Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welsh Water bill - tenant hasn't paid

Hi.

Welsh Water has sent me a bill for around £450.

Tenant said they notified Welsh Water at start of tenancy in one of the COVID lockdowns last year. The tenant is on housing and other benefits and has disabilities and figured that they weren't getting water bills because of benefit entitlements - similar to no council tax bills.

I was unaware of this 21 day regulation never heard of it until recent.

If the tenant signs a letter saying they take responsibility for the water bill, which is their water bill, will i the landlord be out of the Welsh Water bill debt?

Welsh Water also don't have a tenancy copy of move in date for the tenant ... If i send this to them, can they still charge me for future tenant water bills if the tenant doesn't pay?? Or is my responsibility finished up to the notifying of tenancy...

Thanks

You should have notified Welsh Water along with the other utilities and local authorities when the tenancy began (and given them meter readings etc).
    If you don't do that this is exactly the risk you run.

What Welsh Water will do is going to be up to them.
    If your tenancy agreement makes the tenant responsible for paying the utilities, you could recharge them for the water (at cost).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hello jpkeates, thanks for the info.

Do you have any ideas regarding my two questions... Will my responsibility to future bills end when i forward welsh water the tenancy?
      &
      if the tenant signs a letter saying the water debt is their responsibility am i the landlord good?

Thanks and stay well

Comment

Originally posted by NewGuyOne View Post
        Do you have any ideas regarding my two questions.
        Probably, that's what normally happens and I don't know, they may not want to backdate the change.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X