Phased reduction in notice period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phased reduction in notice period

Down from 6 to 4 months "until at least October", and if everything goes to plan re. COVID-19, 2 months from then.

Bailiffs enforcement ban to end.

4 weeks section 8 ground 8 down from 6 months arrears to 4 months. New grounds included on "reduced" notice period.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...notice-periods

EDIT: 2 months s8 notice if less than 4 months arrears from 1 August, probably, the press release wording is contradictory at the moment.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

"Bailiffs have been asked not to carry out an eviction if anyone living in the property has COVID-19 symptoms or is self-isolating."

So easy to defeat the lifting of the ban then!

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
      "Bailiffs have been asked not to carry out an eviction if anyone living in the property has COVID-19 symptoms or is self-isolating."

So easy to defeat the lifting of the ban then!
      A classic charter for the feckless. So not a positive test result !!! Just feeling a bit '' poorly'' with a bit of a '' cough''. God help us all.

Comment

Perce It looks like this is the news we’ve been waiting for 🤞🥳

Comment

Slackjawecyokel - I read this news 100 times to make sure I am not dreaming! But still cannot believe it.

Now I have read somewhere that County Court bailiffs will write to your solicitor to confirm that you still want to proceed with the eviction. The solicitor will need to fill in the form and send it to the court. So you and I need to make sure that the solicitor won't forget to do it.

Comment

Perce thankyou for the heads-up!

Comment

Do we know how it will work with serving notice of eviction date ? If using HCEO can the required 2 weeks notice start before June 1st ?

Comment

Perce some positive news!

could I ask : I read eviction ban may only be lifted for mandatory grounds possession order. Does this apply to section 21 induced possession order. I read my court letter which says possession order granted on mandatory grounds - therefore could I apply for a county court warrant now to be actioned after eviction ban is lifted pending bailiff availability.

Comment

Hello OS7

Yes you can apply now. Why not ? I have my warrant already. My PO is s21 accelerated. Your PO is S21 standard which is also mandatory.

I remember you wanted to wait with applying for the warrant until the ban is lifted.

What is S21 induced possession order?

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

A classic charter for the feckless. So not a positive test result !!! Just feeling a bit '' poorly'' with a bit of a '' cough''. God help us all.
                    I suspect with the ease at which tests can be taken, with almost immediate results, positive covid tests would be a requirement to defeat a warrant.

Comment

[QUOTE=Perce;n1155731]Hello OS7

Yes you can apply now. Why not ? I have my warrant already. My PO is s21 accelerated. Your PO is S21 standard which is also mandatory.

I remember you wanted to wait with applying for the warrant until the ban is lifted.

What is S21 induced possession order?

Hi Perce,
                      what I meant was - possession order was granted on the basis of section 21 notice....
                      when I read the news, it sounded as if, only possession order granted via section 8 only, would be allowed bailiff action...perhaps I have misunderstood.

My court order does says “mandatory” ; could I ask if all possession order via section 21 would be mandatory. My tenant is sort of protesting that it is “no fault” eviction and he will be able to contest this in court again. And furthermore he also said no fault eviction will not be allowed to go ahead when ban is lifted.

Could someone tell me where the government guidance document would be on this topic “ lifting of eviction ban”

Ta

Comment

OS7 - I just spoke to my eviction company and they said that lifting of the ban includes s21.

Comment

OS7

It applies to both S8 and S21.

“Bailiffs will once again be able to undertake evictions from 31 May 2021. Two-weeks’ notice is required to be given to tenants before evictions can take place therefore the earliest evictions can take place will be mid-June.

Where the occupier is self-isolating or has Covid-19 symptoms the appointment will not be carried out.”

Comment

Originally posted by OS7 View Post
                            My tenant is sort of protesting that it is “no fault” eviction and he will be able to contest this in court again. And furthermore he also said no fault eviction will not be allowed to go ahead when ban is lifted.
                            The tenant is clearly a slippery character and if they pick up on the get out clause of '' self isolating'' etc then you may have trouble.

Comment

On the other hand I doubt that bailiffs are daft -I doubt they will have the wool pulled over their eyes by a tenant faking it for long.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to COVID clause in ASTs
                                by KTC
                                Rather than unfair, I wonder whether it can cause the tenancy to be void for uncertainity if it's somehow worded with the effect of you have a tenancy from X date if the existing tenant moves out, but not if they don't for COVID-19 related reasons.
                                01-08-2021, 20:59 PM
                              • COVID clause in ASTs
                                by Hooper
                                Does anyone have anything in their contracts? E.g. clause limiting liability where outbound tenants have to isolate and can't move out in time for commencement of next tenancy?

Anyone had this happen?
                                30-07-2021, 13:23 PM
                              • Reply to Tenants shilly shallying
                                by Hudson01
                                I think you already know the answer to your question, there are simply too many alarm bells for me, i would pull out and get better prospects and conduct the long standing and sensible checks we all have to do, i am sure you know that if you get a '' wrong un ''...... it will end in tears..... you...
                                01-08-2021, 20:25 PM
                              • Tenants shilly shallying
                                by JK0
                                A couple of weeks ago, my friend introduced me to a potential tenant. She liked the flat, agreed the rent, and we agreed she would move in 1st August. I took a week's rent as deposit.

In view of the lady living some distance away, I gave her the key safe combination, as she wanted to get...
                                01-08-2021, 18:56 PM
                                by ash72
                                Always follow your process (if you have any) with any T referencing, even if they are recommended by someone. Most insurance want this conducted to avoid the policy being void.
                                01-08-2021, 19:33 PM
                                by JK0
                                Oh, I don't know the partner from Adam. I just (foolishly) took my friend's assurance that she is good for the money, and she showed me her passport the other day.
                                01-08-2021, 19:20 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
                                by 45002
                                If utilities bill are in tenant's name, LL will not be able to access anything !

Unless LL tries to put bills in their name .
                                01-08-2021, 19:13 PM
                              • Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
                                by haystack1979
                                Our landlord wants to insert a clause in our tenancy agreement to require us to maintain a temperature of 20 degrees in the house in order to mitigate a damp problem, is this legal? It's a very old place with a kitchen with thick stone walls which is poorly ventilated. The previous owner had the damp...
                                30-07-2021, 11:33 AM
                                by ash72
                                If she wants to move in, then get the money back for the locks being changed. If you referenced both T's and they passed, then I would mark it as teething problems especially if the T hasn't rented previously. I avoid this type of situation by getting the T to sign the tenancy at a pre-agreed date and...
                                01-08-2021, 19:07 PM
                              Working...
                              X