Ants and woodlice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ants and woodlice

My tenant is complaining of ants and woodlice. T is the first tenant after I did a whole lot of cleaning and redecorating the bungalow (the bungalow I've mentioned many times before). There were no ants or woodlice in the property when I was cleaning it and redecorating which included putting in a new kitchen and flooring. I cleaned, literally, every square inch of that place! The bungalow had every other kind of filthiness but not these two!

I'm going to buy some insecticide as a gesture of goodwill, but who is legally responsible?

These tenants have complained about everything and say they're not happy there and they're not happy with me and are giving me no peace. They blocked the toilet and called out an emergency drain unblocker company and expected me to pay when the water board would have unblocked it for free. They took the money out of the next month's rent so I've issued S21, S8 and starting a MCOL. Thankfully they're looking for somewhere else.

I would say it is their responsibility, ants can form a nest anywhere, so how this can be a ' fault ' or for the LL to sort would confuse me. It appears you are in luck that they are about to move on, they are a right pain and will only get worse.

Comment

One of mine complained about ants (and gnats) . . . I pointed her in the direction of antkiller (and Raid).

Comment

Ant killer baits are good and cheap to purchase, you need to first find out where they are coming from so that you can place the bait in the right locations. Ants like most pests come due to food/ crumbs on the floor. If you find the colony you could pour boiling hot water down it. You would need to keep this up for at least a period of 3 months if not longer.

Like the ant's you need to get rid of the T's as well as quickly as possible.

Comment

I'm going to buy some ant killer and some woodlice killer after I've been to court over a defended MCOL.

Guess who's having a great day today!

These T's complain about everything, including me, and are very rude to me, calling me stupid etc. They couldn't get the heating working and wanted me to go round NOW and sort it out. As it happened a family member of theirs got it going. I know it works as it's only just had the gas cert. They've got the instruction manual and have been in the property for a year. They were on the verge of doing another emergency call-out.

Last night they were texting, texting, texting about all the things they've complained about. Including the blocked drain - trying to blame me or the last tenants...... in the end I just stopped trying to defend myself and explain things to them.

Their rent is about £40pcm lower than it could be so it looks like I'm going to have to put the rent up or I'll never get them out. That's 6.8% which I think is too high for one increase.

I do my best to make sure my tenants are living in a lovely property and attend any problems asap, but these seem to be making me their first port of call before even trying to see if they can solve the problem themselves.

I'm thinking of camping out on their front lawn so I can be there 24/7.

Comment

What I do is I tell them I received the issue, and will prioritise the issue accordingly, if it's an emergency within 24 hours, then scaling it according to how urgent it is, that way they start to realise that I'm not on call 24 hours a day and that any issues will have to wait. In some ways covid was a blessing as couldn't get any contractors, and suddenly all issue's disappeared, haven't heard from any T's in over a year.....lol

Comment

Quick cheap ant remedy is to find where they are coming from (there will be a nest) and squirt neat Fairy liquid in and around. Wood lice only go where there is damp - that might be worth a further look but they are not lethal. Tenants sound a complete pain.
              I have started pointing out at start of tenancy that if T calls out emergency pay for services they are paying as I have all trades to hand. That does seem to prevent abuse.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

There are plenty of cheap ant killer powders and sprays. They are treating them but complaining about it. I don't know of any damp patches where woodlice would like to live. I've been over every square inch of that property as it was minging when I got it back off the last tenants (yes, it's THAT bungalow!), and yes, they are a complete pita. I can't rest because they keep finding things to complain about.

What some people call an emergency might not be an emergency or the situation has been left until it becomes an emergency which is what I think happened with the blocked toilet at this property. I had one tenant tell me there were cockroaches in the kitchen. I went round and it was ants and they'll tried to kill them with salt!

Comment

BG, one of my flats had a water leak for years before I bought it. It rotted the timber floor plate of the stud walls, and had loads of ants and woodlice. Is that a possibility at your place?

Comment

I doubt it because I did so many repairs and cleaning (every square inch) after the last tenants left the place in a disgusting state. There was a leak in the bathroom but that got fixed and new wooden bath supports and skirting put in and allowed to dry thoroughly. T sent me a picture of one lonely woodlouse. I suspect they might be exaggerating because I gave them a Section 21.

Comment

ants would be getting in through holes e.t.c so how could that possibly be tenants responsibility? landlord needs to seal off where they are entering.

Comment

Do you know how small an ant is? I'd have to hermetically seal the property! Tenants would have to keep the windows and doors closed all the time. Tenant needs to keep the kitchen clean so ants aren't attracted by food.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X