Leaking Toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Toilet

I have had the same tenant in my property for 10 years. The toilet has been leaking during that time, causing the floorboard to rot and water to drip into the kitchen.
    Am i totally responsible for the cost of the repair or the tenant?

Yes I think you are. This is the sort of thing that is supposed to be picked up by periodic inspection, although I do accept that things like this can be hard to spot. It would be hard to make your tenant responsible unless you could show that they wilfully hid the problem.

Comment

May be covered by your insurance, in the first instance get a quote, if it's too much call the insurance to get it fixed, these things happen, but it would be your responsibility, I'm assuming in the 10 years the T's didn't fit and install the toilet, in which case it would be a claim against them, get it sorted asap before the problem becomes bigger, ie the ceiling above falling into the kitchen.

Comment

When the tenant knew about it he should have reported it so probably depends how much damage was done before it was obvious. Not sure I'd rate your chances of getting it from the dps though.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X