Quick question about deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about deposit

Am I correct that the landlord can’t charge me for new carpets, but only for the loss of expected life of the original carpets? Or should I just pay up for an easy life?

The cost would be attributed to the loss of the item (not incl. wear and tear), if you have damaged the carpet by way of burn marks or pet urine and the carpets were new at the time of you moving in, I would expect the full cost back. If in doubt you could raise the issue via the deposit schemes arbitration.

Comment

Carpets weren’t new when I moved in five years ago. There is some damage beyond wear and tear, which I am happy to compensate the landlord for, but do I have to pay the full price of new carpets?

Comment

Originally posted by KittleSkittle View Post
        Carpets weren’t new when I moved in five years ago. There is some damage beyond wear and tear, which I am happy to compensate the landlord for, but do I have to pay the full price of new carpets?
        No.

You are being asked for compensation for a loss beyond fair wear and tear which the landlord is obliged to keep to a minimum.
        The loss would be the lost use of the carpet, which have lasted 5 years already, and would have had an expected lifetime of maybe 8 years.

So unless the new carpet is cheaper than 3/8ths of the original, that should be the basis of the landlord's claim.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X