Is this legal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this legal

Hi there, long story I do rent a house out now but am new to been a landlord. My question relates to the time I rented my friends house (Yes I have learnt don't mix business with pleasure) I rented it for a total of 18 months, she didn't want a bond. I moved out in April 2018, was agreed I would buy a new carpet for one of the bedrooms which I gave the money for, and he would get some quotes for a new garage door as I slightly banged it, its just a cheap door and was actually already broken. Moved out in April 2018, she gave me a reference in the reference it stated that I had agreed to pay for a carpet and a garage door. No more was said, and someone else moved in. Nothing more was said. Then come last week I get an email from her saying she had not heard from me since October 2018 and I owe 5000 in money owed from the time I was living in her property. There were no arrears, so I don't even know what it is from and bare in mind this is from 3 years ago, she said she was waiting for me to contact her, but I wouldn't know too as in October 2018 this is 6 months after I left all was fine. Do I need to worry? Thanks in advance

Have you even asked for an explanation of what the £5k relates to?

How are you finding being a LL..... Done any training? ​​​

Comment

Ignore the demand. You could have changed your email address. Block this person from contacting you again.
      Are you in the UK?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

How did you pay your rent? Can you prove you paid it? Did you get a reference for a new place?

Comment

I think ignoring it is probably best at the moment. No one is going to pay £5k based on a random email. You don't even know whether it's a genuine email. The address may have been hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by notveryhappy123 View Post
            she didn't want a bond.
            This tenancy did not start on a business like basis.You have not contacted them since ending the tenancy so the first contact after this time is bound to be frosty as they will have relied on your friendship to put this right

he would get some quotes for a new garage door
            or is it she, or is it a couple? Ask to see the quotes.

as I slightly banged it, its just a cheap door and was actually already broken
            Do you have photographs? You agreed to put it back into the condition it was before you damaged it. Is your description accurate. I have friends who have just tapped a wall and it is as though it has been hit with a wrecking ball!

I had agreed to pay for a carpet and a garage door
            So are you paying for one garage door? They usually come as a unit perhaps it was not possible to fix.

Do I need to worry?
            Yes, if it goes to court you have agreed to re-instate. Once this gets into the hands of solicitors or the court you will have lost control of both costs and outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
              Ignore the demand. You could have changed your email address. Block this person from contacting you again.
              Are you in the UK?
              Probably the worst advice I've read on this forum to date.

You agreed to pay for a carpet and for the damage to the garage door - you haven't paid so you should.

Conveniently choosing to ignore it for 3 years doesn't make it go away - perhaps the LL should have been in touch sooner too but again that doesn't mean you don't owe for the items you agreed to sort out.

Request a breakdown of the demand you have been sent and go from there.

Research similar garage door prices (inc fitting) online, view carpet prices and estimate how much a carpet would cost (and double it to include fitting). That would give you an idea of the amount to be paid.

£5,000 immediately appears excessive but £2,000 may not be.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

I assumed you'd paid for the carpet and the garage door. Is that what's outstanding?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X