Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant saying house not liveable and not allowing us to remedy any works

Hi

I have a rental property which I let through the council. When the previous tenant left, they damaged a few kitchen units and left the property untidy...

After they left, the council sent somebody to have a look at the property, and the report was totally over the top (their colleagues also agreed).. However I decided to totally refurb the property... New kitchen, bathroom, carpets, painting etc.. I didn't want to undertake these works until I had time but decided to just get it done, know they have raised a few issues...

The builders I had doing the work, were a bit slack and took a few months to do the work instead of a few weeks...after they finished the first works they sent us photos confirming it was all done... I didn't have time to attend as was in a different city... They council came and took photos and signed up a new tenant...

A week after she signed up, she moved in and found some issues, life a loose kitchen work top and unit, downstairs toilet not secured properly and a couple of loose sockets...

I offered to get these rectified the next day.... The tenant declined and said she doesn't want the property...works would have been rectified before the council would have had her cooker, washing machine etc delivered..

The council offer a rent guarantee, if the tenant breaches the tenancy... But they are saying we cannot claim on that as the property is not liveable...

My argument is... They allowed her to sign up, my electrician has signed off the electrics as safe... And I have offered to remedy any works (and anything else she wanted - to keep her sweet), but she has declined and council don't want to pay...

We have certificates to prove electrics are safe and electrician is happy to back this up and sort anything to keep them. Happy....

Do we have an argument here???

​​​​
    ​​​​​​.
    ​​​

​​​​​

​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Comment

You may well do but why push it, if a tenant does not want to live in my property i let them go...... in this current mess we are all in having an uncooperative tenant is something no one wants. I agree that what you describe could no way count as the place be uninhabitable, but she clearly does not wish to live there, i am sure there will be another along soon enough who do wish to live in the place..... especially given the mass of work you have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounce View Post
          Hi
          I have a rental property which I let through the council.
          ​​​​​
          Mistake number 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
            You may well do but why push it, if a tenant does not want to live in my property i let them go...... in this current mess we are all in having an uncooperative tenant is something no one wants. I agree that what you describe could no way count as the place be uninhabitable, but she clearly does not wish to live there, i am sure there will be another along soon enough who do wish to live in the place..... especially given the mass of work you have done.
            If the tenant wants to forfeit the tenancy that is fine, my argument is with the council, saying the house is unliveable, therefore cannot guarantee the rent as promised before... This is what I am wanting to argue.. She signed the tenancy 10 days ago, and will be giving the keys back in next couple of days... What happens to any damage that wasn't there before... As the council have taken 100s of photos so the know the condition before...

Seems they are not wanting to pay anything out...

Comment

Photos of the house... I have seen worse...

With this its all brand new... Yes some imperfections which we were willing to get rectified... But generally not bad... Just annoyed council won't pay out through rent guarantee after letting tenant forfeit the tenancy because she doesn't feel it's. Liveable and doesn't want us to rectify it...

Comment

Seems they are not wanting to pay anything out...
                This i can relate too.... i deal with councils a lot in my job, and their charming tenants, i would never (take that as a total never) give my properties to any council, clearly you see something in this arrangement a lot of LL's do not, but getting cash out of councils is always an uphill struggle.

Comment

From previous experience, they haven't been too bad, however this time, them saying it's unliveable, when I have seen some very bad property (not mine) is annoying.. Especially as a landlord I was willing to rectify anything straight away (the are some landlords that don't do anything!)

Comment

From previous experience, they haven't been too bad, however this time, them saying it's unliveable, when I have seen some very bad property (not mine) is annoying.. Especially as a landlord I was willing to rectify anything straight away (the are some landlords that don't do anything!)
                    That is the thing - you have re-acted to their demands and now they want more and more to just make you earn the rent. Let them go. IMO your luck has just run out letting to council tenants.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Let the tenant go asap! She'll only be more trouble further down the line.

Never, ever, let to the council. It sounds like you've been lucky in the past, but councils put difficult to place tenants in PRS houses. Lots of landlords have been there done that - me included and NEVER again!

Comment

I'm struggling with the idea that anyone spending a few grand on refurbishment wouldn't make the effort to go and check the work. It's business. You were allowed to travel.

Comment

didn't the EICR say anything about loose sockets?

There isn't much you can do anyway, sue the council over a couple of weeks 'guaranteed' rent? They will likely have a claim that the property wasn't ready to be lived in, and they have plenty of time and deep pockets to defend it...

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                            I'm struggling with the idea that anyone spending a few grand on refurbishment wouldn't make the effort to go and check the work. It's business. You were allowed to travel.
                            Its in a different city, I had been there a few times to check and things seemed OK (even though it took them a lot longer to do the job than estimated), hence trusting them on the final bits.. As the tenants wanted to move in the day after they had finished...

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post
                              didn't the EICR say anything about loose sockets?

There isn't much you can do anyway, sue the council over a couple of weeks 'guaranteed' rent? They will likely have a claim that the property wasn't ready to be lived in, and they have plenty of time and deep pockets to defend it...
                              The electrician has said as you cannot see any live wires or fit a finger into the gap its fine, when queried this with him yesterday..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X