Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No DSS pays well

https://www.lettingagenttoday.co.uk/...against-tenant

The lady on benefits has now taken 3 lettings agencies to court.

£15,000 out of court settlement from 1st two plus money from the 3rd in court.

Not a bad income - she wont need the benefits soon.

Only income related benefits will be effected, savings between 6000 and 16,000 benefits start to be reduced, over 16,000 No IR benefits...
    Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Hayley is a smart lady indeed..... a nice little earner there, to beat her at the game all that needs to be done, is show her the property and then explain to the LL (without the lady there) the circumstances of her employment and the LL can make the decision. Easy enough. At the moment it must be like fishing in a barrel for the lady !!!
      Last edited by Hudson01; 21-04-2021, 17:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Eh, I don't get this. You can ask about their source of income right, and check that in your opinion they will be able to meet the payments? And thus you can rent, or not rent to whoever you want, just don't ever say or advertise it's because of benefits?

I really don't see what the rule achives, if a LL doesn't want to rent to 'DSS' they really don't have to do they?

Anyway one of my best Tenants was on benefits. One could argue a 'good' Tenant on benefits is safer than a number of tenants one who is not, but I wouldn't automtically have that opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy01 View Post
          Eh, I don't get this. You can ask about their source of income right, and check that in your opinion they will be able to meet the payments? And thus you can rent, or not rent to whoever you want, just don't ever say or advertise it's because of benefits?

I really don't see what the rule achives, if a LL doesn't want to rent to 'DSS' they really don't have to do they?

Anyway one of my best Tenants was on benefits. One could argue a 'good' Tenant on benefits is safer than a number of tenants one who is not, but I wouldn't automtically have that opinion.
          I've noticed rents in my area have gone right up - to above what most people on benefits could afford. By the time the prospective tenant has got the benefits dept to confirm the amount they'll get in HB for the property it'll be let to somebody else anyway. And a landlord could always be very slow in dealing with that particular tenant's paperwork.

If a landlord doesn't want a tenant who relies completely on benefits they're just not going to accept them.

I accept HB as long as the person is working and the amount of HB or UCHE is small.

Comment

As said elsewhere:

Benefits are changing, but some landlords don't seem to have realised it yet.

Many full time working people, especially those with children, will be claiming Universal Credit soon.

Many full time workers are already already are claiming benefits - but some landlords don't regard the benefits that they are currently claiming as "BENEFITS".

That's partly because currently some benefits are being paid by HMRC (the Taxman) rather than by the DWP.
            (The 'DSS' hasn't existed for years).

Those benefit that are currently paid by HMRC are now being 'migrated' into UC and so in future all benefits will paid by the DWP, so many full time workers will be getting UC.

This all means that landlords will either have to learn about UC and judge which elements of UC a potential claimant is claiming, or stick with a blanket 'no benefits' policy and miss out on a large potential market of perfectly acceptable tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
              As said elsewhere:

Benefits are changing, but some landlords don't seem to have realised it yet.

Many full time working people, especially those with children, will be claiming Universal Credit soon.

Many full time workers are already already are claiming benefits - but some landlords don't regard the benefits that they are currently claiming as "BENEFITS".

That's partly because currently some benefits are being paid by HMRC (the Taxman) rather than by the DWP.
              (The 'DSS' hasn't existed for years).

Those benefit that are currently paid by HMRC are now being 'migrated' into UC and so in future all benefits will paid by the DWP, so many full time workers will be getting UC.

This all means that landlords will either have to learn about UC and judge which elements of UC a potential claimant is claiming, or stick with a blanket 'no benefits' policy and miss out on a large potential market of perfectly acceptable tenants.
              I think when a landlord says 'No DSS' they mean 'no tenants who rely completely on benefits for their income'.

Lots of tenants are eligible for benefits, including child benefit, so to exclude them would be just silly and I doubt any landlord would exclude such tenants or they would be excluding all tenants with children with the exception of a very few.

Comment

Will this make it easier or harder for DSS tenants to get viewings?

Far better to tackle the causes rather than the consequences if you genuinely want to sort out the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post

I think when a landlord says 'No DSS' they mean 'no tenants who rely completely on benefits for their income'.
                  You are totally correct, this is how i think. I '' work '' in an environment where lots of my '' customers '' fall into this category, i could not in all good conscience let my properties to this demographic when i have such issues with them in my day job.
                  Last edited by Hudson01; 22-04-2021, 20:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                    Will this make it easier or harder for DSS tenants to get viewings?

Far better to tackle the causes rather than the consequences if you genuinely want to sort out the problem.
                    I don't think it will make it harder on the tenants in receipt of benefits. It will waste a lot of peoples time, but hopefully it will give many tenants who are in receipt of benefits and are actually decent tenants, a better chance.

In the SE, it is quite common for tenants to be in receipt of some benefits. Over the years I have had a total of 9 sets of tenants in receipt of some or full benefits. 6 were excellent tenants (they all had jobs). Of the other 3, they were nightmares (and incidentally, they did not have jobs).

Comment

Dhss ( L.h.A )
                      Easy, just tell ALL the aplicants that you have had 5 offers and you have to refuse the accomodation to 4 of them, as you can't have 5 people / families in one house / flat, as that would be illegal and that they are the unfortunate ones of the 4 that cannot be offered the accomodation.

You are running a business, and it's your decission to get the best paying tenant, and not the role of the Government.

Just don't mention no dhss.

Comment

Landlords, are rejected Housing Benefits, as the system is crooked and works against landlord. If I want my property back, why do I need to go to the Courts? Why do the council tell them to do that?

Rather then fixing the problem, they are using discriminations.

When Council introduced HMO Licensing or Article 4, you could argue that discriminates against single people. To force properties to be rented to families rather then sharers.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                          Dhss ( L.h.A )
                          Easy, just tell ALL the aplicants that you have had 5 offers and you have to refuse the accomodation to 4 of them, as you can't have 5 people / families in one house / flat, as that would be illegal and that they are the unfortunate ones of the 4 that cannot be offered the accomodation.

You are running a business, and it's your decission to get the best paying tenant, and not the role of the Government.

Just don't mention no dhss.
                          This is exactly what I've done in the past. I've also put my rent up on properties as they become empty so it's above what most unemployed people can afford on HB. Tenants are losing out again. I was letting a house out for £450 pcm last year but now it's £550 pcm to raise it above LHA rate and I can legitimately refuse 'DSS'. It's still cheaper than other properties nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post

This is exactly what I've done in the past. I've also put my rent up on properties as they become empty so it's above what most unemployed people can afford on HB. Tenants are losing out again. I was letting a house out for £450 pcm last year but now it's £550 pcm to raise it above LHA rate and I can legitimately refuse 'DSS'. It's still cheaper than other properties nearby.
                            Very sensible approach, in the end all the govt interference and LL bashing will only come back and bite the tenants of the future. Sad really.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X