Can tenants change rooms around ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can tenants change rooms around ?

This is my first time renting. I have let my flat unfurnished 3 bedrooms and 1living room nd 1 kitchen with a fridgefreezer. The tenants have been informed about where all the bedrooms, living room etc are. The appartment has been let since 2005. The living room stayed as a living and the bedrooms stayed as bedrooms. Up till this year I noticed the living was changed into a bedroom with a fridgefreezer, wardrobe double bed and sofa in the living room. The small bedroom (which has a built in wardrobe and space for a double bed) was made into the living room. Can they do this even though I am not happy with them changing the living room into a bedroom and putting fridgefreezer, wardrobe double bed in there ? Can tenanats change rooms arond like this ? What would be the course of action if I tell them to change it back ? Am I going a bit over the top if I serve notice, if they don't take them out ?

If they are paying the rent and no harm has been done in moving furniture around then why worry?
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Landlords must remember that tenants are entitled to quiet enjoyment. By your own admission the only movable furnishing is a fridge. Therefore why not let them decide how to use each of the bare rooms?

If they have not physically damaged your property and are paying their rent on time and in full - you do not have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
        Landlords must remember that tenants are entitled to quiet enjoyment. By your own admission the only movable furnishing is a fridge. Therefore why not let them decide how to use each of the bare rooms?

If they have not physically damaged your property and are paying their rent on time and in full - you do not have a problem.
        But they did not inform me that they would like to change the rooms around. Also, I stated that I would not like it changed. Why would 2 tenants want 2 fridges ? Previously,1 extra person was living there which they did not tell me. How can I trust that another person won't move in ?
        Last edited by CHERRY; 16-05-2008, 18:28 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by CHERRY View Post
          But they did not inform me that they would like to change the rooms around.

For the term of the tenancy, to all intents and purposes, the property belongs to the tenants. If you have some emotional attachment to the property, then you should leave it empty because, for the time being you have swapped most of your rights over the premises for money. You can't have your cake and eat it unfortunately.

Would you like your mortgage company to pitch up and tell you which rooms you should use for what purpose in your house? To a certain extent, that is what you would be doing to the tenants.
          Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by CHERRY View Post
            But they did not inform me that they would like to change the rooms around. Also, I stated that I would not like it changed. Why would 2 tenants want 2 fridges ? Previously,1 extra person was living there which they did not tell me. How can I trust that another person won't move in ?
            Maybe one is a beer fridge? lol
            Seriously some fridges are rather small, they just might like to keep their things separately
            Also one tenant may be vegetarian and is worried about cross contamination
            Please note i may be in pumpkin mode, the light might be on but i may not be here

Comment

I completely agree with the above posts. I don't see the issue unless damage is being caused.

On our contracts it states the the furnishings have to be in the same place as listed on the inventory from when the contract started, when they move out (albeit worded slightly better!).

I think it would be very hard to say, no you can't move that fridge over there, because I don't like it there.

Having said that, if you don't like it and the timing is right then feel free to serve a S21.

Kind regards,

John

Comment

Agree that the whole thing about reassigning rooms to different purpose is a total non-problem.

However, is there a separate issue, which the OP has hinted at, ie that the room changes may have been done with the specific aim of getting another tenant in there.... could the property be being turned into an HMO without the OP's consent/knowledge? That could have more serious implications.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                  Agree that the whole thing about reassigning rooms to different purpose is a total non-problem.

However, is there a separate issue, which the OP has hinted at, ie that the room changes may have been done with the specific aim of getting another tenant in there.... could the property be being turned into an HMO without the OP's consent/knowledge? That could have more serious implications.
                  Yes, I agree that extra tenants are always a problem although this isn't particularly what the OP was stating.

It almost seems like this is more of a general worry, rather than stating they believe the rooms have been moved around to get more people in.

In an unfurnished house, you can simply not criticise the amount of fridges a tenant has! Maybe they like to store lots of food or as someone else said, drink lots of beer! Granted, if you have strong suspicions or indeed proof that the amount of tenants is increasing then that is a comletely different worry.

Kind regards,

John

Comment

the property is unfurnished so the tenants had to bring all their own furniture. It could be that they already owned a fridge so weren't actually in need of the one you provided. What would you prefer they dumped your fridge so there was only one in the property!

The rooms might have been changed around for any number of reasons e.g. too sunny in mornings to be a bedroom, too hot/cold, wanted more space in bedroom, noisy neighbours above a particular room. Frankly it's none of your business.

Why do you care so much if they change the rooms around??

Comment

Another reason for a second fridge is to store kosher / halal food in.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_ldn View Post
                        Another reason for a second fridge is to store kosher / halal food in.
                        Or corpses.
                        Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
                          Or corpses.
                          Not at all. Cellars are used for that, surely.
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

No, that's what patios are for. Fridges are used by vampires to store snacks
                            I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                              by OS7
                              Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                              30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                            • MCOL & PCOL
                              by OS7
                              Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                              04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                            • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                              by meyou5ick
                              I actually signed the terms in the beginning of the contract, and I have not witnessed this before but these guys had another page where they mentioned this. Now my issue is that given how abysmal their service was and me paying from my own pocket, I should have disbanded the contract then. The issue...
                              30-11-2021, 04:32 AM
                            • Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                              by meyou5ick
                              Dear all,

I was letting my place to tenants that were sourced by this estate agent. The estate agent however misrepresented myself and misled the tenants about what's included in the monthly rental cost. The tenant had complained to the agent however, I had to pay for 6 months of services...
                              29-11-2021, 16:04 PM
                            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by AndrewDod
                              Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                              29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                            • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                              by Bert1e
                              Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                              28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                            • Reply to Letting Agent asking for commission of I renew tenants privately
                              by Hudson01
                              Did you use them on a tenant find service only ? If so then read the contract you signed and see what it says about what you are about to do, i use the tenant find service but then let the leases go into periodic, i pay the agent nothing and never have done, maybe if i signed another 12 AST a fee may...
                              29-11-2021, 19:44 PM
                            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by jpkeates
                              There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                              That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                              29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
                            • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by Mr. Sparkle
                              About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
                              29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
                            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                              by theartfullodger
                              No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
                              https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
                              29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                            Working...
                            X