Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shower door not attached-keys not collected yet

Good morning,
    An inventory done on a property that we are due to collect keys from soon (TA signed and started on Saturday, deposit and first month rent paid ) has according to the inventory, one shower door not attached to the cubicle shower.

We've asked the agent (who manages the property)to get this rectified before we move in but no response.

We're worried about escape of water. Is there anything we can do to get the agent to feel motivated to sort it out?
    Thank
    you in advance.

Originally posted by forest777 View Post
    We've asked the agent (who manages the property)to get this rectified before we move in but no response.

We're worried about escape of water. Is there anything we can do to get the agent to feel motivated to sort it out?
    Not really - to be honest.

They'll either do something about it or they won't.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It is probably not one of those jobs that is easy to sort out. Depending on the style of the cubicle you could buy a 'tension' rail between the sides of the cubicle and hang a shower curtain. Have a look on Amazon.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

You mean you're already paying rent for days that you're not even living there?

Comment

Dear all,

I picked up keys to a property on Monday 19th April and given the inventory which was done on Friday 16th April. The inventory was done without telling me when it was going to happen - that is when I asked the LA about it, he merely told me that it was already done. The TA began on Saturday 17th April.

Anyway, the inventory asked for signatures asking us to agree that it was a fair representation of the facts inclusive of agreement to as of today's date.

inventory agreement.jpeg

There were damaged items that were missed by the clerk so we've taken our own photos and our own video inventory (a couple in the next garden announced the date to us as reasonable evidence of the date) and added the new items to the inventory check in.

I sent it to the LA via email who ignored it. We haven't signed it because of the missed items and also the amendments haven't been agreed to. My questions are as follows:

1.) Apparently we are deemed to have accepted the inventory if we haven't signed it within 7 days. However we have made it clear that there are discrepancies. Does it matter that we haven't signed it yet? Will it matter if the DPS have sight of it if there are any disputes at the end of the tenancy?

2.) Will our own photos and video inventory carry any weight if required? We have sent the photos in a zip file and the Video Inventory with a Youtube link to the LA via email (they are managing and we don't have the LL's contact details) and ask that they forward it on to the LL. Should I request the LL's details so I can make sure they get it?

It has gone very quiet from the agent since they have their money and signed agreement. I just want to make sure that the LL is aware that we feel there are discrepancies to protect ourselves in the event of a DPS dispute.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comment

Make sure you keep all the evidence showing the discrepancies and the correspondence to the LA. If you have LL contact details I would send it to him too. It's the LL who will lose out if you haven't signed it as he will need it as evidence if there is a deposit dispute.

Comment

I've copied in my wife too in the emails. I don't have the LL's details - they seem to be quite coy about revealing them. They broke a shower door off the cubicle and left it unattached inside the cubicle when they were staying there a few days before vacating it without bothering to fix it.

Comment

Its standard practice to prepare the inventory in advance and get the tenant to sign it on move-in day. Tenants just need to record any discrepancies on the inventory form before signing.

Comment

Please quote in full any definition and all clauses in the tenancy agreement which refer to the inventory.

If it is not in the tenancy agreement, where does it say that you are deemed to have accepted the inventory if you have not signed it within 7 days?

Comment

I would write the discrepancies on the inventory and then sign it and return it. Keep a copy for when you move out.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                      I would write the discrepancies on the inventory and then sign it and return it. Keep a copy for when you move out.
                      Best not to do that or anything until we know what the tenancy agreement says.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

Best not to do that or anything until we know what the tenancy agreement says.
                        Thank you. The inventory was emailed to me last Friday and a hard copy given to me on Monday. So according to the below, am I still within 7 days to sign?

Here is the relevant clause:

18. Inventory and Checkout
                        18.1. To agree that the check-in report of the Inventory and Schedule of Condition given to the Tenant at the start of the Tenancy will be regarded as a true record of the condition of the Property and will be used to assess all damage for check-out purposes at the end of the Tenancy, if a signed copy with any
                        amendments or alterations is not returned to the Landlord or the Agent within seven days of its receipt by the Tenant

Inventory. Agree an inventory (or check-in report) with your landlord before you move
                        in and, as an extra safeguard, make sure that you take photos. This will make things
                        easier if there is a dispute about the deposit at the end of the tenancy. If you are happy
                        with the inventory, sign it and keep a copy. From 1 June 2019, landlords/letting agents

Comment

I say it again!

Comment

I say it again!
                            Yes. I am doing it now. Thank you very much.

Comment

18. Inventory and Checkout
                              18.1. To agree that the check-in report of the Inventory and Schedule of Condition given to the Tenant at the start of the Tenancy will be regarded as a true record of the condition of the Property and will be used to assess all damage for check-out purposes at the end of the Tenancy, if a signed copy with any amendments or alterations is not returned to the Landlord or the Agent within seven days of its receipt by the Tenant
                              Bad drafting.

It is in the form of an agreement to agree which is void.

The form is such that if a signed copy with amendments is returned the version you were sent does not apply but there is no provision for the amended version to take its place, nor is there are provision for what happens if the amended version is not agreed. The effect would therefore seem to be that if you do not respond the version they sent is to be used, but if you respond with an amended version then there will be no inventory at all. However, as I said in the previous paragraph, the whole clause is probably void.

Is the Inventory and Schedule of Condition referred to elsewhere in the agreement? If so, please quote the clauses.

Inventory. Agree an inventory (or check-in report) with your landlord before you move
                              in and, as an extra safeguard, make sure that you take photos. This will make things
                              easier if there is a dispute about the deposit at the end of the tenancy. If you are happy
                              with the inventory, sign it and keep a copy. From 1 June 2019, landlords/letting agents
                              Where does it say the above?

What have you done so far?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X