Carpet Damage Zero Deposit Guarantee

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Carpet Damage Zero Deposit Guarantee

    Hopefully someone can advise me.

    I am a landlord and my tenants of six months recently vacated and left a large burn mark on the hallway carpet which was fitted just before they moved in. They have owned up to the damage.

    They signed up with the letting agent through a zero deposit guarantee and I am wondering what my options are with regards to claiming for the damage?

    As the carpet is only six months old, am I entitled to have a new carpet fitted?

    I would greatly appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

    #2
    I would suggest that as the carpet is less than a year old you are entitled to claim the cost of the carpet (not the replacement) in full.

    Comment


      #3
      If the tenants have got any sense they will pay you separately as the deposit scheme will still come after them for the money. I don't know whether these schemes add an administration fee to that or increase any future premiums, but I assume its like most insurance schemes - not in the buyers interest to claim most of the time.

      Comment


        #4
        jpucng62,

        Thank you for your reply.

        Just to clarify what you mean, are you saying that I’m entitled to what I paid for the carpet at the time and not what it would cost me now to have it replaced?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Tm19 View Post
          jpucng62,

          Just to clarify what you mean, are you saying that I’m entitled to what I paid for the carpet at the time and not what it would cost me now to have it replaced?
          That is correct - my understanding is that you are entitled to claim for what you have lost not what you subsequently buy. In this case you probably don't need new underlay, grippers or door bars, just the carpet.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post

            That is correct - my understanding is that you are entitled to claim for what you have lost not what you subsequently buy. In this case you probably don't need new underlay, grippers or door bars, just the carpet.
            Thank you Jpucng62 for the clarification, hadn’t thought about the fact that I won’t need underlay etc!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
              If the tenants have got any sense they will pay you separately as the deposit scheme will still come after them for the money. I don't know whether these schemes add an administration fee to that or increase any future premiums, but I assume its like most insurance schemes - not in the buyers interest to claim most of the time.
              Thank you DPT57 for your kind reply. I will certainly bear this in mind going forward. It’s my first experience with the Zero Deposit Guarantee and wasn’t really sure how it all actually worked.

              I assumed that what the tenant paid was like an insurance policy should something go wrong and if I was to claim for the carpet that the Zero Deposit Scheme would pay for it and not have any repercussions on the tenants apart from maybe affecting a future no claims bonus if they used the scheme in the future as you mentioned.

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              Working...
              X