Reasons to Exit the Private Rental Sector.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
    The article says tenants would pay an average of an extra £72 per month if they were allowed to decorate. That's a lot of money. My tenants wouldn't be able to afford that.
    It doesn't say that anyone would have to pay more - it says that some would be prepared to pay that much more if they were allowed to decorate.
    (It's an article from the DIY industry - they obviously want tenants to decorate)

    Comment


      #17
      I'm a weird one when it comes to decorating. I'm all happy for a tenant to redecorate as they see fit if it makes them more comfortable.

      I think I've mentioned before that when I have decided on new tenants that I will ask them what colour scheme they want and then I will have my decorator friend go in and decorate the place as the tenants requested. Now most don't change anything but some do. Some with some stark changes. One had a feature wall of the chimney breast painted with this fantastic red with the walls behind the same colour. It's changed that room so much for the better and looks considerably nicer than if it had been brilliant white or magnolia on everything.

      I honestly believe that if a tenant is given the opportunity to make a place their own by decorating, hanging pictures, putting up shelves, whatever.. that they are more inclined to look after the place as they now have a connection to the building.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post
        It doesn't say that anyone would have to pay more - it says that some would be prepared to pay that much more if they were allowed to decorate.
        (It's an article from the DIY industry - they obviously want tenants to decorate)
        I think the tenants in the article would be happy to pay extra rather than having to pay more.

        Comment


          #19
          I'm always surprised when tenants keep my curtains. I choose decent quality but they form as much a part of the colour scheme as the walls and yet most tenants live with my choice. I like the curtains I put up but I am not a 20 something youngster so they may not - so much easier than painting & a relatively cheap fix too.

          PS I still use magnolia - white & grey look so stark & battleship

          Comment


            #20
            I just replaced an electric socket that had been painted over gluing up the switch!

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Codger View Post
              I just replaced an electric socket that had been painted over gluing up the switch!
              I had the same - a darkish disgusting green.

              Comment


                #22
                The worst dark green was a stairwell with dark carpets ,walls and two turns in the stairs. It was disorienting as you could not see the steps.

                Comment


                  #23
                  I agree all my tenants want white - white walls, white ikea chest of drawers , white wardrobes, white kitchen. It makes my life easier cos everyone loves white (except for me I d personally like some deep navy accents with that white).

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by ExpertInAField View Post
                    I'm a weird one when it comes to decorating. I'm all happy for a tenant to redecorate as they see fit if it makes them more comfortable.

                    I think I've mentioned before that when I have decided on new tenants that I will ask them what colour scheme they want and then I will have my decorator friend go in and decorate the place as the tenants requested. Now most don't change anything but some do. Some with some stark changes. One had a feature wall of the chimney breast painted with this fantastic red with the walls behind the same colour. It's changed that room so much for the better and looks considerably nicer than if it had been brilliant white or magnolia on everything.

                    I honestly believe that if a tenant is given the opportunity to make a place their own by decorating, hanging pictures, putting up shelves, whatever.. that they are more inclined to look after the place as they now have a connection to the building.
                    Agreed tbh. They're likely to stay there for a while too.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      The flat I am presently working on was repainted by my tenants. The idle b******s painted over the dirty edges of the light switches rather than remove them.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I have spent the afternoon scraping gloss paint off a UPVC doorframe!

                        Comment


                          #27
                          After spending days and days sanding blood red and pink paint which was also satin finish so impossible to paint over without sanding/keying I'm magnolia and white all the way. Ignoring the paint spatter on almost everything except where it was meant to be and the massive big lumps of paint on the walls that looked like a type of artex

                          All the best

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I love woodchip . I paper three walls in it and one wall in patterned paper. I find woodchip puts tenants off repapering walls with woodchip on. Wood chip is also easy to patch if you tear the edges of the patch rather than cut with scissors. Most of my skirting boards are painted grey. This is great because in rooms that don't get much sun it doesn't discolour like white does.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                              I love woodchip . I paper three walls in it and one wall in patterned paper.
                              I can't believe anyone puts woodchip up! I spend my life stripping it off!

                              I accept what you say Berlingogirl, but I couldn't bring myself to put woodchip anywhere!

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by boletus View Post

                                Generally they are incompetent amateurs doing a shoddy job using low quality products in garish colours that has to be rectified before it can be re let again.
                                The damage they've caused can rarely be charged for and it pushes up rents for all tenants.
                                so true i agree

                                Comment

                                Latest Activity

                                Collapse

                                • Reply to Smoking tenant
                                  by Hudson01
                                  I can only echo the above comments, you have done what you need too, although to be honest i would have taken this action years ago, if you have never liked all the smoke then why put up with it for so long...... I would be very unhappy about all the smoke but i would seriously consider selling both...
                                  13-05-2021, 19:42 PM
                                • Smoking tenant
                                  by renting25
                                  Please can you offer us advice as to whether there is any action that can be taken to stop a very serious situation of anti social behaviour.My wife and myself own 2 maisonettes a upstairs owned by me that we both live in and a downstairs that is owned by my wife and she has rented the property out...
                                  13-05-2021, 17:17 PM
                                • Reply to Early change of Landlord
                                  by theartfullodger
                                  Sympathy! Don't forget to advise tenants to pursue the agent's complaints process and when that process fails - (I can foresee the future) - to use the lettings agent redress scheme. See here advice from Mssrs Shelter..
                                  https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes

                                  Good luck:...
                                  13-05-2021, 19:34 PM
                                • Early change of Landlord
                                  by islandgirl
                                  Would be grateful for thoughts on this. Daughter signed student tenancy for next academic year on Monday this week. LL shown as an individual with the same name as the letting agency. Yesterday she was told that the LL wishes to self manage and to change her standing order payment to an investment company...
                                  13-05-2021, 09:52 AM
                                • Reply to Smoking tenant
                                  by Jon66
                                  Yes I agree with the above. Make sure you have complied with statutory requirements to ensure any s21 is valid.
                                  13-05-2021, 18:59 PM
                                • Reply to Smoking tenant
                                  by ash72
                                  You have been provided the advice by your legal council, if you want them out seek possession of the property (do it before S21 is removed), you need to now moved to the next stage which is put in an application for possession, then finally bailiffs. I would also stop complaining to the T's it is harassment,...
                                  13-05-2021, 17:44 PM
                                • Reply to New landlord needs some advice
                                  by DPT57
                                  She wouldn't be able to rent it straight away anyway if you carry out referencing, (which you should), as this takes a few days. I get people to complete an application form too. A lot of prospective tenants are flaky on OR. Some promise to call you and you never hear from them again, even if you try...
                                  13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
                                • New landlord needs some advice
                                  by wenqi
                                  Hi, I am just a new landlord who is renting our first property using openrent. I do need some advice from you.

                                  We had a very lovely lady to view our house. She looked love our property and wanted to take it straight away. Because she came alone (her partner was working), my husband advised...
                                  12-05-2021, 19:56 PM
                                • Reply to 'Replacement tenancy' issue
                                  by berliner
                                  "If the new tenancy is for a lesser rent, the tenant will remain liable to pay an amount equal to the difference between the original rent and new lower rental figure up to the end of the original fixed term."

                                  I read in a similar post that such a clause might not be enforceab...
                                  13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
                                • 'Replacement tenancy' issue
                                  by berliner
                                  Good afternoon and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

                                  Back in October, I found replacement tenants to take over my joint AST (without break clause) which would have run until this July. Because of Covid, I could only find someone who was willing to pay about £400 pcm less than...
                                  13-05-2021, 17:22 PM
                                Working...
                                X