Reasons to Exit the Private Rental Sector.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Reasons to Exit the Private Rental Sector.....

    Well this has really taken the biscuit. Almost 7 months ago I served my tenants with 6 months notice. Notice expired end of March and they are still in the house. I arranged a video call to get an update on their situation and well, 4 hours later I am still in shock!

    Here's the latest, I am a really nasty person and 'I have a social responsibility and duty to house my tenants'. Err, no I haven't, but I pointed out that I did offer them another house but they declined because it was 2 miles away. Tenant also told me, 'what makes you think we would want to rent off of you when I am forcing them to leave their current home?' I am wrong to want to have my home back and I shouldn't worry about CGT accumulating because I don't have to pay it until I sell the property! It is my fault that the tenants can't find a house they really like. They really like my house and they don't want to move because it is so conveniently located. They say over the past 7 months, they have viewed 5 properties and they only liked one but the landlord decided to accept other applicants (sensible Landlord!). There was a second property which would have been suitable (it was next door to parents home) but the landlord has decided to sell because he no longer wants to be a Landlord. I pointed out that many Landlords are exiting the market or reducing the size of their portfolios so I am not the only one by far. Tenant then repeated that I have a social responsibility and a duty to society to house people. Again, I said no I don't have a social responsibility to house anyone but he just kept saying yes I do. He was repeatedly telling me that I am a nasty person and that he was very annoyed at me. I still can't believe the way he was lecturing me! I think he must have gotten me muddled with one of his school pupils.

    Tenant said, 'We have a dilemma here. We have done everything in our powers to find another house, so what are we to do?' I explained that they might be a bit too specific about what they want and perhaps they should broaden their search? That was rebuffed with 'no, we want to stay here and you have a duty to house us!' So, yet again, I said no I don't and you've had plenty of time to find another home. I also told them to go to the Council because they would help them as they do have a duty to help.

    I told the tenant I was ending the call and that I had no choice but to apply to the Courts for a possession order.

    So, in summary, my tenants have viewed 5 properties in 7 months. Currently on Rightmove tonight, there are no less than 14 properties within half a mile of my house (a few are recently let). I am totally responsible for the predicament my tenants are in and I am a nasty person! Oh the joys of being a Landlord!!

    Anyone else want to throw the towel in?


    #2
    Some tenants confuse being tenants with being home owners. If you never want to move, want to decorate, own pets, live in squalor etc etc - buy your own home!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
      Some tenants confuse being tenants with being home owners. If you never want to move, want to decorate, own pets, live in squalor etc etc - buy your own home!
      Oh how true this is....... i have told many a person who i deal with in my job this exact thing, they moan and complain that they have neighbors who deal/take drugs, they have lots of ASB, they have neighbors who argue all the time etc etc..... but the house they have is free ! i.e it is totally paid for by the tax payer. When you get given something for free, you have little choice on what that free thing is !!!

      Maybe making different job,education, crime (ie not to become a criminal themselves) decisions in the past was in order.

      I do despair on why some people look to others to solve problems that they themselves have brought to their door by poor life choices now and in the past. We (LL's) are not registered charities, we have no more social responsibility than the local supermarket supplying food to the population.

      Just continue with your current path and when two blokes in body armour are at the door and telling them they need to move out in an hour ...... i am sure they may regret past life choices. All the best.
      Last edited by Hudson01; 14-04-2021, 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
        Some tenants confuse being tenants with being home owners. If you never want to move, want to decorate, own pets, live in squalor etc etc - buy your own home!
        What's wrong with them wanting to decorate? Also, RE: living in squalor - As long as it doesn't negatively affect the house / make it smell, what's the issue? Regarding pets, I'd just charge extra for them tbh.

        People can't necessarily "buy their own home" too. That doesn't excuse the above tenants however. Those tenants are being unreasonable.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by an0nymous View Post

          What's wrong with them wanting to decorate? Also, RE: living in squalor - As long as it doesn't negatively affect the house / make it smell, what's the issue? Regarding pets, I'd just charge extra for them tbh.

          People can't necessarily "buy their own home" too. That doesn't excuse the above tenants however. Those tenants are being unreasonable.
          I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of those things - but they are the things that LLs may not allow in their property and if you want the freedom to live as you wish the only way to guarantee to be able to do that is to live in your own house not someone else's.

          I appreciate that not everyone can afford to buy their own home but then you have to abide by someone else's rules.

          You may not think it is fair or right but that is life.

          Comment


            #6
            Agree with the above, who said life is fair, if you own.... you decide.... if you don't ..... someone else does.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by an0nymous View Post

              What's wrong with them wanting to decorate?
              Generally they are incompetent amateurs doing a shoddy job using low quality products in garish colours that has to be rectified before it can be re let again.
              The damage they've caused can rarely be charged for and it pushes up rents for all tenants.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by an0nymous View Post

                People can't necessarily "buy their own home" too. That doesn't excuse the above tenants however. Those tenants are being unreasonable.
                My tenants were previously home owners and they are well paid.

                Because of their chosen careers, you would ordinarily expect these people to be very responsible. They are my tenants because they 'had no choice' but to sell their own home because they racked up too much debt. They specialise in teaching Maths and English to our children! With their kind of attitude and sense of responsibility, no wonder our society is becoming full of people who expect to be given everything.

                I have also discovered, in breach of their tenancy agreement, they have set up a business at my property (companies house).

                Anyway, time for the N5B!

                Comment


                  #9
                  You'll get them out eventually. I hope they realise that if they don't move to a place of their choice from what's available they'll have to move to just what's available at the last minute.

                  I've stopped increasing my portfolio. I'm sick of entitled tenants especially after the last one who demanded a new kitchen and bathroom despite being in arrears, and there's nothing wrong with the kitchen. I did offer to have the bath repainted but that wasn't acceptable so they got nothing.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thanks Berlingogirl. I do think its going to take sometime because of the knock-on effects of the pandemic. Hopefully with the impending N5B, they will change their attitude and take the matter seriously.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Claymore All I can say is that I’m keeping my fingers crossed that, as we head into the summer and things hopefully stabilise, the courts and bailiffs are allowed to get back to something like business as usual and you regain possession in the not too distant future. I issued S21 in Oct ‘19.... still waiting...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Claymore View Post

                        My tenants were previously home owners and they are well paid.

                        Because of their chosen careers, you would ordinarily expect these people to be very responsible. They are my tenants because they 'had no choice' but to sell their own home because they racked up too much debt. They specialise in teaching Maths and English to our children! With their kind of attitude and sense of responsibility, no wonder our society is becoming full of people who expect to be given everything.

                        I have also discovered, in breach of their tenancy agreement, they have set up a business at my property (companies house).

                        Anyway, time for the N5B!
                        That's one couple. Plenty of people can't afford it, because of the super inflated prices atm. It's quite different if it was "normal"

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by boletus View Post

                          Generally they are incompetent amateurs doing a shoddy job using low quality products in garish colours that has to be rectified before it can be re let again.
                          The damage they've caused can rarely be charged for and it pushes up rents for all tenants.
                          Fair, fair. What if then, you're cool with them redecorating should they get a professional in, and you get to have the final say so on design?

                          It does seem like you're putting off 20% of renters though

                          One in Five Tenants Would Pay More Rent if Allowed to Decorate (insightdiy.co.uk)

                          How many want to redecorate, because the landlord is using magnolia paint?
                          Should Landlords Let Tenants Decorate a Rental Property? - Landlord Insider (landlordvision.co.uk)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by an0nymous View Post

                            Fair, fair. What if then, you're cool with them redecorating should they get a professional in, and you get to have the final say so on design?

                            It does seem like you're putting off 20% of renters though

                            One in Five Tenants Would Pay More Rent if Allowed to Decorate (insightdiy.co.uk)

                            How many want to redecorate, because the landlord is using magnolia paint?
                            Should Landlords Let Tenants Decorate a Rental Property? - Landlord Insider (landlordvision.co.uk)
                            The article says tenants would pay an average of an extra £72 per month if they were allowed to decorate. That's a lot of money. My tenants wouldn't be able to afford that.

                            Are landlords still using magnolia? I'm not. Grey is the new magnolia.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post

                              Are landlords still using magnolia? I'm not. Grey is the new magnolia.
                              I did use Magnolia ..... but now White is the new Magnolia

                              I do let them decorate, but only the feature wall, not the whole place, i once let this happen and it cost a fortune when Mr Magoo (the nominated decorator) could not tell the difference between a paste table and his back side. It was a disaster.
                              Last edited by Hudson01; 14-04-2021, 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X