Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreamingofsea View Post
    Is it a flat or a house? If it s a flat what floor do you live on? After your sink waste where does the waste pipe run? Does the waste pipe then have the shower discharge into it or a washing machine or bathroom basin. Every thing including toilet/basn/WC should have that stuff put down it.. also very good cheap home remedies available white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda, if there is still a problem after you ve cleared all the waste pipes there that’s the time to investigate the soil and vent pipe which is going to be shared with other people.
    Flat on the second floor. I can't answer the rest, sorry!!

Comment

Originally posted by GaryGoals View Post

7 Years, and I assume the sink has been perfectly fine up until now?

No it hasn't. I've called out a plumber a few times in the past and have maintained it myself with vinegar/bicarb and unblockers.

I see this time that there's something different that can't be solved by what I've tried previously.

Comment

Originally posted by sushi View Post

A plumber came out and used this: https://www.fulcare.co.uk/product/on...-cleaner-1ltr/

It didn't do the job. He said someone needs to look through the pipes with a camera!
        This might help?
        Drain Plunger with 5pcs CO2 Cylinders,Toilet Unblocker for Bathroom Kitchen Sink Blockage: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Like this:
        Invention a Day - Episode #246: The CO2 Plunger - YouTube

Official product is at:
        Amazon.com: MR.PUNG Kitchen Washbasin Sink Plungers & Co2 Cylinders 1Box (10 pcs) & Simple English User Guide: Home & Kitchen

It's cheaper on Amazon US even with import fees.

Comment

Flat on the second floor. I can't answer the rest, sorry!!
          Have you asked any of the other flats if they are also having problems?

Hard to tell without knowing the pipe runs but as you are on the second floor then if it's the communal drains the flats below should also be affected.

Comment

My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent claim its the building management's issue. I contacted the management and they said they're waiting on a builders report!!!

In the past the landlord/agent has been absolutely amazing about fixing and replacing things, even sometimes same day. No idea why this is taking so long.

Any ideas on how I can speed this up politely?
            From your first post. It is a problem that the owners of the block of flats are trying to sort.

There is nothing that you or your landlord/agent can do about it.

Comment

If it's only the one sink, and not the bath, toilet etc, then it's more than likely to be that sink rather than the drain.

When you use a plunger you need to block that little overflow thing that the plug chain goes into. I get a wet tea towel and fold it up many times and squash it against the overflow with my left hand and plunger the sink hole with the plunger in my right hand (I'm right handed). It takes a good few times to dislodge the blockage. I've got another plunger that has a reservoir for water and you force the water through the sink hole to dislodge the blockage. You have to make sure your plunger covers the sink hole without any gaps round the sides. If you're using a large plunger it might not form a secure seal around the sink hole so try using a smaller plunger. Yes, I have a selection of plungers.

When you do the washing up do you remove all solid fat before washing up? Any lard you've used for cooking, pork chop fat, bacon fat, etc should be removed and put in the bin, otherwise it goes solid again in the pipes when it gets cold and then blocks the pipes.

Under your sink is a trap (a fat pipe that's a U shape). If you're a bit handy you can remove this and give it a good clean (warning: the deposit in the trap is usually gag inducing).

After the trap the drain pipe should travel in a downwards direction to the main sewer in the ground. This sounds obvious but I found a drain pipe that went down to the floor and then up a bit to join another pipe and then down again so it was slow draining and blocked from time to time. Your drain pipe will probably go behind the back of the sink unit. If there's a gap in the backing board see if you can get a photo on your phone and check the pipe actually points downwards.

I don't know how drains work in flats, whether your flat's drains join with another flat's drains before discharging into the main sewer, or not, but I'd check with your neighbours to see if they're affected.

Comment

My kithcen sink was blocked and I used a plunger once - and the whole pipe came off leaving water everywhere , couldnt get to the pipe as it was hidden behind some wood which we had to take off , took the plumber ages to sort it out and put in a new pipe. its now ok but started to drip under the sink if I empty a whole bowl , so some masking tape on the pipe will be ok for me for now -

Be careful.....

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input, however, this isn't something I want to try to fix myself and I suspect it's more serious than just plunging and using a chemical unblocker.

This was confirmed by the plumber my landlord sent last week.

Still waiting for it to be fixed.

Comment

Usually heat is the best unblocker as it melts the fat. I get it dry then add boiling water from the kettle. But it wont melt candle wax.
                    most plumbers would dismantle a sink waste pipe if theycouldnot unblock it.

Comment

not too long ago i had a bath that would not empty , tried the usual sink unblockers to no avail. had to take all the drainage apart and clean it out ... it was old grouting that had blocked it and only physically cleaning it did the job . the op is quite right to inform the landlord and lets hope they sort it soon

Comment

Originally posted by philg View Post
                        not too long ago i had a bath that would not empty , tried the usual sink unblockers to no avail. had to take all the drainage apart and clean it out ... it was old grouting that had blocked it and only physically cleaning it did the job . the op is quite right to inform the landlord and lets hope they sort it soon
                        Thank you for understanding. Its definitely something more than pouring some unblocker down it. What's frustrating is that my landlord/agent is taking almost a month to fix it. Really not sure what I can do to hurry them up!!

Comment

Thank you for understanding. Its definitely something more than pouring some unblocker down it. What's frustrating is that my landlord/agent is taking almost a month to fix it. Really not sure what I can do to hurry them up!!
                          Send a letter or email asking them at what stage they are at in dealing with the issue, and for a timeline of the remedial action they intend to take.

As a landlord I am aware communication with the tenant including information about hold ups, waiting for parts, plumber delayed etc is essential. Your landlord should have updated you.

Comment

Obviously needs taking apart. I suspect your landlord has no intention of doing that, as he considers the problem to be your fault. I suggest you take photos of all the pipework so you have a guide for reassembly, then don the rubber gloves and get busy.

Comment

Could you agree with your LL to get a plumber out on the basis that if you blocked it you pay but if it's a structural problem he will?

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                                Could you agree with your LL to get a plumber out on the basis that if you blocked it you pay but if it's a structural problem he will?
                                That's a good idea.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X