Question about rented house extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about rented house extension

Hi all, I have a rented house - three bed end terrace, which has been rented to the same lady and her children for over a decade, with no major problems on either end.

There is a plot of land next to the house that I am currently in the process of purchasing off the council. I would like to extend the house and add an extra living space i.e. a single store living room with cooking facilities and toilet/shower room. I would then wish to rent this separately. I am happy with the tenants in the house and would not want to move them out and then rent a four bed house. However, I would like to extend and rent the room out separately as this will be a pension income for me in the future.

Can anyone advise is this is possible? I want to be a good landlord for all involved and act in a proper way. Any thoughts welcome......

Thanks!

When you say ' extend ' i take it you mean knocking through the gable end of the property and then adding extra sq footage ?? Not a separate dwelling, kind of stuck on the current exterior wall of the current house ....... if the former then i cannot see how the current tenants can stay, the building work would be horrendous. The extension you mention appears to have no bedroom ? You say living space with a shower and toilet/cooking facilities...... A few more details on the build may assist.
    Last edited by Hudson01; 13-04-2021, 18:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am at the early stages of my thinking on this, and have no experience of building before. TBH I hadn’t considered the disruption element a great deal yet, but that is a fair point.

It would be an extension to the current house. Either a single storey room - a studio - and separate bathroom or a living area and bathroom downstairs with a bedroom upstairs. All finished to a good spec.

The extension would have a separate back entrance and be rented independently of the main house.

I perhaps am dreaming with this, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or ideas, or had done anything similar.

thanks.

Comment

If it is to be rented as a separate dwelling then knocking into the existing house could be problematic, if you do take down the gable wall (or some of it) then it becomes part of the original house, how can that be a separate dwelling ? The gable end is obviously load bearing so a large RSJ (Steel beam) would be needed, this would involve building control and planning......... it does sound a little bit of an odd build to be honest.

Comment

Apart from the structural issues that Hudson01 raises, the tenancy issue that I can see is about access. If you have a tenancy already in operation for the whole house, then you can't grant the occupant of the extension access through that property. It would need its own separate access.

Comment

He's clearly stated that it would have a seperate entrance to the main house, and why would it need knocking into the main dwelling if it's an extension, you can just tie it in to the existing structure.
            Apart from that though, have you enough land to make it a stand alone structure, you don't need much of a gap these days if new builds are anything to go by, this would much easier to do with less disturbance, and be more of a financial gain when time comes to sell or indeed rent.
            What sort of plot size are you thinking of buying?

Comment

Originally posted by weirdfish View Post
              He's clearly stated that it would have a seperate entrance to the main house
              You're right, I hadn't spotted that. I assume that by back entrance it means that there would still be independent access not impinging on the existing house or garden.

Comment

You would imagine so otherwise it won't really work as 2 seperate dwellings, you've also got to consider seperate utility supplies as well as council tax etc.

Comment

If its a separate entrance, then it would need separate services and becomes a new dwelling - rather than an extension - and planning would need to be gained on that basis surely

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                    If its a separate entrance, then it would need separate services and becomes a new dwelling - rather than an extension - and planning would need to be gained on that basis surely
                    Agree, i am a little confused whether this is to be an extension to the current house or a new dwelling on the land next to the current house...... i cannot see how you can have a separate entrance and dwelling if it is linked via an extension to the current house.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

Agree, i am a little confused whether this is to be an extension to the current house or a new dwelling on the land next to the current house...... i cannot see how you can have a separate entrance and dwelling if it is linked via an extension to the current house.
                      hit, nail and head.

I think the OP needs to have a clear mind about what they want to do and apply for planning ...........

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X