X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Bill Dispute - how to resolve?

Tenancy Began: February 2020
    Tenancy ended: March 2021

Currently in a dispute over a water bill - the letting agent are paying water for the whole building so it is agreed that tenants pay a requested amount to them throughout contract.

A water bill was given to us in July 2020 with what was owed Feb-July 2020 - our deposit is now being withheld over claims that we owe money for water in March 2020

Will it be best to dispute having to pay this, considering it wasn't included in the July bill for that time period through court or through the tenancy deposit scheme?

If the charge is legitimate (which means it was for a utility you used and the amount is not more than was actually due), then I think the landlord can ask you to pay it now even if they forgot to charge it to you previously.

Comment

They have 6 years from the debt being incurred to pursue you.

Comment

With respect, if you used the water then you should pay for it. Most people budget for utilities so I am guessing that you realised a long time ago that you hadn't been billed and now you're trying to take advantage of an apparent oversight. Be honest and pay up.

Comment

Just a follow up on this - we have figured out why this bill has appeared, however we are waiting for the letting agent to respond and clear it:
          - There was an issue around our move in that led to the letting agent crediting us X amount of money as an apology.
          - Once this amount was used for rent our account was in credit, in order to pay up the July bill covering the previous months utilities they asked us to pay bill total - the credit total
          - Their system seems to now be showing us as owing that leftover amount that we were told would be paid with the credit

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Phased reduction in notice period
            by Jon66
            I suspect with the ease at which tests can be taken, with almost immediate results, positive covid tests would be a requirement to defeat a warrant....
            13-05-2021, 00:11 AM
          • Phased reduction in notice period
            by KTC
            Down from 6 to 4 months "until at least October", and if everything goes to plan re. COVID-19, 2 months from then.

Bailiffs enforcement ban to end.

4 weeks section 8 ground 8 down from 6 months arrears to 4 months. New grounds included on "reduced" notice...
            12-05-2021, 15:48 PM
          • Reply to CCJ and New Tenancy
            by Jon66
            It's a no from me šŸ¤£
            12-05-2021, 23:51 PM
          • CCJ and New Tenancy
            by landlord-man
            I have a prospective tenant who has children with his ex partners and is currently living with a new partner and their child.

He has a fairly good income but its not guaranteed due to the nature of his employment.

I have just discovered he has a CCJ for a Ā£535 debt - which...
            12-05-2021, 16:44 PM
          • Reply to Should I let to this person?
            by Jon66
            It's a no from me.
            12-05-2021, 23:45 PM
          • Should I let to this person?
            by JK0
            A two bedroom unfurnished flat of mine fell vacant a couple of weeks ago, and I put it back with the same agent. I have received an email from them as follows:

This normally would be a no, but tenants are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. What would you guys do?...
            12-05-2021, 15:28 PM
          • Reply to New landlord needs some advice
            by Jon66
            If you are inexperienced I would advise finding a good reputable high street agent, not Fxxxxxx, and place it with them on a tena t find only basis. I know some on here don't think it's such a great idea for numerous reasons, but I'm an experienced professional and know my agents well, and it means...
            12-05-2021, 23:43 PM
          • New landlord needs some advice
            by wenqi
            Hi, I am just a new landlord who is renting our first property using openrent. I do need some advice from you.

We had a very lovely lady to view our house. She looked love our property and wanted to take it straight away. Because she came alone (her partner was working), my husband advised...
            12-05-2021, 19:56 PM
          • Reply to Carpet burn
            by Jon66
            I was too lazy to get the ironing board out and ironed a shirt on the carpet. That was expensive . . . it was my carpet. I was very young at the time but old enough to know better šŸ¤£.

Agree with a ove, her problem not yours. Leave it and deduct out of the deposit at the end. Tough if...
            12-05-2021, 23:38 PM
          • Carpet burn
            by jase222
            Over the last three months I have been engaged in a spat with my tenants, they have been working from home and the women put her company laptop on the carpet charging, well the charger over heated and put a large burn on the carpet along with destroying the laptop.
            She has said she will not pay...
            27-03-2021, 09:37 AM
          Working...
          X