Advice on noise (and harassment?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on noise (and harassment?)

Hello and apologies, tried to cut this down.

In short- problems with noisy neighbours after being accidently outed by letting agent, neighbours being harass-y and would appreciate perspectives, thoughts and have some questions at the end.

Context -

Have spoken to them, they're aware how loud they've been. Didn't want to approach again as they're a bit iffy. First thing they said on meeting me was an insult. Just ignored it and they seemed friendly enough after so dismissed it as stupid comment when nervous etc.

Spoke to the council for advice about noise who said they couldn't do much, fill in the noise diary.

Emailed letting agent as I'd like to know who manages the whole building because of this issue, specified being kept up until 2am 3am 4am for months. Thought about asking them to send out a general consideration flyer to all residents as maybe they just didn't realise quite how loud it was (I could hear them through 35db earplugs).

Agent didn't reply, just called or messaged the neighbour and next thing the neighbour is swearing and ringing my bell while I'm trying to work from home. Put a letter under the door accusing various things and saying they had a mental health condition, did I know they're a domestic violence victim and my partner (who I don't think has seen them as he only comes once a week) really triggers them yet there's three other men live here full time. It's flats, shared hallways.

Don't know what the agent said to neighbour, I kept my emails to him factual like how long problem has been going on and how late etc. It's nothing personal, don't have an issue with this person but they think so.

They've said they will try to keep it quiet after midnight so I have found out it's them making the noise but obviously this is not an ideal situation. They are still making noise but I can hear it's reduce but the level of hostility today and making accusations now is worrying.

Questions -

What would be the best way forward? I'm knackered, I'm struggling to function at work, it's affect my mood and my enjoyment of life but I'm still in contract/money tied up in LISA but not ready to buy!

Do I continue to pursue noise claim with council? I don't fancy another day like today but I need a sleep pattern for my own mental health conditions.

Was the agent allowed to do this? Did he technically give out personal information?

Can I negociate to leave if I don't feel safe as a result of letting agents actions? I'm really happy with the actual letting, all the repairs are done fast I just think the exact think agent went full bull in a China shop here.

Does mental health issues excuse anyone from noise restrictions in the middle of the night? Is it any mental health condition or specific ones?

Has this started to move from noise to harassment? I'm struggling to see the cross over but I probably shouldn't feel unwelcome in my own building because I told someone I was being kept awake until 3am every single night without fail.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

You need to contact your Environment dept at your local council. They will ask you to keep a diary, so you could start one now if you've not done so already. You should note the date, time, type of noise and loudness as well as how it's affecting you, eg shouting - can be heard over the TV, makes me feel nervous and afraid, scared to leave my flat and go into the communal areas, causing me to feel depressed, lose sleep, unable to work to the best of my ability, - that sort of thing. make a separate file on your pc that you keep as a diary and can copy your problems into emails. Keep a block of post-it notes by your bed so you can note noises at night then take just the postit note to your pc (if you have a notebook you'll only leave it by the pc and not take it back to your bed where you need it).They'll probably ask you to keep it for three months before doing anything else. Then they'll install a sound monitor. You leave this running all the time and when you hear a noise you press a button. This button is on a long cable so you can have the monitor in the noisy place and operate the button from your bed or chair. The monitor records all the time and when you press the button it only records (saves) that bit and a few second before and wipes the rest off.

Do you know any of the other neighbours? Have they got a problem too and complained?

Having a mental health issue is not an excuse to be a nuisance to others. Their noise is causing you mental health issues.

Every time you have a complaint, email the agent, your local council and the environment agency, and anyone you think might do something.

Comment

Its not really the landlord or letting agent's issue, assuming that they're not the neighbours landlord. Its something that the resident has to deal with through the local authority. Did you start to keep that noise diary? Also use it to record threats, menaces, discriminatory behaviour etc. The Council won't act until you can show them some evidence they can use against the neighbours.

I'm sorry to say, that its unlikely that anyone else is going to solve this for you or let you escape the tenancy so I would suggest you do what you can and if it gets to much, give notice as soon as you can.

Comment

Agree with the above, i have dealt with this type of issue a lot in my job and i can say for certain that it can take an age to get anywhere, and very often the problem is never sorted, if i rented and had an idiot neighbor...... i would move at the first possible opportunity. Due to you being a tenant you are in a very good position, i deal with a lot of people who own the property and are in a nightmare situation. Good luck.

Comment

I too will agree with what others have said to try in moving out perhaps by negotiating friendly with the letting agent/landlord who most likely will accept it. I had suffered almost the similar predicament where the upper floor lady tenant was excessively noisy by started playing music from as early as 5 Am and use washing machines as late as 3 Am and always walk weirdly. I requested her gently so many times which she did listen very pleasantly but then started implanting more hellish activities such as changed her flat slippers with long heels and playing more hip hop swearing songs. That nuisance was reported to council and letting agency who apart of scantly sympathising kept doing nothing, so therefore that property had to vacate. In my view, unless someone has mobility issue the flat ideally should be bought/rented at the most highest floor to avert this frequently occurring nuisance. Also, ironically, the above mentioned lady was later known as a disabled council tenant.

Comment

I would add that as a landlord, if you get a linked property to yours that has such a half-wit it can seriously cost you money, the tenant turn over can be immense, they really are a nightmare for all who deal with them, the laws surrounding noise nuisance are no-where near good enough.

Comment

Thanks all for your replies.

can anyone tell me about eicr? My tenancy started Jan 2021. I don't think I got this certificate. Should it have been given to me? I saved all the electronic paperwork but it isn't in there. What do they look like?

If they didn't serve this, do I have more rights?

Comment

If the noise maker is renting, why not try to contact the landlord directly?

When I've had this issue, contacting the council or managing agents achieves nothing. Informing the landlord has good results though!

Comment

The only leverage I can see with not having an EICR is if you threaten the landlord that you will report him to the Council for failing to get the report if he doesn't release you from the tenancy. In reality, I doubt the Council would do anything about it in the short term as they have enough on their plates and probably thousands of other landlords in default. It would probably also ruin your relationship with the landlord.

Comment

its best to just move and never rent a flat again. see what you can do to get out of there!

Comment

Originally posted by renter19 View Post
                      Thanks all for your replies.

can anyone tell me about eicr? My tenancy started Jan 2021. I don't think I got this certificate. Should it have been given to me? I saved all the electronic paperwork but it isn't in there. What do they look like?

If they didn't serve this, do I have more rights?
                      Ask your letting agent for a copy. They are duty bound to give you a copy.

FYI Its between 6 and 9 pages of A4

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X