Tenant vacated, owe rent? Regain access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpkeates
    replied
    1 - Strictly speaking yes, but I'd follow the advice of DPT57 in post #2
    2 - If the tenancy was periodic, yes as far as paying the council and the utility companies are concerned. You may have a contractual right to recover the costs from your tenant if the tenancy agreement says so.
    3 - Yes (not sure what you mean by how).

The tenant owes rent until the end of the tenancy, whenever that happens.

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    Also if you can check with utility company as well to see if they hVe closed their account

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    What was the expiration date if tenant's notice please?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    It sounds like the property has been abandoned. If I were you I would visit and gather evidence - take lots of pictures, keep records, take meter readings and then see if they've changed a week later, ask neighbours what they know. The letter from the Council Tax dept is also good evidence. If it all stacked up, I would change the locks to ensure the property is secure and put a note on the door for the tenant to contact you to get access. If there is no reply from multiple attempts to contact the tenant, I would send them a final note to say I believe it to be abandoned and am taking possession.

Leave a comment:

• SpringGreen
    started a topic Tenant vacated, owe rent? Regain access?

Tenant vacated, owe rent? Regain access?

I am interested to find out whether tenant owe rent from the last rent payment to the day they give notice? In Decemeber I have noticed that October was their last rent payment. I sent them a letter to my Tenants asking for an update but no response *have been sending letters ever since. Last month I have received a letter from the Council seeking council tax payment from me dating back to November.
    This week I have found out the property is empty. Any thoughts?
    1. Do I have to seek a possession order to gain access to my property?
    2. Am I liable to all the utility bills and council tax
    3. Can I ask Tenant for rental arrears? and for repairs / damages and how?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X