Floor damage in rented house - who pays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with the above, laminate flooring by its nature has '' gaps '' certainly enough for water to get in.

Comment

It's absolutely mind boggling that this is even a question

The floor is constructed of wood.. Water and wood generally do not mix

You (the tenant) have caused the floor to lift by mopping it..

Pay for the repair and stop looking for a way to weasel out of it

Comment

The problem is that it's not really wood, it's laminate.
        Wooden floors are often washed with water, laminate flooring, not really.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

so how wet was the mop? I would use a damp mop on laminate but never a wet one unless told otherwise (I don't have laminate downstairs can you tell?). I do have (in a high traffic hallway) ceramic tiles that look like wood - you can wet them to your heart's content.
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by A.Renter View Post
            Thank you for these replies, though it is clear there is no obvious answer.
            I think its pretty clear we all think you are responsible! The LL should make a deduction from the cost for the age of the laminate but you might get a hefty bill for this.

Comment

This is pretty indefensible, I wouldn't mop laminate any sooner than I'd mop carpet. Unfortunately due to the nature of laminate, even replacing a few slats can be a big job as potentially a large area has to come up (which is suspect you know, hence looking for a way out)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post

.t
                God forbid anyone ever considers making boats ot of wood. ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by A.Renter View Post
                  I gave it an extra thorough clean as there was dog mess on the floor.
                  This does not help your case!

And as to the cost - it is the labour for fitting that will ramp up the cost not the actual laminate (and possibly a large sheet of underlay that may also be ruined).

Comment

And water can travel quite a way under laminate flooring if it's laid on a solid floor.

Comment

If you stay there long enough, then you may not have to pay anything (if you are happy to live with it).

Comment

Originally posted by Lesney Park View Post
                        This is pretty indefensible, I wouldn't mop laminate any sooner than I'd mop carpet. Unfortunately due to the nature of laminate, even replacing a few slats can be a big job as potentially a large area has to come up (which is suspect you know, hence looking for a way out)
                        I mop carpet. Our carpet is designed to be mopped / washed / scrubbed even using a Bleach solution

I agree with you though, I wouldn't have mopped it. Especially knowing that there were gaps in it to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
                          It's absolutely mind boggling that this is even a question

You (the tenant) have caused the floor to lift by mopping it..

Pay for the repair and stop looking for a way to weasel out of it
                          Boats and Barrels seem to work quite well with Water as well as chopping boards?

Comment

Wood is one thing - laminate is quite another. Laminate & water absolutely don't mix.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can anyone share a template Contract please?
                              by Vene
                              DPT57 Thanks for the advice in relation to the question i posed. I have joined one of the subscription based landlords associations for advice and support.

It's pretty evident why this landlordzone forum's is free to join, because from what i've experienced, there's clearly a lot of people...
                              13-04-2021, 19:04 PM
                            • Can anyone share a template Contract please?
                              by Vene
                              Hi,

I'm renting a residential property (for the first time) and i would like a Word document of a tenancy agreement/contract, that i could edit with specific details. Some information to help understand the tenancy:

Property is in England.
                              Tenancy is for a sole tenant...
                              11-04-2021, 21:43 PM
                            • Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                              by GaryGoals
                              My god, the Landlord isn’t your dad. You’ve blocked the sink.....unblock it....
                              13-04-2021, 18:53 PM
                            • Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                              by sushi
                              My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent has been dragging his feet getting a plumber out and when someone did come, they confirmed my suspicions that it's something more just needing to pour some unblocker down (this is why I haven't called someone out myself...
                              13-04-2021, 18:06 PM
                            • Reply to Question about rented house extension
                              by ss1981
                              Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am at the early stages of my thinking on this, and have no experience of building before. TBH I hadn’t considered the disruption element a great deal yet, but that is a fair point.

It would be an extension to the current house. Either...
                              13-04-2021, 18:48 PM
                            • Question about rented house extension
                              by ss1981
                              Hi all, I have a rented house - three bed end terrace, which has been rented to the same lady and her children for over a decade, with no major problems on either end.

There is a plot of land next to the house that I am currently in the process of purchasing off the council. I would like...
                              13-04-2021, 17:30 PM
                              by JK0
                              Are you certain it's not you that's blocked it? Why would you not get someone out and pay them yourself? If it turns out to be someone else's fault, then you can forward the bill....
                              13-04-2021, 18:42 PM
                              by ash5050
                              "In the past I've been really impressed about how quickly issues have been sorted, but this appears to be taking longer. If I can do anything to help this get resolved quicker please let me know, but I'd appreciate if this could be sorted ASAP as it's affecting me quite a lot. I wouldn't want...
                              13-04-2021, 18:30 PM
                            • Reply to Tenant referencing affordability
                              by Hudson01
                              Have you asked more about the CCJ ? Was it for rent ....... is it just one ....... i tend to not trust guarantors, i do not take them and only let to those who can stand on their own two feet in terms of affordability..... it is a choice though.
                              13-04-2021, 18:23 PM
                            • Tenant referencing affordability
                              by Kate foster
                              Hi all,
                              I have found a tenant through open rent and he failed referencing due to CCJ. He got a garauntor who earns 46,271 pounds per annum and the rent is 1095. The rent guard referencing did through open rent has declined the garauntor as unsuitable due to less income. They want 4 times the monthly...
                              13-04-2021, 17:02 PM
                            Working...
                            X