Voided AST ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im a Landlord, and I happily rescind the AST if I had failed to supply a gas cert, EPC, How to rent guide, receipts etc before a tenancy started and after the term start date if the tenant asked due to my mistakes. And return the £4000 (deposit, Months rent and fees) and count myself lucky.
    In this scenario, unfortunately its my student Son and mates.

Comment

Originally posted by kip22 View Post
      This is the dilemma, as the tenants never actually physically moved in, as the Gas cert was one of many documents not offered at the start of the tenancy and the tenants lost confidence in the landlord, the property and future financial problems among other repercussions.
      But the Landlord ignores these facts and is arguing the AST is still valid and trying to claim rent arrears for thousands for that reason.
      The issue is whether anyone took possession of the property - because that determines whether or not there's a tenancy.
      The contract is a separate thing.

The documents other than the EPC have to be given to the tenants when the tenancy starts (the EPC can be provided as part of an advert or display in the property).
      If the tenancy didn't actually start, the requirement to give the documents also didn't arise.

If there was a signed tenancy agreement and the tenancy didn't actually start (i.e. no one moved in), the breach is likely to be contractual.
      The landlord is entitled to either compel performance (very unlikely) or to compensation for reasonably foreseeable losses arising from the breach
      Whether the lost rent is part of that is up for debate, there's a plague, student circumstances are unique - the landlord might argue that it is pretty obvious that they wouldn't be able to find a replacement set if students.
      But the loss has to be actual, they can't claim for rent that hasn't failed to be paid yet, only to date.

If the tenancy had actually begun, the failure to provide the documents doesn't prevent the tenancy from starting and the rent for the fixed term is due to the landlord as it falls due.
      A failure to provide the prescribed documentation happens fairly regularly (some landlords aren't very good at the job) and expecting that failure to void a tenancy (or even a contract) is unrealistic.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to DPS dispute resolution service
        by Chester Perry
        £900 deposit and the Letting Agent requested the whole deposit as the cleaning and redecorating to fix non wear & tear damage was estimated at approx £4000 and also they stole / took 2 x fridge freezers. Independent inventory on moving in and moving out backed all this yet the TDS awarded £700!...
        18-04-2021, 21:14 PM
      • DPS dispute resolution service
        by Thomasdiets123
        What's everyone's experiences with the DPS dispute service. Did you get what you claimed? Did you have good evidence to back it up?
        Thank you....
        12-04-2021, 16:37 PM
      • Reply to Rent arrears
        by Bixwier
        Have any evictions ever gone ahead since cv19?

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
        18-04-2021, 18:09 PM
      • Rent arrears
        by MP31
        Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
        To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
        21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
      • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
        by Bixwier

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
        18-04-2021, 18:03 PM
      • Notice Period to Tenants
        by annam222
        Hi all,
        I rent out my flat using an estate agents let & collect service. It is rented out using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement of 12 months (no break clause). The 12 months ends in August this year. I have just been told by the estate agents that "due to Covid the law has changed...
        01-03-2021, 14:54 PM
      • Reply to County court bailiffs
        by Bixwier
        18-04-2021, 18:01 PM
      • County court bailiffs
        by Perce
        Hello All

What county court bailiffs do if they come to evict and the tenants say they are not feeling well?...
        24-02-2021, 13:42 PM
      • Reply to New AST under probate
        by PGTV
        I suppose someone has to pay for all this furlough money, so why not tax the dead more.

no wonder everyone is on a scam or fiddle. You can be like my parents - honest all their lives, but are getting hammered in death taxes. And both were failed by the NHS too
        18-04-2021, 17:27 PM
      • New AST under probate
        by PGTV
        Hi. Quick question

property portfolio is under probate.

the land-lady (Mum) used the family office address as the landlord address on the tenancy agreement, rather than her home address. Always did this for 20 odd years.

Under probate, I have to sign a new tenancy...
        16-04-2021, 14:51 PM
      Working...
      X