X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas and electricity certificate

Good afternoon,

Just a quick question.

I have been renting a flat for over a year and a half now. I never seen a gas or electricity certificate. Whenever I ask the landlord he says it is fine or he ignores it.

Recently a burner from the stove stopped working and I am bit worried now about the safety of this place.

Any advice? I am already looking for a new place but any tips are welcome.

Thanks.

You can report the lack of a gas safety certificate here https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/lgsr1

The landlord doesn't need an electrical safety certificate until 1st April for your property unless your tenancy began after 1 July 2020.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks. I am bit worried about the stove situation, and the fact he never bothered with having the gas checked it in the year and half. Should I keep some of the rent until he comes with one?

I renewed the contract in juni 2020. Not sure if he would still not need one in that situation?

​​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Put in writing, ( email or text message ), that you would like your copy of the GSC for your records, that way you have a paper trail as such.
        He should know that he needs one, if not he's an idiot, or hiding something.
        Have you informed him of the burner problem, again, do this in writing.
        Don't start withholding rent money, this only leads to bad feeling etc and you never know if you'll be needing a reference from him should you move.
        I take it you deal with him direct and not through an agency.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          The landlord doesn't need an electrical safety certificate until 1st April for your property unless your tenancy began after 1 July 2020.
          not sure I agree with that.

your landlord needs a Satisfactory EICR by the 31st March 2021 and if it’s not been inspected before who knows what issues may be found that need resolving

especially if the inspector is referring to the Napit code breakers book which is not ideal

Comment

Don't need to pass by 1 April 2021, just need to have the "first inspection and testing" by that date. If work is required, landlord are given time to do so.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Evacuation of Tenant
              by berrahri
              There was a landslide and my Tenant had to be evacuated. They cannot return because access to the property is not safe.
              They had been reasonably okay Tenants, but as soon as this event occured they have treated me like the enemy! Everything I have advised appears to have been treated with suspicion...
              19-04-2021, 00:23 AM
            • Reply to DPS dispute resolution service
              by Chester Perry
              £900 deposit and the Letting Agent requested the whole deposit as the cleaning and redecorating to fix non wear & tear damage was estimated at approx £4000 and also they stole / took 2 x fridge freezers. Independent inventory on moving in and moving out backed all this yet the TDS awarded £700!...
              18-04-2021, 21:14 PM
            • DPS dispute resolution service
              by Thomasdiets123
              What's everyone's experiences with the DPS dispute service. Did you get what you claimed? Did you have good evidence to back it up?
              Thank you....
              12-04-2021, 16:37 PM
            • Reply to Rent arrears
              by Bixwier
              Have any evictions ever gone ahead since cv19?

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
              18-04-2021, 18:09 PM
            • Rent arrears
              by MP31
              Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
              To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
              21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
            • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
              by Bixwier

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
              18-04-2021, 18:03 PM
            • Notice Period to Tenants
              by annam222
              Hi all,
              I rent out my flat using an estate agents let & collect service. It is rented out using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement of 12 months (no break clause). The 12 months ends in August this year. I have just been told by the estate agents that "due to Covid the law has changed...
              01-03-2021, 14:54 PM
            • Reply to County court bailiffs
              by Bixwier
              18-04-2021, 18:01 PM
            • County court bailiffs
              by Perce
              Hello All

What county court bailiffs do if they come to evict and the tenants say they are not feeling well?...
              24-02-2021, 13:42 PM
            • Reply to New AST under probate
              by PGTV
              I suppose someone has to pay for all this furlough money, so why not tax the dead more.

no wonder everyone is on a scam or fiddle. You can be like my parents - honest all their lives, but are getting hammered in death taxes. And both were failed by the NHS too
              18-04-2021, 17:27 PM
            Working...
            X