X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas and electricity certificate

Good afternoon,

Just a quick question.

I have been renting a flat for over a year and a half now. I never seen a gas or electricity certificate. Whenever I ask the landlord he says it is fine or he ignores it.

Recently a burner from the stove stopped working and I am bit worried now about the safety of this place.

Any advice? I am already looking for a new place but any tips are welcome.

Thanks.

You can report the lack of a gas safety certificate here https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/lgsr1

The landlord doesn't need an electrical safety certificate until 1st April for your property unless your tenancy began after 1 July 2020.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks. I am bit worried about the stove situation, and the fact he never bothered with having the gas checked it in the year and half. Should I keep some of the rent until he comes with one?

I renewed the contract in juni 2020. Not sure if he would still not need one in that situation?

​​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Put in writing, ( email or text message ), that you would like your copy of the GSC for your records, that way you have a paper trail as such.
        He should know that he needs one, if not he's an idiot, or hiding something.
        Have you informed him of the burner problem, again, do this in writing.
        Don't start withholding rent money, this only leads to bad feeling etc and you never know if you'll be needing a reference from him should you move.
        I take it you deal with him direct and not through an agency.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          The landlord doesn't need an electrical safety certificate until 1st April for your property unless your tenancy began after 1 July 2020.
          not sure I agree with that.

your landlord needs a Satisfactory EICR by the 31st March 2021 and if it’s not been inspected before who knows what issues may be found that need resolving

especially if the inspector is referring to the Napit code breakers book which is not ideal

Comment

Don't need to pass by 1 April 2021, just need to have the "first inspection and testing" by that date. If work is required, landlord are given time to do so.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inventory done without giving me advance notice - discrepancies found
              by jpucng62
              I would write the discrepancies on the inventory and then sign it and return it. Keep a copy for when you move out.
              23-04-2021, 13:22 PM
            • Inventory done without giving me advance notice - discrepancies found
              by forest777
              Dear all,

I picked up keys to a property on Monday 19th April and given the inventory which was done on Friday 16th April. The inventory was done without telling me when it was going to happen - that is when I asked the LA about it, he merely told me that it was already done. The TA began...
              22-04-2021, 21:50 PM
            • Reply to Rent arrears
              by Berlingogirl
              Have you still got a contact number for them? Text them immediately asking for a forwarding address saying you need to write to them about the outstanding arrears. Do this before he changes his number. If he doesn't reply ask again saying you will write to him at his last known address (that'll probably...
              23-04-2021, 13:15 PM
            • Rent arrears
              by MP31
              Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
              To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
              21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
            • Reply to Rent arrears
              by Movieman
              can anyone recommend a no fee no find service to find tenants, my tenant owes me about £5k and I'm considering going after him or at least have the satisfaction of registering CCJ against him and his wife.

He is so dumb though that he will spend more money trying to avoid the debt than...
              23-04-2021, 12:55 PM
            • Reply to Can I take previous tenants furniture?
              by theartfullodger
              Politely decline and firmly require it to be removed. Keep evidence of those requests and photos of sofa in case of any police involvement
              23-04-2021, 12:50 PM
            • Can I take previous tenants furniture?
              by JohnMM96
              The landlord asked if we wanted the sofa removed since it wasn't advertised as being part of the flat since it belonged to the previous tenant. We said we would keep it. The tenant moved out a year ago so there is zero expectation of him reclaiming the sofa. He left it because he didn't want it. We...
              23-04-2021, 11:28 AM
            • Reply to Can I take previous tenants furniture?
              by JohnMM96
              We have an email that asks if we want to keep the sofa. I will try and find it now since the wording is important....
              23-04-2021, 12:03 PM
            • Reply to Eviction advice
              by ba_baracuss
              The delay because I don't know what's going on. The tenant has been all over the place for a while due to family issues etc, and so it's possible that she has had some kind of breakdown or something and may not even be at the address. I'd imagine she could get council help for the rent. If I go the...
              23-04-2021, 11:55 AM
            • Eviction advice
              by ba_baracuss
              Hi, I have a tenant who is now several months in arrears. She has changed her phone number and does not answer the door. I've sent an informal letter asking her to get in touch, which has been ignored. She's been pretty flaky for a while and it seems like she's decided to stick her head in the sand...
              12-04-2021, 15:16 PM
            Working...
            X