Damage on stainless steel surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage on stainless steel surface

My new lodger used something on the stainless steel splashback which caused it to be covered in orange spots about 1 cm across and 1 cm apart. Discovered this spotty mess on the splashback this morning. I needed to use cream cleaner to remove the discolouration, dull spots were then left. I then used Brasso and this has mostly restored the surface, there are just a few white spots a few mm across in places which aren't so noticeable.
    Lodgers are only expected to clean up after themselves, I otherwise do the cleaning. This lodger leaves a lot of product on surfaces when wiping down the hob etc. after cooking. There were also white smears over the hobs this morning. I think they may be using something they brought with them and not the products I provide. I have noticed a pack of disposable wipes in the bathroom, which seem to be going in the bin after use, I could have another issue otherwise. I don't think wipes would have caused the discolouration on the stainless steel however. What products are likely to have caused this?
    I think my lodger needs some guidance on cleaning.

Unless you spoke with the lodger with specifics on what they could or could not do in terms of cleaning then i do not see how they can be help responsible, they were simply cleaning up after themselves following cooking, have you actually asked the lodger what they used ? I cannot see how these things can be avoided when total strangers live with you.

Comment

Agree with Hudson. Maybe actually speak to your lodger rather than get guesses from the internet.

Comment

A quick Internet search suggests it could be a bit of rust or other corrosion that can easily be removed. It does rather feel like you're trying to find an issue, especially with the comments about the bathroom wipes, I can't see any reason why you'd even have mentioned that as you already accept they're not being flushed.
        Talk to your lodger and remember you have opened up your house to another person for money and some amount of compromise and working together is going to be required

Comment

I was just curious as to what may have caused this on the surface as I haven't noticed this before with anything I use, and the only cleaning items I could see this resident uses were the wipes I mentioned, which I wouldn't expect to be corrosive. I think this is perhaps the wrong forum for such a query.
          This resident keeps to themselves, they have been working nights since moving in so I have only briefly seen them once. They seem fine however.
          I am actually moving from this property next month, using a room in this property has just been a temporary arrangement. All residents have documents required to be given to tenants and the deposit is protected. I am not trying to find issues, I try to mitigate against any future issues. Besides one problematic resident there haven't been any major issues over the years I have been renting rooms. I like to ensure its a comfortable and relaxed environment. Although I reside in this property currently I try to keep the environment more like that of a place without a live-in landlord. The shared spaces are free of any of my person items, what is provided is for shared use, all shared spaces being available for use at all times. I have had various residents who have spoken of bad experiences in places with a live-in landlord, where they haven't felt comfortable. I have experienced controlling live-in landlords in the past so I am conscious of not being like that.
          Anyway, I wasn't expecting hostile and condescending replies to my post. This will be my last post on this site.

Comment

Orange spots on the splashback will be light rust - and yes stainless does rust (Trust me, I was an engineeing designer).

Rust is simply oxidisation of the iron in the steel, in this case probably a reaction with some chemical in the cleaner used.
            It could be any cleaner, even the ones you have provided.
            It wouldn't normally happen if the cleaner was spread about by wiping, but if spots were left without wiping then there will be more of the chemical in those spots.

Simply polish the rust out again, a plastic scourer should do the job, Duraglit, Brasso or similar will shine it up again if it's a shiny finish.
            PS. Vinegar or lemon juice (anything acidic) will get rid of light rust spots by chemical action without scouring, brown sauce and tomato ketchup contain vinegar and will cling to vertical surfaces. Leave for an hour or two then rinse/wipe off, repeat if necessary.

Comment

I don't think it's "hostile" or "condescending" to suggest you had a chat with the person. It would probably help with the relaxed environment you claim to nurture.

Comment

The best cleaning product for stainless steel is a wipe down with a small amount of olive oil, can't see why any product is needed really. I'm also a fan of vinegar for shower screens and toilets, and cheaper and more effective.

Comment

I suspect that stainless steel worktops are not really lodger-proof. I think you should probably expect a level of wear/damage beyond that which you would do yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
                    The best cleaning product for stainless steel is a wipe down with a small amount of olive oil,
                    How do you then remove the olive oil?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

How do you then remove the olive oil?
                      Wipe it over with a dry cloth. Keeps it in great condition.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Evacuation of Tenant
                        by berrahri
                        There was a landslide and my Tenant had to be evacuated. They cannot return because access to the property is not safe.
                        They had been reasonably okay Tenants, but as soon as this event occured they have treated me like the enemy! Everything I have advised appears to have been treated with suspicion...
                        19-04-2021, 00:23 AM
                      • Reply to DPS dispute resolution service
                        by Chester Perry
                        £900 deposit and the Letting Agent requested the whole deposit as the cleaning and redecorating to fix non wear & tear damage was estimated at approx £4000 and also they stole / took 2 x fridge freezers. Independent inventory on moving in and moving out backed all this yet the TDS awarded £700!...
                        18-04-2021, 21:14 PM
                      • DPS dispute resolution service
                        by Thomasdiets123
                        What's everyone's experiences with the DPS dispute service. Did you get what you claimed? Did you have good evidence to back it up?
                        Thank you....
                        12-04-2021, 16:37 PM
                      • Reply to Rent arrears
                        by Bixwier
                        Have any evictions ever gone ahead since cv19?

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
                        18-04-2021, 18:09 PM
                      • Rent arrears
                        by MP31
                        Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
                        To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
                        21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
                      • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
                        by Bixwier

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
                        18-04-2021, 18:03 PM
                      • Notice Period to Tenants
                        by annam222
                        Hi all,
                        I rent out my flat using an estate agents let & collect service. It is rented out using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement of 12 months (no break clause). The 12 months ends in August this year. I have just been told by the estate agents that "due to Covid the law has changed...
                        01-03-2021, 14:54 PM
                      • Reply to County court bailiffs
                        by Bixwier
                        18-04-2021, 18:01 PM
                      • County court bailiffs
                        by Perce
                        Hello All

What county court bailiffs do if they come to evict and the tenants say they are not feeling well?...
                        24-02-2021, 13:42 PM
                      • Reply to New AST under probate
                        by PGTV
                        I suppose someone has to pay for all this furlough money, so why not tax the dead more.

no wonder everyone is on a scam or fiddle. You can be like my parents - honest all their lives, but are getting hammered in death taxes. And both were failed by the NHS too
                        18-04-2021, 17:27 PM
                      Working...
                      X