3 ex-tenants owing £4800 jointly, but one applying for a DRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 ex-tenants owing £4800 jointly, but one applying for a DRO

I have a family (3 named tenants jointly and severally liable) now evicted but still owing £4800. If one of them lists the debt in a DRO application, can I still file an N1 with the CCMCC Salford against the other two? Presumably I cite the whole debt in the N1 against each party or can I say "jointly liable"?

Yes, the other parties are still jointly liable.

Comment

The person getting the DRO has to declare the full amount of the joint debt against the DRO limit. However, only the person with the DRO will be released from responsibility for the debt at the end of the DRO period. This means the other individuals can still be chased for the whole debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo R View Post
        Presumably I cite the whole debt in the N1 against each party or can I say "jointly liable"?
        You need to sue them jointly.

You can't sue two people separately for the same debt at the same time.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Many thanks to all 3 of you for your replies - very helpful and clarifies the legal situation for me. Much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X