Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advert said Gas Central Heating but house has Electric Boiler

Hi just looking for a bit of advice,

We moved in to a property in September 2020 that was advertised as having Gas Central heating.

After having smart meters installed we are now aware this is not the case and its an expensive electric boiler that is costing between £6 and £11 per day (in the first 16 days of Feb its showing as £123) to keep the house warm, Around 17 degrees in the day and then up to 20 in the evenings for a few hours before going back down to 16 for over night.

Is there anything we can do as our electricity / gas bills will almost be triple what they were in the old house which was a single glazed old property compared to the new double glazed property we are in now?

Since you moved in September, did you not raise it with the LA/LL at the time? There probably isn't much you can do as I'm sure you would have seen on the inventory that there was no Gas Meter. I would suggest you give your 1 month's notice when the time comes on your contract and move to another property, and check the property meets your requirements.

Comment

Unfortunately this is a welcome to future heating in the UK.

Early Feb has been cold, so it’s going to be an expensive month. Have you tried reducing the number of hours the heating is on and the temperature?

Comment

If you can prove your claim, you may be able to seek to unwind the tenancy on the basis that the landlord/agent breached consumer rights legislation in the way they advertised the property. You would need urgent legal advice from a housing solicitor if you want to do this.

Comment

I won't comment on the issue of whether you were misled (you might have been) -- but you may be seriously underestimating how much heating costs.

Even with gas central heating, £10 or more per day for say a two bedroom semi in peak winter might not be very unexpected. Maybe £1500 a year for energy - of which 80% is in just 3 months of the year.

£6/day is peanuts.....

Comment

Check what tariff you're on and whether it can be changed to be cheaper.
            You might find you're just on a pricey tariff or with an expensive supplier.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think it is worth putting some numbers to this.

Roughly, gas is about 3.5 times cheaper than electricity per kWh

However, it is not as simple as that for several reasons (i.e. this does not mean that for the same amount of heating your overall energy bill will be 3.5 x greater

a) Energy is about 100% efficient for electricity but only about 80% efficient for gas
              b) Probably about 15% of the average dual energy bill is a fixed standing charge (and that will be halved for single fuel)
              c) Only about 50% of the average dual fuel bill is for heating (rest for cooking, lighting etc, computing, writing posts on this forum)
              c) Electrical heating can be quite a bit more directed than gas (i.e. you can more easily heat up just the room you are in)
              d) I'm ignoring here that some electrical homes might have a low night rate.

All of this means that an annual overall energy bill for dual fuel (for roughly the same comfort) is not going to be 3.5x the amount for an electric-only system - it will definitely be 1.5x to 2x greater though - that is for sure.

That might mean (over a whole annual cycle) paying on average an extra £50 or so per month, possibly less than that.

I'd definitely have factored that in to the rate of rent - and if you were clearly misled, I would state that and ask for a £50/month rent reduction. I would not overstate it however in your own mind.

And also consider leaving and moving somewhere else if they won't reduce the rent (and it is not lower than expected anyway).

Comment

Possibly landlord adjusted the rent downwards by the £50 Andrew mentioned, as I do when advertising. How does the rent compare to similar blocks with gas heating?

It's bad that it was advertised with gas heating, but maybe an honest mistake, which has not really cost you anything if you think about it calmly.

BTW, what did the energy performance certificate say about the heating? Presumably this was available before you signed?

Comment

Halogen heater can be the temporary solution which are relatively cheaper to run whilst keep illuminated the area at no extra cost.

Comment

So are there electric radiators? It maybe that the 'boiler' is an immersion tank. This can be heated by gas or electric. Clarity needed.
                    could also be electric hot water with gas heating?

Comment

Buy a higher tog duvet and switch the heating off at night. Crazy having heating on overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

BTW, what did the energy performance certificate say about the heating? Presumably this was available before you signed?
                        That is so funny - the thought of someone reading an EPC or basing a decision on it

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post

That is so funny - the thought of someone reading an EPC or basing a decision on it
                          Agree, i would get more valid information if i consulted Mystic Meg.

Comment

Some houses can be twice as expensive as others to heat.
                            I have a 3 bed semi built in 1948, My monthly bill (winter tariff) is £190 a month and they want to put it up.
                            A relative has just moved into a house I rent to them , modern 2 bed semi, and their monthly charge has gone up to £60 a month.

Depends on the house.

Comment

How does someone not notice there's no gas boiler in their home?
                              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X