Tenant fees for early termination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant fees for early termination

I wonder if someone could offer me some advice on behalf of a friend. He recently took out an assured shorthold tenancy on an unfurnished flat through a letting agency. Shortly after moving in his circumstances changed significantly and he has had to move away from the area. The agent says that the landlord is happy to agree to an early termination of the tenancy providing another tenant can be found and he carries on paying the rent in the meantime. However they also will be charging for the checking in and out, deposit protection and a tenant find fee. Are these costs reasonable? He has taken a video of the property and is going to carry out the viewings and help find the tenant himself. He has no contact details for the landlord.

Yes, since this is an early termination of the contract then these fees are payable, if the T had stayed until the fixed term had finished and gave notice no fee would have been levied

Comment

Originally posted by jicms View Post
      The agent says that the landlord is happy to agree to an early termination of the tenancy providing another tenant can be found and he carries on paying the rent in the meantime. However they also will be charging for the checking in and out, deposit protection and a tenant find fee. Are these costs reasonable?
      I think that he would be crazy to agree to that - he pays extra fees and will also pay the rent anyway?
      If they are getting the rent anyway, why would they bother getting a new tenant in when they get paid for doing nothing? It does crop up here from time to time...

Paying the fees isn't particularly unreasonable in the circumstances, but I would want a definite end to the obligation to pay rent.

He's in a much stronger bargaining position if he tells them he has got no money, and they can either accept a surrender now or try and claim the rent back from his benefits whenever they eventually get possession...

Comment

There's a balance here.
        The agent is only able to charge their actual costs - they may not realise this, but the Tenant Fees Act limits what they are allowed to charge to their costs.
        They can't charge additional fees for check in and out, deposit protection or a tenant find fee, other than the costs of carrying out the checks, advertising etc.

But that's a double edged sword, because they also aren't obliged to end the tenancy early either, and, if the friend digs his heels in about the fees, they might reasonably decline to terminate early and simply let the tenant have to continue to the end of the fixed term that they originally agreed to.

There needs to be a negotiation and some compromise.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

We could do with a test case on this point. A landlord could argue that these are the fees they have to pay their agent so they're not breaching the TFA by passing them on to the tenant. However, the tenant could argue that these are fees they would have eventually incurred anyway but are just brought forward. It would be interesting to see what a court made of the arguments, but in the meantime, I suspect that as JPK says, the alternative is just that the landlord says forget it and just pay rent until the end of the term.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
            It would be interesting to see what a court made of the arguments
            It would.

The issue is that the gap you have identified, which is that any fee could be legitimised by being charged to the landlord by the agent, undermines the purpose of the regulations.
            The fee would be prohibited if levied on the tenant by the agent, but not if it is levied on the tenant by the landlord because the agent has charged them.

I suppose you could use the principle that an agent isn't allowed to enrich themselves using their principal's asset, so the profit would belong to the landlord and therefore be prohibited because the agent was simply collecting the landlord's fee.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              The fee would be prohibited if levied on the tenant by the agent, but not if it is levied on the tenant by the landlord because the agent has charged them.
              I'm not sure about that. I assume that the agent is able to justify their costs to the landlord, in fact the current trend of pricing elements of their service individually probably helps their case. If the fees were not legitimate, then presumably the agent would be wide open to challenges from any landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                I'm not sure about that.
                If the agent was charging the tenant, their fees would be capped at cost, and they wouldn't be allowed an element of profit.
                If they are charging the landlord, they are allowed to make a profit - which the landlord might object to, but it wouldn't be illegal, per se.

I accept that my agent is in business to make a profit, so I am not expecting them to be working for cost alone.
                But a tenant is legally entitled to require that they do work for cost alone - which is a mistake when it comes to early termination or assignment.

It's a common problem with laws relating to business activity, the people drafting them have no idea how a business works or how to incentivise the activities they wish to promote.
                The government wants agents and landlords to allow assignment and early termination of tenancies, but neglected to allow them to make any money from it, so it's a disincentive.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  If the agent was charging the tenant, their fees would be capped at cost, and they wouldn't be allowed an element of profit.
                  Actually I don't think we know that. The Act just talks about the agent's "reasonable costs". I guess it would be for that court case to determine whether that includes an element of profit. In the case of the landlord, the Act says the amount should not "exceed the loss suffered by the landlord", which would imply the full costs for which they would reasonably be liable.

Comment

In contract law, costs are costs.
                    They may include an element of someone else's profit, but not your own.

But the situations is unsatisfactory, isn't it.
                    If an agent charges a landlord £100 to create a deed of surrender, the landlord can charge the tenant £100.
                    If the agent is charging the tenant direct, the cost might have to be capped at (say) £25 for the actual time taken.

So the incentive created is for the agent to charge via the landlord, which results in the tenant paying a higher fee.
                    And, also perversely, the landlord has no way of making any profit and they're the person who makes the decision to agree to the tenant's request for a change.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to New Covid rules
                      by Hudson01
                      As said above, try to talk to him but it appears he has already started to pull up the drawbridge !!! Be prepared for no rent once you tell him you are selling and if this idiot govt extend the ban again then bank on a least a year to get the property back (without rent).
                      19-04-2021, 05:58 AM
                    • New Covid rules
                      by Carpman
                      Hiya. Can anyone give me any advice please? We have a rental property on a shorthold tenancy. Tenant has always been regular as clockwork with the rent - funded by a forces pension he receives. I would say that he is not a very stable personality either. We didn't get the rent in April. My husband...
                      18-04-2021, 11:02 AM
                    • Reply to Tenant grandsons urinating in our shared back yard.
                      by Hudson01
                      Do this...... they sound awful and the exact type of people to take advantage of their elderly grandmother thus '' doing what they like '', its a common problem when young half-wits take advantage of an older relative. Difficult to deal with though, i doubt the Police will be interested, maybe the councils...
                      19-04-2021, 05:53 AM
                    • Tenant grandsons urinating in our shared back yard.
                      by Thomas steve
                      Hi
                      2 of my tenants grandson are urinating in our shared yard.
                      she is a sitting tenant that has been there for 40+ years and apart from this she is a good tenant.

I have brought this up with a tenant several times and been assured that she will put a stop to it. But it’s still...
                      18-04-2021, 14:24 PM
                    • Reply to Evacuation of Tenant
                      by Hudson01
                      Well as part of my landlords insurance i have alternative accommodation cover......... this will house the tenant should this exact thing happen, do you have such insurance ? Also why would the tenant have insurance for your property to be uninhabitable ? To be honest you are lucky they have served...
                      19-04-2021, 05:49 AM
                    • Evacuation of Tenant
                      by berrahri
                      There was a landslide and my Tenant had to be evacuated. They cannot return because access to the property is not safe.
                      They had been reasonably okay Tenants, but as soon as this event occured they have treated me like the enemy! Everything I have advised appears to have been treated with suspicion...
                      19-04-2021, 00:23 AM
                    • Reply to DPS dispute resolution service
                      by Chester Perry
                      £900 deposit and the Letting Agent requested the whole deposit as the cleaning and redecorating to fix non wear & tear damage was estimated at approx £4000 and also they stole / took 2 x fridge freezers. Independent inventory on moving in and moving out backed all this yet the TDS awarded £700!...
                      18-04-2021, 21:14 PM
                    • DPS dispute resolution service
                      by Thomasdiets123
                      What's everyone's experiences with the DPS dispute service. Did you get what you claimed? Did you have good evidence to back it up?
                      Thank you....
                      12-04-2021, 16:37 PM
                    • Reply to Rent arrears
                      by Bixwier
                      Have any evictions ever gone ahead since cv19?

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
                      18-04-2021, 18:09 PM
                    • Rent arrears
                      by MP31
                      Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
                      To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
                      21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
                    Working...
                    X