Tenant want new kitchen and bathroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No money to pay the rent arrears, but plenty of money to redecorate & buy new carpets etc?!?!?!?!

Comment

Yes I think it would be a no from me on all counts!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

You need to be stern with the tenant, you do not have anything in the tenancy agreement saying you would provide a new kitchen and bathroom so you do not have to, unless its in unfit living conditions. If the tenant has been in the property for a year then its very unlikely it would have changed drastically, if she wasn't happy with the tenant when she first viewed the property then she should not have moved in. You could also suggest to her buying a bathmat? My little boy uses one to stop him from slipping and they are supper cheap to buy.

Comment

Berlingo

Please be very careful with these tenants. I would write a letter, send it with proof of posting etc, informing them you do not want them to replace the carpets or redecorate. If the bath needs sorting, fair enough but don't replace the kitchen. If tenant wants more modern, let her go and find a place with a more modern.

My gut feeling is these are not decent tenants and are going to cause you all sorts of grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post

I'm waiting for a photo. Having the bath repainted is something I've offered to do. I know it's not the easiest of baths to get clean as the enamel is worn. Within 2 weeks of moving in they'd asked for a free week saying they'd spent a week cleaning it! After 3 weeks they replaced my new carpet with laminate without telling me. So that'll be the carpet and underlay gone and it's a big room Then they told me they'd be paying the rent late every month to fit in with their payday, then in December they couldn't pay any of the rent and said they'd pay it off over 3 months. January's rent repayment was short. T is saying they will be redecorating and putting in new carpets in the near future!

Having said all that - they're not bad tenants.
            What's your idea of a good tenant?

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
              Berlingo

Please be very careful with these tenants. I would write a letter, send it with proof of posting etc, informing them you do not want them to replace the carpets or redecorate. If the bath needs sorting, fair enough but don't replace the kitchen. If tenant wants more modern, let her go and find a place with a more modern.

My gut feeling is these are not decent tenants and are going to cause you all sorts of grief.
              Yes, I did suggest she look elsewhere. I know a local LL who has some really nice properties and cheaper - not in such a nice area. T and Mr T got my tenancy on his wages but he left after a couple of months. T was only working part time but I don't know what T's income is now.

I've got a feeling T only said they would recarpet and decorate in the hopes that I would see them in a good light and replace the kitchen and bath.

Comment

T has texted to say she's happy there but wants things to be up to date for the money she's paying (she's in arrears) and feels that I've let her and her children down and the children have to have a bath that isn't sanitary even after she's cleaned it and it's got dirt up the sides from the previous people! Argh! they've been in there a year. I've offered to have the bath repainted!

Give me strength! I need to calm down!

I'm revving up to give her a S21 and tell her I'm selling up.

Comment

Why not suggest you don't have the money to upgrade anything at the moment because she hasn't paid her rent

Comment

She needs some incentive to look elsewhere, so I would take a firmer line and say that I don't intend to anything other than essential repairs in the property and forbid the tenant to do anything either.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                      She needs some incentive to look elsewhere, so I would take a firmer line and say that I don't intend to anything other than essential repairs in the property and forbid the tenant to do anything either.
                      This......... she sounds unhinged, so the tenant expects you to totally replace a bathroom and kitchen whilst she is not paying you rent ???? She needs to be assessed by the mental health services.

Be very firm with this one and tell her that you will get the bath '' fixed '' , but that is it, if she is not happy then you will let her go with no penalties.

Comment

I’m having similar with a current tenant, real Princess and the Pea stuff. I’ve had to grow a backbone and say no and in the nicest way, if this isn’t the property for you then why not move out before the 1st year is up, no hard feelings. I’m sure she’ll be back with more wish fulfilment stuff, but boy it felt good to say no.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

This......... she sounds unhinged, so the tenant expects you to totally replace a bathroom and kitchen whilst she is not paying you rent ???? She needs to be assessed by the mental health services.

Be very firm with this one and tell her that you will get the bath '' fixed '' , but that is it, if she is not happy then you will let her go with no penalties.
                          I have to admit I am feeling a bit , well very, confused. On the one hand T isn't happy with the rent she is paying and doesn't feel she's getting good value for money, wants a new kitchen and bath (this bath having apparently, cut the kids' bums), but on the other hand she's happy living there. On one hand T is saying they're going to replace carpets and redecorate but on the other hand they're behind in the rent.

T was happy to rent it as a 4 bed with the 4th bedroom being downstairs bed/dining/office, and is now saying something about it only be 3 beds and she's lost her dining room. I don't quite get this because there are 2 bedrooms upstairs for the children so T can use the other downstairs room as a dining room. (It's let a s a 4 bed because there is a shortage of 4 bed rentals so a big family could rent it without it being overcrowded, and is let at below the LHA 4 bed rate. )

I suspect T is revving up to ask for a rent reduction, or hoping I'll offer one.

I'm happy (ish) to have the bath repainted as I agree it's difficult to get nice and clean due to the worn enamel, but I'm not going to replace it. It's a nice sized bath - narrow, to fit in the narrow space, but nice and deep. If you have a bath in it and you've got wide hips, when you pull the plug out only the foot end of the bath empties, and your hips act as lock gates - ask me how I know

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                            and your hips act as lock gates - ask me how I know
                            Go on then........... i am sat down

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

Go on then........... i am sat down

When the property was empty and my bathroom was being done, I had a bath there and the water would not go down the plughole until I shifted my backside. There! Now you can't get that image of a fat lady's backside stopping the water draining from the bath! Serves you right for asking!

Comment

Ah! Just has a thought. T is in arrears, by less than one month. I'm wondering if this is a ploy to claim disrepair to prevent a S21 should T continue to struggle with the rent. Hmmmmm.....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Evacuation of Tenant
                                  by nukecad
                                  Just to note that you should only deduct their usual rent for the period they were in the alternative accommodation, even if it cost you more than that. (If it cost you less then you win a bit).

ie. They should only pay their normal rent, you or your insurance should cover any extra. (That's...
                                  20-04-2021, 05:45 AM
                                • Evacuation of Tenant
                                  by berrahri
                                  There was a landslide and my Tenant had to be evacuated. They cannot return because access to the property is not safe.
                                  They had been reasonably okay Tenants, but as soon as this event occured they have treated me like the enemy! Everything I have advised appears to have been treated with suspicion...
                                  19-04-2021, 00:23 AM
                                • Reply to Tenancymtenant not vacate, offers 1/3rd rent for 3 months then leave
                                  by Jon66
                                  Jeremy you need to go and take some landlord training. You will find it most helpful because you clearly don't understand the statutory framework around which you are doing business and that's not a good idea.

The tenant is perfectly entitled to remain in the property after the fixed term...
                                  20-04-2021, 01:28 AM
                                • Tenancymtenant not vacate, offers 1/3rd rent for 3 months then leave
                                  by Jeremyst
                                  AST tenant has completed tenancy but has refused to move out. Today he proposed to pay 1/3rd of most recent rent per month for 3 months then leave.
                                  If I were to agree what paperwork (contract?) do I have to have in place? If I agreed to his proposal what rights would he have as a tenant during...
                                  19-04-2021, 21:49 PM
                                • Reply to How best to serve a section 21 (6a) document?
                                  by Jon66
                                  Service is governed by the CPR and practice directions. Easy to look up if you Google CPR rules. I think its 6. It is perfectly ok to hand deliver making a note of date and time and confirming this in a sworn witness statement, although I also get a photo too where possible. Otherwise through the post...
                                  20-04-2021, 01:20 AM
                                • How best to serve a section 21 (6a) document?
                                  by Madmax86
                                  Hi all

First time serving a section 21 notice.

Been reading online and seems to be mixed responses about the best way to serve it.

I initially thought recorded or special delivery would be the best as it is tracked however if it's not received it can be deemed...
                                  19-04-2021, 17:42 PM
                                  by berrahri
                                  Thank you for your response, we have already settled the Deposit and I will now propose as you suggest with the rent return, deducting the alt accommodation cost. Hopefully they will accept and we can move on.
                                  19-04-2021, 23:36 PM
                                  by Jon66
                                  It's a civil matter. If your tenants were unable to remain in the property the usual position, unless the TA says you will provide alternative accommodation, is that the contract is frustrated and void from that point. The right thing to do is to refund the monies either from the date at which they...
                                  19-04-2021, 23:15 PM
                                  by theartfullodger
                                  HOW has tenancy ended? Notice from tenant or court order?

A fixed term tenancy is always, if tenant remains, followed by an ongoing, rolling, periodic tenancy. Thatcher's 1988 Housing Act says so.

Or have I misunderstood (again) ?
                                  19-04-2021, 22:21 PM
                                  by TTTT
                                  Don’t do it. It’s like paying a blackmailer who keeps spare copies of the incriminating evidence and will ask you for more money or discount later on. You might as well tell him if he is week late with the rent, you will get a CCj on him but if he moves out in a month, you will give him say...
                                  19-04-2021, 22:08 PM
                                Working...
                                X