LA/LL being vague about new tenancy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nikki Brown
    replied
    Sounds very frustrating and stressful as your move in date is creeping up. The agents I'm with are very good, and they will take the deposit and ID, then give the AST to the tenant almost straight away. In the AST it should have the agreed move in date but without this it does leave it up in the air on when you will actually move in. If the property is managed by the agents then I would definitely keep calling them and being persistent and stern, do not let them fob you off! You need to make it clear that you need to move within that time frame and perhaps it would be a good idea to look for other properties in the meantime and if you see anything else then consider taking it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Codger
    replied
    Could be everyone is working from home but trying to sound more efficient than they really are. It doesn't mean they are crooks.

    Leave a comment:


  • cymro123
    replied
    Contact the person you paid the Holding Deposit to via e-mail and say in accordance with Schedule 2 of The Tenant Fees Act 2019 Section 2(1) “the deadline for agreement” means the fifteenth day of the period beginning with the day on which the landlord or letting agent receives the holding deposit. Further in accordance with Section 3 of the same Act and Schedule the person who received the holding deposit must repay it if the landlord and the tenant fail to enter into a tenancy agreement relating to the housing before the deadline for agreement. Finally in accordance with Section 4 you expect the deposit must be repaid within the period of 7 days beginning with the deadline for agreement or you will be taking legal action.

    I would be driving away from this cowboy LL/LA outfit as fast as you can.

    Leave a comment:


  • DPT57
    replied
    Hmmn. What's the Thai boxer comment about? Sounds like you're trying to be menacing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon Jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

    Just responding to some bits above.
    It is not at all abnormal for rents to shift up or down depending a LOT on the nature of the transaction (start date, your risk profile, anticipated duration and so on). It is a negotiation and not a fixed price, so nothing really sneaky about it.
    My risk profile is low, after all, I'm not the one with the mortgage.

    As for upping the advertised price after someone shows strong interest and is part of their viewing itinerary that involves a 500 mile round trip and an overnight stay during lockdown, that is not playing a straight game.

    At the end of the day, when the entire industry is bent, it's easy to justify crappy behaviour - normalisation in an echo chamber.


    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    Bear in mind that they have to be extraordinarily cautious these days and the fallout of the current legislation is on tenants. If you want a more open rental market with freedom of choice and freedom to negotiate then campaign for that....
    Easy to go META on online -even more so when you're a/not directly involved and b/own property and aren't in the position of renting.

    I'd love to see you have that outlook if the situation was reversed.

    Right now, buddy, I'm interested in finding somewhere to live - campaigning for change in the rental sector is far down my list of current priorities - as if that needed explaining anyway.

    Simon Jeffrey isn't my name, a number of thai boxers know my real name.

    Leave a comment:


  • AndrewDod
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Jeffrey View Post

    ...

    The day before I was due to drive up north and view, the LA informed me the LL had spoken to his wife and wanted to increase the monthly rent by £50. This annoyed me, it felt like a sneaky second-car dealer tactic, but I decided to go ahead and view anyway.
    ...

    When I rang up to put a holding deposit down, the agent said the LL preferred a 12 month AST. I reminded the LA that they had originally told me it was 6 mths. I then informed them the LL had verbally confirmed this at the viewing.

    ...

    They have a holding deposit. I have nothing apart from empty words and a few emails drawn out over the course of a week asking for ID and bank details.

    ...

    I've started looking again for properties today - partly because this all seems shifty and may fall through.

    ...

    Also, the conduct of these individuals so far makes me feel they may well now need to be jettisoned from any further involvement in my life.
    Just responding to some bits above.
    It is not at all abnormal for rents to shift up or down depending a LOT on the nature of the transaction (start date, your risk profile, anticipated duration and so on). It is a negotiation and not a fixed price, so nothing really sneaky about it.

    That said the holding deposit is paid on the basis of a particular agreed agreement (if not you should not have paid it). If they are changing that agreement do ask for it back and yes -- do look elsewhere.

    Bear in mind that they have to be extraordinarily cautious these days and the fallout of the current legislation is on tenants. If you want a more open rental market with freedom of choice and freedom to negotiate then campaign for that....

    Leave a comment:


  • DPT57
    replied
    It's difficult, but I would suggest to try to negotiate a deadline for giving you the contract as the clock is ticking.

    Leave a comment:


  • theartfullodger
    replied
    There's nothing to prevent you counter-proposing an e.g. £100 rent reduction.

    They obviously think the price is negotiable, go ahead and negotiate!

    Call Shelter free helpline 0808 800 4444 to check your rights.

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon Jeffrey
    started a topic LA/LL being vague about new tenancy

    LA/LL being vague about new tenancy

    Hello

    I gave 10 weeks notice on my existing rental to enact a break clause due to needing to relocate with my role at work.

    I enquired about a property via a well-known agency and was told the owners would be moving out between mid-late February. I indicated I would be happy to move in from 1st March and the viewing was arranged. I was also told it would be initially let on a 6 month AST.

    The day before I was due to drive up north and view, the LA informed me the LL had spoken to his wife and wanted to increase the monthly rent by £50. This annoyed me, it felt like a sneaky second-car dealer tactic, but I decided to go ahead and view anyway.

    Viewed the property / met the LL and decided to proceed after verbally agreeing a 6mth AST with a March 1st move-in.

    When I rang up to put a holding deposit down, the agent said the LL preferred a 12 month AST. I reminded the LA that they had originally told me it was 6 mths. I then informed them the LL had verbally confirmed this at the viewing.

    The agent conceded that 6 months was fine, took the deposit and initiated the referencing - which cleared 9 days ago.

    I emailed the LA last Monday morning about when I could expect to see a tenancy agreement. They replied on Tuesday about needing ID and bank details, which I promptly supplied.

    I followed up with a call on on the same day and asked what was happening in terms of my move-in date and a tenancy agreement. They were non-committal. I asked them if this was move definitely going ahead and explained my current tenancy expires March 15th.

    They said "it's definitely going ahead and as soon as I know, I'll let you know". I've had no further word on this.

    As of this coming Monday, it will be 10 days on from reference checks and no sign of a tenancy.

    I plan to take 5 days off from work to conduct this move and will need to give my employer suitable notice in terms of annual leave. Then there's booking a van and a week or more packing and cleaning at my current rental.

    I'm able to put a date in the calendar and begin the process of effecting a move from half-way across the country.

    Yet the landlord seems unwilling to authorise tenancy proceedings/unable to commit to a near-term date of when they will be vacating to another property in their locale?

    They have a holding deposit. I have nothing apart from empty words and a few emails drawn out over the course of a week asking for ID and bank details.

    Furthermore, 2 weeks have passed where I've stopped looking for other properties.

    The agent will/would be be managing the property.

    They also appear to have given my contact details to their insurance providers, who were making multiple spam calls to sell me tenants insurance on a place I have no tenancy for!

    I think that last bit speaks volumes.

    I've got just over 5 weeks until my tenancy expires and a couple are moving in here at some point after the 15th.

    I've started looking again for properties today - partly because this all seems shifty and may fall through.

    Also, the conduct of these individuals so far makes me feel they may well now need to be jettisoned from any further involvement in my life.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X