Renting to my daughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting to my daughter

I have a 3 bed property to rent to my daughter and her boyfriend. She is a full time student and he is unemployed. What effect would my daughter living at the property have on the amount her boyfriend would receive in applying for housing benefit?

Is the property mortgaged?

Comment

Renting to my daughter

Yes it is mortgaged - i have previously rented the property

Comment

Sorry, should have asked if it was a BTL mortgage.

If it is a BTL mortgage, the majority of lenders do not permit family members as tenants. It'll be written in the mortgage terms and conditions to which you agree and sign up to.

Additionally, you need to know whether the mortgage lender will permit a HB tenant to sign a tenancy agreement for the property. A change of tenants' circumstances requiring an HB claim after the commencement of a tenancy is one thing, but to initiate a tenancy agreement with an HB claimant is usually unacceptable to the majority of lenders.

Comment

Be careful to make it clear to the HB about relationships, be open and honest. They may view this as a contrived tenancy especially if you are not up front about the relationships.
          I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

It is not a BTL mortgage and I previously let to a HB tenent

Comment

petjoke: why not let to daughter's boyfriend as sole tenant, to avoid "no letting to family" problem?
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I need to be open about their relationship as my daughter insists on this

Comment

Originally posted by petjoke View Post
                  I need to be open about their relationship as my daughter insists on this
                  Depends on how LHA/HB/DSS people interpret the term 'family', I guess.
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

had some experience with inter family lettings.

agree you need to be up front and honest about who's who and what's where with the HB / council guys.

From memory, our bottom line was that they needed to be assured that it was first and foremost a business deal. contracts in place and if if rent not paid, tenant will get no special favours. they may well visit and spend more time on the case.

only thing i can think of with regards to claiming benefit: will they not say that a 3 bed house is unnecessary for a couple? Although I suppose benefit paid will just be reduced - he/she will be asked to pay up the difference.

Comment

I know it's not part of your original question, but do think carefully about renting to family members. If they dont pay the rent are you really ready to evict them and take her to Court for the money or to charge for defects to the property? Doing business or renting to friends and family doesnt work in my personal experience, its fraught with problems. Take care.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. My daughter isn't eligible for HB as she's a FT student. Do you think HB will pay her boyfriend a reasonable amount and the council tax? I need to have some idea as I need some income as i can only subsidise them to a degree.

Comment

If daughter (student) cohabits with him, that will of course reduce Council Tax by 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by petjoke View Post
                            Thanks for your reply. Do you think HB will pay her boyfriend a reasonable amount and the council tax? I need to have some idea as I need some income as i can only subsidise them to a degree.
                            the word 'subsidise' makes me think that you're looking to give them a preferential deal over any other tenant that might pay you the going rate for your property.

which you are of course. they are family.... but the hb people are likely to take a dim view (or rather a keener interest) if they think that they are in any way being 'scammed' (wrong word i know but cant think of another. i suppose 'used' might be better).

forgetting the family connection, could they afford to rent this house from you (whether thats with or without hb assistance?)

Comment

Due to the fact:
                              • Own the property
                              • Pay a residential mortgage (or is there something else you need to clarify? we won't tell your lender that you're renting it... )
                              • Your daughter is not an HB claimant

I would rent the property on an AST agreement solely to your daughter for six months. The boyfriend would merely live with her as a lodger at her discretion. Your daughter must be solely responsible for the rent paid to you. It equally follows that your daughter is responsible for household bills. It will be up to your daughter whether she accepts rent and shares bills with the boyfriend - that'll be a good test of a relationship. Whether the boyfriend receives HB is not your concern because he ain't your tenant if you do things this way.

If your daughter can't afford the whole rent and/or she doesn't trust the boyfriend to do the right thing - then do not let to either of them at all.

At the end of the day, if you decide that you want to evict your daughter through the courts, the boyfriend wouldn't come into it because he ain't your tenant.

Keep it simple.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                                BouwensPB
                                I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                                26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                              • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                                Galatea
                                I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
                                27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                              • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Pb21
                                Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                                25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                              • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                                Galatea
                                Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
                                The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
                                27-07-2017, 22:13 PM
                              • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                IoIo
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                                26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                IoIo
                                Thank you all for your comments. Very useful, informative and much appreciated.

The tenants are "moving out" on the last day of the current tenancy i.e. at the end of the term. My understanding is that if they're all listed as the "Tenant" then if one gives notice it's...
                                27-07-2017, 21:23 PM
                              • This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                                Berlingogirl
                                This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                                27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                              • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                                Berlingogirl
                                I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
                                27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                                Wright76
                                You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
                                27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
                                theartfullodger
                                Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
                                27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                              Working...
                              X