Can neighbouring 2-bed flat be let for 5 people?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can neighbouring 2-bed flat be let for 5 people?

A letting company has rented out a 2 bedroom flat on to a company let.

My friend owns the property below this flat and my question is are they allowed 5 people in this property. I dont think the rental agent is aware that there are five people in this flat.

What are my friends options?

Actually I could fit 6 students in a 2 bed flat.

There is nothing that your friend can do. No law is being broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post

Is that like one of those "how many students can fit in a phone box" competitions?
      Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Yeah! You wanna play?

6 students in 2 bed property: 2 sleeping in each bedroom plus 2 sleeping in the living room.

Who needs coffee tables anyway?

Comment

Yeah! You wanna play?

6 students in 2 bed property: 2 sleeping in each bedroom plus 2 sleeping in the living room.

Who needs coffee tables anyway?
          Sorry Poppy, you are wrong!

You can easy get 12 students in a two bed flat, 2 each in the bedrooms, 4 in the lounge and 4 sharing the toilet to throw up in!

Oh, and then the one who falls asleep in the wardrobe, better make that 13 then. ( unlucky for some )

Comment

There is nothing that your friend can do. No law is being broken.
            1. Not so. Overcrowding may be unlawful. See s.216 of Housing Act 2004.
            2. Also see s.264 re how to calculate number of persons for Act's purposes. If students constitute people [quaere], this may apply too.
            3. At present, no SIs have yet been made under either section.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

OK. Maybe stating that no law is being broken is lacking detail. For the scenario that craigfer has described, the property is not officially overcrowded.

The Housing Act 2004 section 216 Overcrowding led me to the Housing Act 1985 Part 10 Overcrowding. Read this if you can be bothered folks Housing Act 1985 Part 10 Overcrowding

People aged under 1 year is a non-person.
              People aged 1 to 9 (and 364 days) years is counted as half.

All together now … Aaaaaaahhhhhh!

I'd be bloody surprised if a local authority actually acted against a situation with 6 tenants in a 2 bed property. They'd be more interested in how many people are stored in the basement.

Comment

No one has mentioned whether the owner of the flat concerned knows how many people are occupying the property?

My ASTs stipulate how many people may live in any of my properties. More people is more wear and tear. Maybe Poppy doesn't care about the condition of the properties she manages, but she would certainly not be handling mine!

I am beginning to think I have been extremely lucky in the agent I use!!!
                Mrs Jones
                I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

be interesting to know what kind of company puts 5 people in a 2 bedroomed place. less likely to be your non people or half people I guess.

could be guys (or girls, not to be sexist) on opposing shifts? seen that happen before with oil rig workers.

Comment

Or menage-a-troilists?
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by glantisant View Post
                      be interesting to know what kind of company puts 5 people in a 2 bedroomed place. seen that happen before with oil rig workers.
                      And Poles - they often get shafted.

Ba dum tish.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week.
                      Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

That health warning is pretty apt for, I hesitate to say it, 'jokes' like that ')

Comment

You seem to forget that you could get 4 in a bed if you top and tail ... oh and none of you mentioned the bath. I know many a student friend who ended up in the bath after a night on the tiles.
                          GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

So, what's your total then for the competition?

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                              You seem to forget that you could get 4 in a bed if you top and tail ... oh and none of you mentioned the bath. I know many a student friend who ended up in the bath after a night on the tiles.
                              I didn't think students took baths?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
                                vpltd
                                Hi,
                                Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                                (A residential let in England.)
                                VPL.
                                11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
                              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                                jjlandlord
                                You made a claim. You tell us.

It was claimed that a tenant may freely leave whenever he pleases once he has received a s.21notice. If that was indeed the case you can imagine the mess with all those precautionary notices.

It was already the case...
                                18-08-2017, 12:43 PM
                              • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                                Wright76
                                I totally agree, I was just trying to find any justification for claims that a tenant must serve notice in return of a section 21. It could never ever be demanded within the 2 month notice period, and in my opinion I agree it couldn't be demanded thereafter. But JJlandlord is adamant that requirement...
                                18-08-2017, 12:40 PM
                              • Lying tenant
                                mazco
                                We had a tenant in our property. Initial agreement was for 6 months from April 2016 but then went on to SPT.
                                In June he didn't pay his rent due on 15th of the month. Chased him and got excuses. On 10th July got a text from him saying he had moved out and left a key under the mat for us. He reckoned...
                                18-08-2017, 12:03 PM
                              • Reply to Lying tenant
                                JK0
                                Hmm. If tenant was stupid enough to leave valuable furniture behind, it's JK0's money in my book.

(Not that that ever happened. All I get left is broken Ikea tat.)
                                18-08-2017, 12:30 PM
                              • Reply to Lying tenant
                                jpkeates
                                The deposit doesn't limit what you can try and recover from the tenant.
                                It's simply a convention designed to make a simple claim easier.

You can't sell the tenant's goods and use the proceeds to settle their debt without their consent.
                                That's the tenant's money.
                                18-08-2017, 12:27 PM
                              • Reply to Lying tenant
                                mazco
                                Unfortunately the deposit doesn't come close to what he already owes. Deposit of just over £1100 to cover two months rent at £900 per month, replacement carpet £200, bath replacement needed, disposal of rubbish, clearing of garden. He 'kindly' left us some furniture which I managed to sell for around...
                                18-08-2017, 12:24 PM
                              • Reply to Lying tenant
                                jpkeates
                                And, of course, this....
                                18-08-2017, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to Lying tenant
                                jpkeates
                                There are rules about who is responsible for the council tax. And they relate to residence, not the tenancy.
                                If the tenant is in the fixed term of a tenancy agreement, that means they're liable.
                                If they are in a rolling agreement and move out, you are liable.

If the tenancy...
                                18-08-2017, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to Lying tenant
                                JK0
                                I'd forget about getting utilites to believe you. Just work out a reasonable extra amount to add to deposit request.
                                18-08-2017, 12:18 PM
                              Working...
                              X