Tenancy Deposit Dispute - what are my rights please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Deposit Dispute - what are my rights please?

Hi, wondering if anyone can please offer some advice. For the record, my deposit is held with TDS. I have moved out of a rental property and today received the checkout report. The landlord was moving back into the property after being abroad for 5 years. Before moving out they arranged for contractors to visit the property and told us they were going to redecorate by way of paining and re carpeting the whole house.

We were told that although a professional clean was expected we did not need to have the carpets cleaned as new carpets were to be laid the day after we moved out. Today I have received the check-out report and the breakdown of costs the landlord would like to charge me for. Although they explicitly told me they were going to fully redecorate and when comparing the checkout reports there is no significant difference in the paint work or the flooring. Re the flooring, when we moved in the previous tenants had a dog and there were a lot of scratches in the living room. We highlighted this in the check in report. The checkout report has also noted this, but it has come to our attention that the landlady called the inventory company and had them amend report to say there were significant scratches to the floor. We do have a pet, but she has never scratched the floor. The Landlord is using a cost model whereby they are charging me a % of the cost for the walls to be redecorated and floors to be sanded based on the longevity of the paintwork for 10 years. So, I am being made to pay for the 2 years that is left in the lifespan of the paintwork and the same applies to the floors. The landlord has owned the house for 7 years.

I have never heard of this cost/charge model, is it legal? I cannot see anything to this effect in my lease nor find anything on the TDS.
    Can the landlord have the inventory clerk modify the report to exaggerate wear and tear and then try to charge me? (Example scratches by dog, not mine)
    If the report clearly indicates no damage to the property and no significant discrepancy in the paint work is she allowed to charge me for the lifespan of the paintwork remaining?
    Should the Landlord not have waited for the check-out report, explicitly provided me with any re decoration quotes she felt I was responsible for, before carrying out any work in the house?

It is my belief the landlord was always going to re decorate and the decorators arrived the day I handed the keys back. I feel like I am being charged for a redecoration project off the back of my lease but with no evidence of damage to the property and without the opportunity to agree or disagree to what work needed doing or having a say in the decorators used.

If anyone can please advise or point me to a site where I am able to obtain information re my rights and how to respond to the landlord I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Go through the adjudication process of the TDS, with the evidence, the LL can have any figure they want but it would be for your agree or disagree with, if you disagree then it's moved to claims handler at TDS who will ultimately have finally say and verdict. If you have and documentations that says that you don't need to clean the carpets etc, add this to your defence paperwork and submit to the TDS.

Comment

Thank you Ash72. Is it standard procedure for a tenant to respond the agent and or landlord or simply to open a case with the the TDS directly? Might anyone be able to direct me to a site which may hold a legal type of template letter in order for me to respond? Thank you.

Comment

The landlord can claim compensation for any loss in value of their property beyond fair wear and tear.
        If they can demonstrate that there is damage beyond fair wear and tear, it sounds as if the calculation they are using is right, the loss adjusted for the fair wear and tear they were expecting.

But they can only charge you for the loss if the thing they are replacing needed to be replaced.
        If there's no need to decorate or replace the carpets, there's no lifetime lost because the condition is down to fair wear and tear.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It is correct procedure to charge a percentage based on the shortened lifespan - so if paintwork should last 5 years and the LL has to repaint after 4 the lifespan has been shortened by 1 year - 20% - so that it a correct charge.

The question is how long something should last. I would suggest painted walls - 5 yrs; carpets 10 yrs; woodwork 10yrs - but the LL can't charge you because she is moving in and wants new paint / carpets if they clearly wouldn't need replacing for another tenant.

I would either make an offer if you feel there is anything above wear and tear that you should pay for or go through arbitration with the deposit scheme. If you go to arbitration make sure you supply evidence to back up your statements.

Good luck

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Reference payment
            by Jon66
            To be honest, I don't have enough to do do at the moment . . . decorating room no 4 just to keep busy šŸ¤£...
            03-03-2021, 23:58 PM
          • Reference payment
            by jase222
            Hi,
            I have a tenant who's leaving shortly and a letting agent sent through letter asking for a reference for the tenant, in the letter there was also 4 pages of questions about 120 to be precise.

I know it will take best part of a hour as quite a few are detailed and require looking...
            03-03-2021, 10:49 AM
          • Reply to Legal question
            by mind the gap
            Oh, I agree the police would be the route to go down assuming the coercive behaviour could be proven. Their concern at this stage is to try to stop it happening in the first place by sending clear signals to the daughter that there is no point even trying to get any more money from their father as ways...
            03-03-2021, 22:49 PM
          • Legal question
            by mind the gap
            Hi all, hope you're keeping safe.

Not sure which forum to put this in - happy for Moderator to move if appropriate.

Scenario is as follows. In 2018, elderly widower changes the will he made jointly with wife in 1980s. He does it all properly, using a solicitor and include...
            01-03-2021, 13:01 PM
          • Reply to Maintenance access home working tenants
            by Neelix
            I would find another spark ..... I occasionally work on Saturdays for key customers, then take a day off during the week

being self employed sometimes means being flexible
            03-03-2021, 22:26 PM
          • Maintenance access home working tenants
            by Morleyman
            Wondered if anyone can clarify where I stand needing to have electrical maintenance carried out on a rental property where tenants work from home due to COVID. The electrician I am using only works weekdays but my tenants have said this work cannot take place during the week as they canā€™t have the...
            03-03-2021, 20:43 PM
          • Reply to Maintenance access home working tenants
            by boletus
            Would a reasonable tenant in good health do the little job of allowing access during normal working hours for a non essential EICR during a covid lockdown?

Maybe.

Personally, I'm not asking my tenants or electrician to risk it, even though I'm sure they would if I asked....
            03-03-2021, 21:53 PM
          • Reply to New tenant credit check
            by theartfullodger
            Suggest landlord check service which will include reference and credit check. I've seen them as cheap as Ā£5 with SaL from Vouch (this is not a recommendation or a criticism, see forum rules). Or many, many, other such services.

Bank statements can be very revealing. Read carefully, especially...
            03-03-2021, 21:19 PM
          • New tenant credit check
            by Wumingshi1
            Hello,
            I wonder if anyone could recommend a credit check service please?
            I have seen a few posts recommend openrent but just wondering if that's what everyone is using?

Thank you.
            02-03-2021, 15:44 PM
          • Reply to Reference payment
            by boletus
            How do they retract leaving and how do they stop you going for CCJ/guarantor's house/assets/attachment of earnings etc?...
            03-03-2021, 21:09 PM
          Working...
          X