Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a tenant wiling to offer more rent money than listed

Good afternoon.

Tomorrow morning we are viewing a property which is perfect fo us in everyway.
    The estate agents gathers those who are interested and discuss with the landlord over who would be best suited to take the property.

I am tempted to offer an extra £25 per month. But unsure if this will make me look good and sway the decision, or might have the opposite effect and make me look bad.

Any help appreciated

Thomas

My agent (pre-plague) carried out open day bookings and we would regularly get offers about the asking price from people who had found their perfect place and seen the interest of other people.

Most of them ended up taking the property, but there were a few who I suspect were hoping that the increased rent would by-pass the usual tenant vetting, as they subsequently failed it.

I'd make it clear what it is about the place that makes it perfect for you.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In this situation the LL will take the tenant least likely, in their opinion, to cause a problem.

The only thing you can do is ensure your credit history is impeccable, your references superb and your last LL entirely happy with how you left the place. If you are consistently doing these things you will be high on a LLs list. You may not get this property, but you will get one eventually.

PS Don't get a pet!!

Comment

Thank you for replies so far, furthermore we have a guarantor for this property and have always used one, this isn't due to bad credit, just because our income is slightly under the threshold. Regardless in 5 years of renting we have never so much as made a late payment.

Regards
        Thomas

Comment

Furthermore to this, the reason we are moving is a section 21. I have been honest about this and there is no reason other than our current landlord is selling up, he has assured us of a good reference, and we are working with him to help the property sell

Comment

Originally posted by Thomasdiets123 View Post
            Furthermore to this, the reason we are moving is a section 21. I have been honest about this and there is no reason other than our current landlord is selling up, he has assured us of a good reference, and we are working with him to help the property sell
            £25/month is a drop in the bucket for a Landlord if you don't appear to be a good tenant. You could offset an entire years' value of the increase if you failed to pay even one month, so I doubt you'll sway them with that.

References also don't mean a great deal, it's poor practice but everyone knows somebody who gave a reference "just to be rid" of a problem tenant...

Comment

Originally posted by hybrice View Post

£25/month is a drop in the bucket for a Landlord if you don't appear to be a good tenant. You could offset an entire years' value of the increase if you failed to pay even one month, so I doubt you'll sway them with that.

References also don't mean a great deal, it's poor practice but everyone knows somebody who gave a reference "just to be rid" of a problem tenant...
              Thanks for the advice.
              I will most likely not offer the extra money then.

Comment

The best bet is to simply sell yourself as really good tenants who look after the place and pay the rent, these two things alone are the big ones we all go for, but you need to prove it to the agent/landlord.

Comment

Hudson01,

Thank you for that. I'll keep to the basics and try not to overthink the process then.
                  Whatever will be will be.
                  I will let them know we are long term tenants who have never missed a payment and always looked after the homes we have lived in.
                  Thank you

Comment

Wanting to stay longterm is defiantly a plus

Comment

Originally posted by hybrice View Post

Whilst I agree that £25 is a drop in the ocean, if you are equal place to somebody else, £25 extra might just put you ahead.

....... and don't get a pet.

Comment

I do all my own viewings and I tend to choose tenants on the following criteria:

Do I think they will pay the rent on time
                        Do I think they will look after the property
                        Do they seem open and honest
                        Do they smoke (a lot of tenants say they don’t but I’ve seen some of mine smoking outside)
                        Have they got any pets (sorry but it’s a no from me if you’ve got any pets)

And these are some of the reasons why prospective tenants have never heard from me again:

Tenant wanted to replace my newly laid carpets himself with wooden floor
                        Tenant wanted to change my neutral decor to fit in with his own tastes
                        Tenant wanted to negotiate a decrease in rent even before we’d got anywhere near the referencing stage
                        Tenant didn’t want me to do the credit checks as they didn’t have a UK bank account

There are more reasons but you get the gist.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.
                          We have viewed the property and loved it. We made clear in our email to landlord that the hard work they have put in to the property would be at the front of out minds at all times.
                          We also offered to pay 3 months of rent up front.
                          Hoping for the best but know there's lots of interest.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 3 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
                            by Heidi2016
                            Thank you for your response. We want to find out who the landlord is because we have found out that the property has no HMO license when it should have one. The council haven’t been informed of the death of the original landlord and the land registry still hasn’t been changed. We have paid our rent...
                            10-04-2021, 21:50 PM
                          • Section 3 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
                            by Heidi2016
                            Under Section 3 LLTA 1985 a new landlord has to provide their details within two months. Does this apply to new landlords who inherit a property from a deceased relative? It’s been a year since the landlord died and I want to speak to the new landlord but the agent won’t give the landlord’s details...
                            09-04-2021, 21:50 PM
                          • Reply to Tenant asks to quit tenancy then changes mind.
                            by Dreamingofsea
                            In addition what I gather from everyone’s advice my tenant is not legally able to give notice in month 3 of a 6 month contract even if I agreed she could leave with no penalty etc. So everything continues as normal for 6 months. Rent can be legally due if she remains in situ. I have found alternative...
                            10-04-2021, 20:48 PM
                          • Tenant asks to quit tenancy then changes mind.
                            by Dreamingofsea
                            Be v grateful for advice. My tenant said she wanted to End her tenancy contract early in month 3 of 6 month contract. I said ok, I ll give deposit back let’s call it s quits. No penalties won t hold her to the rest of the 6 month contract. I then Advised a mum of a friend she could move on...
                            10-04-2021, 03:05 AM
                            by Dreamingofsea
                            Thanks everyone. To be honest DPT 57 it was just an email saying “ I intend to move out on 17th April 2021..... “. It is month 3 of a 6 month fixed term. She wants to leave I said ok because I don t believe in tying people in if they want to move out even though I could have refused it. She...
                            10-04-2021, 20:40 PM
                          • Reply to Water Bill Dispute - how to resolve?
                            by rinseusebang
                            Just a follow up on this - we have figured out why this bill has appeared, however we are waiting for the letting agent to respond and clear it:
                            - There was an issue around our move in that led to the letting agent crediting us X amount of money as an apology.
                            - Once this amount was used...
                            10-04-2021, 20:12 PM
                          • Water Bill Dispute - how to resolve?
                            by rinseusebang
                            Tenancy Began: February 2020
                            Tenancy ended: March 2021

Currently in a dispute over a water bill - the letting agent are paying water for the whole building so it is agreed that tenants pay a requested amount to them throughout contract.

A water bill was given to us in...
                            07-04-2021, 16:18 PM
                            by GaryGoals
                            Question for someone in the know: If a tenant issues a LL with a formal notice to quit in writing etc with dates. If they do not move out after that date, what happens?...
                            10-04-2021, 17:00 PM
                          • Reply to Long Leasehold - Crossover Lease
                            by Lawcruncher
                            I pass on question (1).

Question (2) does rather assume that all the other ways in which the leasehold and freehold interests relate to each are trouble free. That is certainly not the case. In the end, it all comes down to whether people are reasonable and willing to pay their way. Tyneside...
                            10-04-2021, 16:58 PM
                          • Long Leasehold - Crossover Lease
                            by landlord-man
                            TWO QUESTIONS

(1)

If you buy a leasehold flat, who is responsible for "energy efficiency" - the Freeholder or Lessee?

When you come to sell on that flat, you get an EPC - obviously a rating of B would be more attractive than a D - but who legally maintains...
                            10-04-2021, 15:34 PM
                          Working...
                          X