X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post

Blimey, correction as well, off into Sado-masacism eh?
    Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Berlingogirl I'd hope that anyone in a council leadership team, confronted with a hyper keen housing officer would be mindful of the possible publicity and quietly ignore that particular HMO...

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    The key element is a household.
    If a polyamorous group is one household, they'd be fine.
    How would a group prove they're polyamorous? Or how would a council prove that it wasn't a polyamorous relationship? Would a landlord who accepted a group be fined should they, the LL, not be able to prove the group is polyamorous? How amorous does a group have to be to be classed as polyamorous? Do the members of the group have to just say that it's the case?

Hmmmmmmm........................... I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been a case highlighted anywhere where there's been an issue.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Yes. 'sfunny how HMO legislation doesn;t apply to council or housing association property. Obviously such landlords would never do any bad thing......

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    I knew three people who were in a polyamorous relationship once. Had been for years and it seemed to work for them. They had a council flat so I guess the problem didn't arise, but I've often thought how difficult it would be for them if landlords weren't prepared to let to them on the basis of their relationship, which of course is not covered by equalities legislation.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by MdeB View Post

I'm not sure that a menage a trois counts for HMO designation. But I am happy to be corrected.
    Blimey, correction as well, off into Sado-masacism eh?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    The key element is a household.
    If a polyamorous group is one household, they'd be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied

I'm not sure that a menage a trois counts for HMO designation. But I am happy to be corrected.
    Interesting. Two unrelated people are ok. Two related people plus one is not ok. What about a menage a very many, say 5 ? Looks like that's the way to go to get around HMO regs.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
    ridiculously the only way round it is to say two of the two are in a civil partnership. Or for a practical solution for two individuals to take the tenancy and the other one to be their lodger.
    It would still be an HMO either way.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

Or marry them, cohabit/sleep with them. That's what the government wants. Sex.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
    ridiculously the only way round it is to say two of the two are in a civil partnership. Or for a practical solution for two individuals to take the tenancy and the other one to be their lodger.
    I believe that the lodger exception does not apply to rented property, only to owner-occupiers.

Leave a comment:

• flyingfreehold
    replied
    ridiculously the only way round it is to say two of the two are in a civil partnership. Or for a practical solution for two individuals to take the tenancy and the other one to be their lodger. Ok unless the status of a lodger is no good for the purposes of claiming off the state

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Maybe if one of you were to legally adopt the other two?
    Or marry them, cohabit/sleep with them. That's what the government wants. Sex.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Maybe if one of you were to legally adopt the other two?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    How do you satisfy the requirement
    "To ensure that all fire escapes are clear of any obstacles and that they are kept in good order, to ensure that all fire safety measures are maintained in good working order and that adequate fire safety measures are in place with regards to the design, structural conditions and number of occupiers in the HMO"
    without a risk assessment?
    I have 3 friends sharing a flat in a 1980s block at the moment. The landings, stairwells and grounds are well maintained by the management company who are very proactive on this sort of thing. I don't know that in practice, that term in the regulations means having to ensure much more than this for a landlord. Fire safety measures are checked at quarterly inspections for all my properties. I may be missing something, but I really don't think its so difficult in a small HMO. My only real fear is that the Council will revise its Additional Licensing Scheme, (currently limited to 4 person HMOs).

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
    by AndrewDod
    99.9999% of the time blocked kitchen sink is your problem and your fault. What do you think is the cause and how long have you lived there??...
    13-04-2021, 20:49 PM
  • Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
    by sushi
    My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent has been dragging his feet getting a plumber out and when someone did come, they confirmed my suspicions that it's something more just needing to pour some unblocker down (this is why I haven't called someone out myself...
    13-04-2021, 18:06 PM
  • Reply to Possession order question
    by pebblepebble
    Nothing happened for my review hearing, the solicitor said he had never had a call from the courts but he and I had to be available 'just in case'. The attended hearing was about 10 weeks later. Defendant didn't turn up, PO awarded together with costs. Judge wouldn't allow escalating to HCEO.
    13-04-2021, 20:39 PM
  • Possession order question
    by Borgie
    Got a telephone hearing early next month to get possssion order. Can anyone talk me through what is likely to happen at this please. Plus will it definitely proceed to a physical hearing ( have a date for this if it happens) or could the possession order be granted at the telephone hearing?
    13-04-2021, 18:18 PM
    by sushi
    We're careful when using the sink what goes down. We've called out people for things in the past and they've told us that it wasn't installed or whatever properly to start with. It seems we're suffering the consequences of shoddy workmanship and doing things on the cheap....
    13-04-2021, 20:39 PM
    by sushi
    I have tried to unblock it with a plunger and unblocker but it didn't work. A few months ago we called out a plumber who unblocked until it happened again almost 3 weeks ago.

That's why I'm convinced there's a problem with the whole system.

I'd rather it be officially attended...
    13-04-2021, 20:36 PM
  • Reply to Can anyone share a template Contract please?
    by Jon66
    Funnily enough I also reached the same conclusion as ExpertInAField and jpkeates . . . hence my comment that this may not be the right business for them ­čĄö I would still like to know in what way the quoted clause is contradictory, anyway clearly learning is not in Vene's agenda....
    13-04-2021, 20:32 PM
  • Can anyone share a template Contract please?
    by Vene
    Hi,

I'm renting a residential property (for the first time) and i would like a Word document of a tenancy agreement/contract, that i could edit with specific details. Some information to help understand the tenancy:

Property is in England.
    Tenancy is for a sole tenant...
    11-04-2021, 21:43 PM
  • Reply to AST v Holiday Let
    by Hudson01
    On the coast...... it has to be a point in front for Holiday Let, i do not see the demand for good UK holiday lets to go down much so this would be my choice if the location is right...... and it is that last point which really makes the thing work or not.
    13-04-2021, 19:59 PM
Working...
X