Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord Responsibilities

Hi all,

Wondering if you can help advise on what our responsibilities as a landlord are in this situation.

We have a new tenant who has just moved in and has complained that there is too much road noise for them to sleep. We haven't had this complaint before. The tenant is requesting that we install thick, heavy curtains in addition to the blind that is currently there. We would prefer not to do this (the room is already small so it won't look great and the expense is off putting as we have already significantly reduced the rent due to covid so we are barely breaking even).

Does anyone know whether there is any guidance about landlord responsibilities when the requested work isn't classed as essential? We have always been keen to respond to tenant requests but struggling to justify this one! But also don't want to upset the tenant or deprive them of sleep!

By road noise ........ is the property on a main road etc ??? If so, the same main road was there when they viewed the property !!!! Unless the council have built it after they viewed but before they moved in . I would decline the request and suggest ear plugs ( at their expense).

Comment

Thanks so much for your response. It's not on a main road but is in central London. There is a main ish road approximately 30 metres away but it's never caused noise problems for previous tenants or ourselves when we used to live there. No building work or anything has changed since the viewing a few weeks ago. They have said they are using earplugs but are saying this is uncomfortable for them. Feels so awkward to say no, especially when they're a brand new tenant, but do feel like it's a significant expense for us! Would suggesting it could be done at their expense be a reasonable option?!

Comment

Yes..... if they want to fit heavy curtains then crack on ...... but they pay. I would be careful though, they sound needy and if you do this for them (i.e you pay) i can guarantee they will be asking for something else very soon. It is a property in central London !!!! Not a cottage on the Isle of Skye, what exactly do they expect.

Comment

Did any previous T's complain about the noise, you could give them ear plugs to reduce the noise, but I'm sure the vibration from the road would still come through, especially if there are bus's which go past.

Double glazers are still working, if you are thinking about triple glazing or secondary glazing, is easier to put up quickly then putting in new windows. The glazers would still need to come into the property to measure up and then when the window is ready return to fit it, could be a couple of weeks lead time depending on their work load.

Did they view the property? Are you on a main road, these are all indication of living in a city and some of the pitfalls of having shops etc near by.

Comment

Just to add to the above....... i doubt very much curtains would do much anyway, for what they want they would need acoustic glazing, which is expensive and would normally need bigger frames (double or triple glazed), i know this because i have my entire house in it (for security), the outer glass is laminated and a lot thicker, so the frames instead of being 28mm are 42mm, so the cavity (for thermal) can stay correct...... i would advise you do not go down this route too much though.

Comment

Ha thanks Hudson01! Yes I think that's partly our concern, that they are potentially going to be making several requests.

Thanks Ash72 for your suggestions. No tenants have complained before, there's no shops nearby, it's on a residential cul-de-sac. The council own the freehold so we can't put new windows in. I guess secondary glazing could be a better solution than the curtains the tenants has suggested but sounds even more expensive!!

Comment

Secondary glazing can be expensive and in my opinion is not needed given the other tenants had no issues, it would be cheaper to suggest this tenant finds more suitable accommodation and you let him out of his lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
                  it would be cheaper to suggest this tenant finds more suitable accommodation and you let him out of his lease.
                  I agree - this sounds like a tenant who may just keep being a pain. I would suggest that you agree to let them go - they will either put up or shut up. If it really is a problem they will leave, if they are just being difficult they will stay.

Good luck

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X