AST notice period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST notice period

AST Fixed term ending end February. Agreement says T must give 2 months notice of either wanting a new fixed term or giving up tenancy and leaving. T said last week wanted to stay on but today has given 1 months notice to leave. AST does not state will roll onto periodic after fixed term. Can L hold T to 2 months notice as per AST? Ts last month would be on a SPT. L Willing to be flexible if new T found sooner but difficult as T reluctant for viewings due to Covid. Is 2 months notice enforceable, could L refer to DPS arbitration if necessary?

If I were you, I'd let the T leave, after all if they stop paying rent and continue to live there, you will be out of pocket more than 1 months rent.

Comment

Such X months notice requirement for a fixed term tenancy is almost certainly unenforceable.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Let T go and shred the badly worded TA

Comment

Iirc, the terms of the AST are binding on both parties, *until the AST ends.* The day after an AST ends, it is no longer binding on either party. T can just leave on the last day, possibly without even giving notice.

Comment

Okay, there's two different issues here, the tenancy and the contract between the parties.

The fixed term will end at the end of February through effluxion of time. It's a fixed term tenancy, that's the point of it. It's not possible to have a clause which prevents it from happening.

Now, if the tenant leave by the end of the tenancy, the dwelling is no longer their only or principal home, which means the tenancy is no longer assured at the moment of time it ends. It not being assured, statutory periodic tenancy pursuant to s5 of the Housing Act 1988 doesn't arise. No more tenancy, no new rent due.

Landlord can try to have a term on the tenancy agreement that requires the tenant to provide notice / give indication of the tenant's intention so long before the end of the tenancy. It's arguable whether such a term is fair under consumer laws, quite a few think not. In any event, even if the term is fair and enforceable, it's a breach of contract NOT related to failure to pay rent under a tenancy. That means the damaged party must minimise losses. I don't see much if any losses can be quantified and remains after mitigation for a damage claim under a breach of contract.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. So in essence there’s no point in putting any kind of notice requirement on a fixed term AST, even though I have always been asked for, and provided, the usual 2 months notice when I have rented. Is that correct? I have rarely seen an AST that doesn’t have this clause in it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Maintenance access home working tenants
                by cymro123
                You could do this if you blindly follow 1980s legislation but given we are in the middle of a pandemic, the risk of infection and restrictions on one person from one household entering another household you would need to consider if that is the right thing to do. In this case is the risk of infection...
                04-03-2021, 19:07 PM
              • Maintenance access home working tenants
                by Morleyman
                Wondered if anyone can clarify where I stand needing to have electrical maintenance carried out on a rental property where tenants work from home due to COVID. The electrician I am using only works weekdays but my tenants have said this work cannot take place during the week as they can’t have the...
                03-03-2021, 20:43 PM
                by cymro123
                The OP refers to 'electrical maintenance' not inspection and testing of the electrical installation
                04-03-2021, 18:55 PM
              • Reply to Floor damage in rented house - who pays?
                by Berlingogirl
                And water can travel quite a way under laminate flooring if it's laid on a solid floor....
                04-03-2021, 18:41 PM
              • Floor damage in rented house - who pays?
                by A.Renter
                Hello,

I rent a house from a landlord (generally pretty decent and helpful). I did a thorough mopping of the floor a while back, which is made up of interlocking wooden plywood slats. Unfortunately some of the water must have drained below, causing some of the slats to 'bubble' and rise...
                01-03-2021, 21:04 PM
              • Reply to Freehold Nepotism
                by AndrewDod
                - Nobody can be forced to be a director of a company (indeed some people are disqualified)
                - If you are disabled and you feel the property is not managed according to the law/lease it is better not to be a director (or even a minority shareholder)....
                04-03-2021, 18:37 PM
              • Freehold Nepotism
                by bluemonday735
                Hi there,

My block of flats has 8 shares. I have one flat and one share. the majority shareholder has 1 flat, 3 shares. She started the building limited company before I moved in, and it's just her and her ex partner on the board. The two of them always end up doing the work on the building...
                04-03-2021, 09:31 AM
                by pebblepebble
                Because I have had two solicitors now telling me I can't go onto the property to do the work without permission and as we are selling once they are formally evicted I'm not worried if it doesn't get done....
                04-03-2021, 18:16 PM
              • Reply to Unusual situation
                by Hudson01
                As said above he does sound like a guest and not a tenant, although he may well have a claim on the house via the rules governing inheritance unless the will states something different ..... which given his family position can be challenged anyway....
                04-03-2021, 18:13 PM
              • Unusual situation
                by mystic08
                The ex husband of a friend of mine has died. She is an executor of his estate and is unsure of the situation re her stepson. He receives some benefits (not housing) and has lived in the pool house (more of a shed really) rent free for the last fifteen years. It has a washbasin, a cooker and a heater....
                04-03-2021, 15:58 PM
              Working...
              X