Hsg. Ass'n. relocating tenant as house unfit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hsg. Ass'n. relocating tenant as house unfit

PLEASE HELP...... I need advice on a housing/relocation issue.

I am a tenant in a Housing Association property. I live on the ground floor, my neighbour upstairs has caused damage to my property by not having any mastic around his bath & my walls & ceilings in the kitchen, bathroom, hallway & a cupboard are full of water & are mouldy with paint bubbling & falling off. There is a nasty horrid damp smell in my flat. The Housing Association's insurance company are carrying out the works on my property however for the duration of the works I have to be relocated. The Housing Association have found temporary accommodation for me. This accommodation has no carpets!!

I wish to know what my rights, are as they feel I should be "grateful" that they have found me somewhere to move to for a couple of months. They are arranging for removals to move my belongings then move them back but I have to arrange to move my phone line, sky tv, broadband etc myself then have it all moved back!!!! Alot of hassle considering the damage was out of my control!

I have a 10 year old disabled daughter who has mild asthma, I also have asthma. I don't really want to live in a property without carpets as my daughter has physical disabilities and falls about 20 times a day.

Moving from my property into temporary accommodation is an inconvenience to me and not due to any fault of my own and i feel the housing association should provide suitable accommodation or move us permanently.

What are my rights in this matter.

They are doing what they are supposed to do, ie move you temporarily and correcting the damage. They don't have to move you elsewhere permanently.

Who provided the carpets in your original flat? Maybe you should look at getting your daughter padded headgear to cope with the floors.

If you owned your own home, what would you be doing to rectify the damage? I bet you wouldn't be moving out elsewhere.
    The damage appears to be pretty minor to me.

I thought carpets and asthma didn't go together?

Comment

I was going to say the housing association are demonstrating their responsibility to re-house you either temporarily or permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
        They are doing what they are supposed to do, ie move you temporarily and correcting the damage. They don't have to move you elsewhere permanently...

The damage appears to be pretty minor to me.
        It can't be so minor; insurers are paying out, and they don't usually do that unless it's serious!
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          It can't be so minor; insurers are paying out, and they don't usually do that unless it's serious!
          Of course they do!
          Insurers pay out on many so called minor claims every day.

I think the H.A are doing what they should, is the real problem a lack of carpets? I doubt it! But if it is, then just chuck down some cheap rugs for now.

Comment

If there were a problem with mastic round a bath etc you would see the damage straight away so how could it get so bad, unless Moby Dick was in the tub!

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
              If there were a problem with mastic round a bath etc you would see the damage straight away so how could it get so bad, unless Moby Dick was in the tub!
              Ask the charming Mrs Wilson...

Comment

I had to advise a tenant once who had let their bath overflow 8 times causing considerable damage to the flat below. Tenants (apart from Mrs Wilson obviously) do the strangest things. Hrm actually maybe that could be a new TV show.

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

I've had damage caused to my flats and had my flats cause damage to others where water has overflowed, usually catastrophic leaks are not so bad as the insidious drip drip drip of water getting behind silicone seals or tiles.

Comment

It wasnt the occasional drip drip drip, the guy was having showers every day.

Its not minor damage to my walls & ceilings & to top it off my daughter has now been put back on her inhaler by the doctor as her chest is bad again caused by damp in my home!

Its not just about having no carpets at all, its about having to carry on paying my rent on my property while they put us in another property that isnt suitable!

Theres no issue anymore anyway as we're moving so thanks for all your comments....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X