Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residential Landlord Survey - Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Tom Alves, I am currently studying construction management at Anglia Ruskin University. As part of my final year of university I have to undertake a research project. I have chosen to do mine on the new Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards, and the updates to these standards that may be coming in to force in 2021. As part of my research, I would like to gain landlord's perspectives on the updates to standards that are currently under consultation, and how they might affect the viability of letting properties.

If there are any residential landlords that see this post and have approximately 5-10 minutes to spare, I would really appreciate if you could take part in my survey. I have posted a link to it below. I would like to make you aware that all answers that you provide are completely anonymised and no personal data will be taken when you take part. For more information on the research, your data and other aspects of the study, please refer to the Participant Information Sheet attached to the document.

Many thanks in advance.

The survey:

https://angliaruskin.onlinesurveys.a...ntial-landlo-3

Participant Information Sheet:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The survey misses out two critical questions.

Is it possible to make the changes necessary to reach the new required standard and what will you do instead.
    Some of my properties would have to be essentially rebuilt to reach the required standard of C in 2028 and will have to be sold instead - there is no possible business case for carrying out the work.

Some of my properties are semi-detached and in terraces.
    It will not be possible to rebuild them even if I was able to afford it.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It also fails to address the fact that accessing the Govts help scheme is nigh on impossible!

However, anything that helps to convince the Govt that this policy is going to have a huge impact on the rental market - ie LLs bailing out resulting in fewer properties to rent, increased levels of rent & large numbers of homeless tenants - has to be helpful. Tom - please ensure your project reaches as many policy / decision makers as possible - they are not listening!

Another opportunity to post my petition here - please sign if you can and circulate to anyone else who will:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/559700

Comment

jpkeates Thank you very much for doing my survey and taking the time to post. I completely agree, you're right I should have added that in, I have now updated the survey to include your points. Unfortunately it means that the responses have now been reset. I don't expect you to do the survey again, but if you do have another minute it would be much appreciated.
        jpucng62 Same to you, thank you very much for completing the survey. I completely agree with your comments and it is something I have actually identified through my literature review. I'm not sure how many people my dissertation will reach, but maybe it will have some sort of effect. I have signed your petition, if you have a minute to redo the survey that would be fantastic. If not, no worries. Thank you for completing it the first time round

Comment

I will complete the survey, and i am pleased you have added the valid point mentioned above, for me though, i do not see any chance the govt will listen, my reason is simple ...... we have over 100,000 deaths today from Covid, the govt were told a year ago what they need to do, they did not, i cannot see how this subject will peak their interest, especially coming from landlords !!!!

I have come to the sad conclusion that in 2026/27 i will sell all my properties and require my excellent and long standing tenants to move out, they are in their later years and i know it will be devastating for them.

Comment

Hudson01 Thank you for completing the survey, and I am sorry to hear that your business will no longer be viable as a result of the new regulations. Lets hope that the government come up with a better plan to help landlords before we reach 2026/27

Comment

I just completed the survey using the link in post #1 and it didn't include the extra questions. I think you should have also considered some of the particular issues for leasehold properties where the freehold and/or other leaseholders are uncooperative, (eg cavity wall insulation, cladding, loft insulation etc)

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                I just completed the survey using the link in post #1 and it didn't include the extra questions. I think you should have also considered some of the particular issues for leasehold properties where the freehold and/or other leaseholders are uncooperative, (eg cavity wall insulation, cladding, loft insulation etc)
                That is an excellent point..... i have this issue and there is no way i could have solar panels, exterior insulation etc, not a hope, so already my options are limited, i only own the inside of the building so have zero control over the outside.

Comment

It's just a bit of a joke.
                  My own home is a converted farmhouse.
                  There's no mains gas, so it has a kerosene boiler.
                  Never be able to get it to a C.

Half of my portfolio is D and, having had a look at what would be needed, only one of them could be brought up to C.
                  The rest are connected to other properties which would be substantially affected by my replacing roofs and walls!
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

So here is the answer: Green electricity subsidised by the Govt

We can produce carbon free electricity via wind / solar / nuclear (bizarre that nuclear is considered green but there you are). Unfortunately, in the EPC assessment the cost of heating is a factor (Govt trying to stop people falling into Fuel Poverty), so electric heating is marked down in favour of GCH (which is bad for the environment). The govt is trying to achieve 2 diametrically opposed goals - cheap fuel & green fuel.

My solution: We fit electric radiators instead of gas boilers and the Govt subsidises the cost of the electricity. We all use Green Electricity and the Govt picks up the tab - problem solved.

Seriously - people can only worry about green issues when they are comfortably off - we all know it costs more to be vegetarian / vegan / plastic free / environmentally friendly - so countries like India & China will not go green because of the cost. We can pretty easily go green with green electricity but the Govt doesn't like the cost being passed to the consumer (bad for votes). Heat pumps are being toted as the answer but they are unsuitable for much of our housing stock and expensive to install. So let's go for modern electric heaters and subsidised green electricity. Choose a green tariff and pay less for your electricity. Its good for the environment and a vote winner!

Comment

Thank you everyone for helping me out on my survey. If there is anyone else that is viewing my comment now and you have not completed my survey it would be great if you could spare 5 - 10 minutes to take part. It would really help me out.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                        One of mine has cavity insulation. I found it when I installed an extractor fan. I have no way of proving it though, short of drilling a hole when the inspector calls. (She'd probably say that I'd only installed it where I knew I would be drilling.)

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

One of mine has cavity insulation. I found it when I installed an extractor fan. I have no way of proving it though, short of drilling a hole when the inspector calls. (She'd probably say that I'd only installed it where I knew I would be drilling.)
                          This is exactly the sort of problem that needs a solution if we are to be compelled to increase the ratings of our properties. It shows that the algorithm is flawed so asking us to measure up to it is unfair.

If you haven’t already, please sign my petition asking for an overhaul of the EPC calculation:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/559700

Comment

I've filled in the survey. My issues are not to do with money, but to do with being a leaseholder with a freeholder who is very difficult to deal with. I've already done all I can to my flat to make it more energy efficient. It's a D rating. Anything else needs the buy in on the freeholder and that's highly unlikely when I can't even get rotten windows replaced or leaking roofs fixed.

Comment

I am in a similar situation to ' bethy ' above, i have zero control of the outside of the building and cannot get beyond a D without the likes of a heat pump (totally impractical and expensive) or outside cladding etc...... again totally out of the question for the freeholder...... there will be many tenants in the near future given notice to leave that a lot of landlords do not wish to do...... tragic.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change of Landlord
                                by areynolds
                                Hi all, I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I share ownership of a property with my brother 50/50. My name is on the tenancy agreement and I have managed the property for the past 5 years. I am now transferring management of the property to my brother, how can I officially notify...
                                08-03-2021, 22:05 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in
                                by ash72
                                Don't do anything, when it due to end either increase rent or serve notice.
                                08-03-2021, 21:33 PM
                              • Tenant has moved partner in
                                by Confusedlandlord1
                                Hi
                                We have a new tenant (has only been in the property a month) who applied as a single person and the contract is in their name only. We have now found out they plan to have their partner move in. please can anyone advise what is best for us to do? Does it need to be a whole new contract or can...
                                08-03-2021, 19:51 PM
                              • Reply to County court bailiffs
                                by Perce
                                Is it possible that even though I have a county court warrant that the government will not lift the ban on evictions for S21 PO after the lockdown is over ?...
                                08-03-2021, 18:10 PM
                              • County court bailiffs
                                by Perce
                                Hello All

What county court bailiffs do if they come to evict and the tenants say they are not feeling well?...
                                24-02-2021, 13:42 PM
                                by Display name
                                I didn't, but since the tenant hasn't engaged at any stage, including attending hearings, complying with orders, responding to texts, emails and letters, I think it's a good claim. He wouldn't even respond to requests to allow access to the Gassafe plumber for safety checks. The guidance says that...
                                08-03-2021, 17:20 PM
                              • Reply to Newbie Alert!
                                by Peter20
                                Thanks for your reply

I'm glad you mentioned this, I noticed some of the extremely cheap houses seem to offer the best yield, but I thought to myself "I would not want to live in that area". I like the idea of going slightly above average to try and avoid areas that...
                                08-03-2021, 17:17 PM
                              • Newbie Alert!
                                by Peter20
                                Hi all,

First post here. I have been reading for a while but thought I'd make a post. I am looking to get into property investing as I sold my business a while ago and have a considerable sum to invest. My main objectives for investing are long term inflation protection and a couple...
                                08-03-2021, 11:17 AM
                              • Reply to Newbie Alert!
                                by Peter20
                                Thanks for your reply theartfullodger

I have rung up about a few houses for sale that have tenants in place. Also, I have checked recent sold prices of houses that appear to need minimal work doing to make them ready to rent, though admittedly you can only see so much from pictures...
                                08-03-2021, 17:14 PM
                                by Perce
                                Display name - did you do a pre action letter ?
                                08-03-2021, 16:47 PM
                              Working...
                              X