Tenant has been using electricity and gas in my name (LL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant has been using electricity and gas in my name (LL)

Dear All

Have just had a statement sent to me in my name for Gas and Electric. It looks like the tenant has been placed on a prepayment plan and has been using my name for two years.
    This tenant is a nightmare and we have already had to attempt a section 21 but she managed to stop this using a housing organisation.
    Is it complete fraud and can we do anything about it or will a housing organisation 'support her'

Aiming to get her out as soon as Covid is done but she is currently not answering our contact regarding a gas visit to get the checks done.

Thanks all

Did you notify the company of meter readings and tenant details when tenant moved in? If so, I don't see how they can continue to bill you.

Comment

Hi,
      The property is owned by my partner and his ex. the ex says she did. I suspect the tenant is pretending to be my partner's ex!

We have been trying to get hold of the utility company for some time. We shall persevere!

Comment

They most likely want a copy of the tenancy agreement when it started, You should check council tax and water company in case these have also been put in your name.

Comment

Ive had it whence a tenant used my name to order goods from a catalogue , came up on my credit score -

Check your credit scored and ensure your name is no longer on the voting list

Comment

Thanks alice123 we checked the credit score and there is nothing on there which is untoward..really strange as the tenant is obviously in arrears with the electricity and gas.
            I suspect they may have had a meter installed in the property without informing us too.

Comment

I had a tenant do the same thing to me with the electric bill. When the tenancy ended I took the readings, and informed the supplier. I got a huge bill. I told the supplier what had happened and that I would only pay my share which I calculated and paid. I can't remember if I showed the tenancy agreement, it was a long time ago, but I never heard anything from the supplier.

edit: I wonder if the tenant could only order goods if your name and address are registered at the property?

Comment

Given how sneaky and inherently dishonest this tenant is i would also ensure that your correspondence address at the Land Registry is not the same as the rented property !!! Make sure it is your actual home address, if not then there is a danger a tenant can sell your house from under you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
                  Make sure it is your actual home address, if not then there is a danger a tenant can sell your house from under you.
                  Landlords should probably always use an RQ form and register a restriction by owners not living at the property with the Land Registry.

This creates an additional requirement for a conveyancer to take additional steps to verify the seller's identity and certify that they have done so.

It adds an extra step when mortgaging or remortgaging, but would get in the way of a tenant trying to sell a landlord's property.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Interesting..... i have never heard of that form, i will give it a Google !!!

Comment

Originally posted by HLGGG View Post
                      Thanks alice123 we checked the credit score and there is nothing on there which is untoward..really strange as the tenant is obviously in arrears with the electricity and gas.
                      I suspect they may have had a meter installed in the property without informing us too.
                      I dont think gas and electric would come up on credit rating but there may have been other stuff

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X