Can a landlord physically repair appliances or should it be a qualified tradesperson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a landlord physically repair appliances or should it be a qualified tradesperson?

Hi,
    this is my first post so I hope it is in the right one :-)

I was wondering whether I am allowed as the landlord to actually repair appliances or if this has to be done by a tradesperson? The appliance is an integral oven and it is a heating element that needs replacing. The part is £10 and is a 5 minute job to do (7 screws and some push fit electrical connectors). I have been quoted £90 for the repair which feels a bit over the top.

I was wondering how this impacts on electrical safety as it is a replaceable part? Especially since we now have to have electrical checks routinely done. If I am not installing an appliance or touching any of the hard wiring am I allowed to do it?

I hoped I could get other peoples thoughts before I speak to the letting agents tomorrow. They keep pushing me to their repair people who are a complete rip off.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jonathan

Unless it's a hugely expensive oven I'd swap it for a new one myself (£150) and then repair the old one, test it and sell it or keep as spare.

Comment

A competent person can do electrical repairs. Heating elements aren't difficult to replace.

Comment

The agent will have a 'mark up' on the repair for themselves, that's why 'their guy' is expensive. I spoke to a plumber once who said that a letting agent had asked them to add 20% to their invoices for the agent's cut.

Shop around, you will probably get it cheaper. I had an element replaced for £68 (parts and labour). In my opinion, it's worth paying someone to do it - you will then transfer the liability for the standard (and safety) of the work to someone else.

Comment

Thanks for the replies . I will call the letting agents now and get a quote from them. Unless it is cheaper than the £90 I have been quoted elsewhere I think I will be getting my screwdriver out.

Comment

You don't need to use the agent's trades person, you can find your own. I just had tenanted oven fixed, cost me £107, which included a £50 diagnosis and £57 part, which was the main heating element. I don't bother doing it myself, as you get a you get 6 months warranty, plus you can expense it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X