What happens when furlough ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when furlough ends?

A worrying thought has occurred to me tonight. If furlough ends on 30th April, as I believe it's meant to, are we going to find loads more tenants unable to pay their rent?

I know one of mine is a taxi driver, and I'm amazed he's managed to come up with the rent so far.

Any thoughts?

I would rather attempt to predict next weeks lottery numbers........ but as a best guess you could be right, i suspect that by Easter the lockdown will be eased and the vaccine would have been rolled out enough to lower the cases in hospital.

Comment

It will be extended again under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
        It will be extended again under pressure.
        Okay, but presumably this can't go on forever? At some point, businesses will have to acknowledge that they are bankrupt, and sack all their employees. They will then be on housing benefit, which is only about 75% of market rent.

Comment

Your taxi driver will always pay the rent judging by the type of person he is so you should not worry. He will find work if furlough stops in the future. In my area no businesses went bankrupt.

Comment

Taxi drivers are still quite busy , people going shopping, doctors appts, hospital, work. My village just looks the same as normal its as busy as ever and so are the roads, only the pubs /cafes and hairdressers are closed along with the gym . The ones who are working from home and those who are furloughed are getting work done on their houses, again creating more 'work' for joiners./painters/electricians/ my joiner has said hes never been so busy and is fully booked until March -

As long as we can put food on the table and have our good health i wouldnt worry about this at the moment -
            my friends husband is furloughed but the wife as so much overtime -

Comment

I think may people have adjusted and take up new roles as courier drivers, or delivery drivers especially if they have their own vehicles. Within the gig economy has helped a lot of people in these difficult times.

Comment

I think the biggest difficulty with the current scheme will be getting the people back to normal working hours !!! I have spoken with a number of people who have take 'like a duck to water' the semi retired life they now inhabit, on pretty much full pay...... getting them off this could be tricky.

Comment

The breathing space legislation is meant to kick in 4 days after the furlough scheme ends. Not unconnected I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                    The breathing space legislation is meant to kick in 4 days after the furlough scheme ends. Not unconnected I would think.
                    This song was my dad's party piece.

Comment

Furlough has been too generous ....

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                        Furlough has been too generous ....
                        I can see that point of view, my concern is the length of it and how people can easily become comfortable in getting paid very well for doing nothing at all, then getting back to work. My job has meant i have worked throughout the pandemic and in fact have been even more busy than normal, i have talked with many employees who have complained to their employers because they have NOT been furloughed when friends of theirs have been !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

I can see that point of view, my concern is the length of it and how people can easily become comfortable in getting paid very well for doing nothing at all, then getting back to work. !!!!

a bit like lots of UK benefits

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post

a bit like lots of UK benefits
                            Except generally UK benefits are dire in comparison to the furlough scheme.

Comment

Yup, Saw a report a couple of days ago that UK benefits are pretty much the lowest of all first world countries.

I do feel that the workers out there, although comfortable now, will go back and work as they always have done when the opportunity to do so comes back. They know that this is only a temporary thing.

As for Furlough, it was absolutely necessary at the amounts given. I feel that anything less would have had dire circumstances for the entire countries economy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inventory done without giving me advance notice - discrepancies found
                                by jpucng62
                                I would write the discrepancies on the inventory and then sign it and return it. Keep a copy for when you move out.
                                23-04-2021, 13:22 PM
                              • Inventory done without giving me advance notice - discrepancies found
                                by forest777
                                Dear all,

I picked up keys to a property on Monday 19th April and given the inventory which was done on Friday 16th April. The inventory was done without telling me when it was going to happen - that is when I asked the LA about it, he merely told me that it was already done. The TA began...
                                22-04-2021, 21:50 PM
                              • Reply to Rent arrears
                                by Berlingogirl
                                Have you still got a contact number for them? Text them immediately asking for a forwarding address saying you need to write to them about the outstanding arrears. Do this before he changes his number. If he doesn't reply ask again saying you will write to him at his last known address (that'll probably...
                                23-04-2021, 13:15 PM
                              • Rent arrears
                                by MP31
                                Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
                                To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
                                21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
                              • Reply to Rent arrears
                                by Movieman
                                can anyone recommend a no fee no find service to find tenants, my tenant owes me about £5k and I'm considering going after him or at least have the satisfaction of registering CCJ against him and his wife.

He is so dumb though that he will spend more money trying to avoid the debt than...
                                23-04-2021, 12:55 PM
                              • Reply to Can I take previous tenants furniture?
                                by theartfullodger
                                Politely decline and firmly require it to be removed. Keep evidence of those requests and photos of sofa in case of any police involvement
                                23-04-2021, 12:50 PM
                              • Can I take previous tenants furniture?
                                by JohnMM96
                                The landlord asked if we wanted the sofa removed since it wasn't advertised as being part of the flat since it belonged to the previous tenant. We said we would keep it. The tenant moved out a year ago so there is zero expectation of him reclaiming the sofa. He left it because he didn't want it. We...
                                23-04-2021, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Can I take previous tenants furniture?
                                by JohnMM96
                                We have an email that asks if we want to keep the sofa. I will try and find it now since the wording is important....
                                23-04-2021, 12:03 PM
                              • Reply to Eviction advice
                                by ba_baracuss
                                The delay because I don't know what's going on. The tenant has been all over the place for a while due to family issues etc, and so it's possible that she has had some kind of breakdown or something and may not even be at the address. I'd imagine she could get council help for the rent. If I go the...
                                23-04-2021, 11:55 AM
                              • Eviction advice
                                by ba_baracuss
                                Hi, I have a tenant who is now several months in arrears. She has changed her phone number and does not answer the door. I've sent an informal letter asking her to get in touch, which has been ignored. She's been pretty flaky for a while and it seems like she's decided to stick her head in the sand...
                                12-04-2021, 15:16 PM
                              Working...
                              X