What happens when furlough ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when furlough ends?

A worrying thought has occurred to me tonight. If furlough ends on 30th April, as I believe it's meant to, are we going to find loads more tenants unable to pay their rent?

I know one of mine is a taxi driver, and I'm amazed he's managed to come up with the rent so far.

Any thoughts?

I would rather attempt to predict next weeks lottery numbers........ but as a best guess you could be right, i suspect that by Easter the lockdown will be eased and the vaccine would have been rolled out enough to lower the cases in hospital.

Comment

It will be extended again under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
        It will be extended again under pressure.
        Okay, but presumably this can't go on forever? At some point, businesses will have to acknowledge that they are bankrupt, and sack all their employees. They will then be on housing benefit, which is only about 75% of market rent.

Comment

Your taxi driver will always pay the rent judging by the type of person he is so you should not worry. He will find work if furlough stops in the future. In my area no businesses went bankrupt.

Comment

Taxi drivers are still quite busy , people going shopping, doctors appts, hospital, work. My village just looks the same as normal its as busy as ever and so are the roads, only the pubs /cafes and hairdressers are closed along with the gym . The ones who are working from home and those who are furloughed are getting work done on their houses, again creating more 'work' for joiners./painters/electricians/ my joiner has said hes never been so busy and is fully booked until March -

As long as we can put food on the table and have our good health i wouldnt worry about this at the moment -
            my friends husband is furloughed but the wife as so much overtime -

Comment

I think may people have adjusted and take up new roles as courier drivers, or delivery drivers especially if they have their own vehicles. Within the gig economy has helped a lot of people in these difficult times.

Comment

I think the biggest difficulty with the current scheme will be getting the people back to normal working hours !!! I have spoken with a number of people who have take 'like a duck to water' the semi retired life they now inhabit, on pretty much full pay...... getting them off this could be tricky.

Comment

The breathing space legislation is meant to kick in 4 days after the furlough scheme ends. Not unconnected I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                    The breathing space legislation is meant to kick in 4 days after the furlough scheme ends. Not unconnected I would think.
                    This song was my dad's party piece.

Comment

Furlough has been too generous ....

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                        Furlough has been too generous ....
                        I can see that point of view, my concern is the length of it and how people can easily become comfortable in getting paid very well for doing nothing at all, then getting back to work. My job has meant i have worked throughout the pandemic and in fact have been even more busy than normal, i have talked with many employees who have complained to their employers because they have NOT been furloughed when friends of theirs have been !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

I can see that point of view, my concern is the length of it and how people can easily become comfortable in getting paid very well for doing nothing at all, then getting back to work. !!!!

a bit like lots of UK benefits

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post

a bit like lots of UK benefits
                            Except generally UK benefits are dire in comparison to the furlough scheme.

Comment

Yup, Saw a report a couple of days ago that UK benefits are pretty much the lowest of all first world countries.

I do feel that the workers out there, although comfortable now, will go back and work as they always have done when the opportunity to do so comes back. They know that this is only a temporary thing.

As for Furlough, it was absolutely necessary at the amounts given. I feel that anything less would have had dire circumstances for the entire countries economy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Reference payment
                                by Jon66
                                To be honest, I don't have enough to do do at the moment . . . decorating room no 4 just to keep busy šŸ¤£...
                                03-03-2021, 23:58 PM
                              • Reference payment
                                by jase222
                                Hi,
                                I have a tenant who's leaving shortly and a letting agent sent through letter asking for a reference for the tenant, in the letter there was also 4 pages of questions about 120 to be precise.

I know it will take best part of a hour as quite a few are detailed and require looking...
                                03-03-2021, 10:49 AM
                              • Reply to Legal question
                                by mind the gap
                                Oh, I agree the police would be the route to go down assuming the coercive behaviour could be proven. Their concern at this stage is to try to stop it happening in the first place by sending clear signals to the daughter that there is no point even trying to get any more money from their father as ways...
                                03-03-2021, 22:49 PM
                              • Legal question
                                by mind the gap
                                Hi all, hope you're keeping safe.

Not sure which forum to put this in - happy for Moderator to move if appropriate.

Scenario is as follows. In 2018, elderly widower changes the will he made jointly with wife in 1980s. He does it all properly, using a solicitor and include...
                                01-03-2021, 13:01 PM
                              • Reply to Maintenance access home working tenants
                                by Neelix
                                I would find another spark ..... I occasionally work on Saturdays for key customers, then take a day off during the week

being self employed sometimes means being flexible
                                03-03-2021, 22:26 PM
                              • Maintenance access home working tenants
                                by Morleyman
                                Wondered if anyone can clarify where I stand needing to have electrical maintenance carried out on a rental property where tenants work from home due to COVID. The electrician I am using only works weekdays but my tenants have said this work cannot take place during the week as they canā€™t have the...
                                03-03-2021, 20:43 PM
                              • Reply to Maintenance access home working tenants
                                by boletus
                                Would a reasonable tenant in good health do the little job of allowing access during normal working hours for a non essential EICR during a covid lockdown?

Maybe.

Personally, I'm not asking my tenants or electrician to risk it, even though I'm sure they would if I asked....
                                03-03-2021, 21:53 PM
                              • Reply to New tenant credit check
                                by theartfullodger
                                Suggest landlord check service which will include reference and credit check. I've seen them as cheap as Ā£5 with SaL from Vouch (this is not a recommendation or a criticism, see forum rules). Or many, many, other such services.

Bank statements can be very revealing. Read carefully, especially...
                                03-03-2021, 21:19 PM
                              • New tenant credit check
                                by Wumingshi1
                                Hello,
                                I wonder if anyone could recommend a credit check service please?
                                I have seen a few posts recommend openrent but just wondering if that's what everyone is using?

Thank you.
                                02-03-2021, 15:44 PM
                              • Reply to Reference payment
                                by boletus
                                How do they retract leaving and how do they stop you going for CCJ/guarantor's house/assets/attachment of earnings etc?...
                                03-03-2021, 21:09 PM
                              Working...
                              X