Washing machine meter legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a £1 wash and £1 dry coin operated machine but the tenants have bypassed the payment. This has been going on for maybe 6 months or so. I have now discovered that they were unplugging the machines and running an extension lead from inside the house, out through a window to connect the washing machine (which is an an outbuilding) directly to a free electricity source.
    Any thoughts on the legality of this?

Comment

If they're stealing electricity, that's illegal.
      If they're using their own electricity and by-passing your meters, it would depend on what your agreement with them says on the matter, it might put them in breach of their contract, but it's unlikely to be illegal in itself.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by bobdog View Post
        I have a £1 wash and £1 dry coin operated machine but the tenants have bypassed the payment. This has been going on for maybe 6 months or so. I have now discovered that they were unplugging the machines and running an extension lead from inside the house, out through a window to connect the washing machine (which is an an outbuilding) directly to a free electricity source.
        Any thoughts on the legality of this?
        HaHa - I had already planned for that.

My power sockets are behind a locked cupboard so they can only access the coin meters.

I also put the communal wifi router power socket in a locked cupboard - otherwise, they could add an adapter socket to the router mains and run an extension cable to their studio flat to run electric heaters all day/night.

My tenants have all been there for more than a year each and are more than happy knowing they pay cost price for electric heating via coin meters and have the convenience of a communal "laundry" for less than the prices charged at the laundrette 500 yards away.
        My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X