Check Out Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Out Day

Following on from my other posting earlier, do I have to do a 'check out' on the day the tenants vacate my property?

I live over 100 miles away from the property and won't be able to get down to do an inspection until the weekend. The tenants are supposed to be vacating today. I say 'suppose' as I have been trying to get them out since Nov 07 - using the S21 and numerous conversations with the local council to get them re-homed.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Originally posted by Bandley34 View Post
    Following on from my other posting earlier, do I have to do a 'check out' on the day the tenants vacate my property?
    Don't think you can be forced to; but the issues you might face are (a) your tenants jumping up and down wanting their deposit back and (b) "the damage must have occurred after we left".

Assuming they've left, maybe you can ask to meet them at the property to hand over the keys at the weekend (ie, don't enter until they have done that)?

Comment

I have a check out day looming, would people advise me to ask tenant to meet me at the property at a certain time or ask them to drop keys off to either me or the agent?, the AST states that the property should be vacated by 12 noon, personally I think tenant will be obstructive which is why I haven't made arrangements yet (but only 10 days to go now !)

Comment

Originally posted by porridge View Post
        I have a check out day looming, would people advise me to ask tenant to meet me at the property at a certain time or ask them to drop keys off to either me or the agent?, the AST states that the property should be vacated by 12 noon, personally I think tenant will be obstructive which is why I haven't made arrangements yet (but only 10 days to go now !)
        If you attend the property to collect the keys and complete the checkout at the same time you can take photo's of any damage, that way it will be hard for the tenants to query any deductions from the deposit at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
          If you attend the property to collect the keys and complete the checkout at the same time you can take photo's of any damage, that way it will be hard for the tenants to query any deductions from the deposit at a later date.

mmmmmmmmmmm totally agree, but I have a very awkward tenant, so do you think this would cover all bases?

Should I let the tenant know that keys should be returned before 12 noon on departure day or handed to me in person at 12 noon, at which time I shall carry out a check out on the condition of the property and metre readings

please feel free to rephrase all of that or suggest alternatives

Comment

I think where possible it is always worth paying for an inventory as the person is totally independent and saves all the emotional hassle between two warring parties. I have just got rid of my rubbish and what joy that was. She (and her hundreds of associates who were dossing there), cleared the flat on Sat but refused to hand back keys. She cleaned (!) flat on Sunday only cause she was worried about money being deducted from her (healthy)deposit. (probably screwed from last landlord). She drove me mad all weekend to go round and sign that everything was in order and then she would return her keys. I refused and said that the check out be done officially as re the contract and it was not my job!! I told her every day that she hung on to keys she would be charged pro rata. if she gave me back the keys the inventory would still be done but she wouldn`t be charged rent from the day of handing back the keys. She was going mad. Eventually on Tues the clerk went round. I was a few minutes late. I found the inventory clerk, the locksmith (there at my request) and the neighbour sitting on the wall!! She had told them all to f..off and they were not getting into HER flat!! Love it!! I went in with my keys, called the police. They told her she had to let the clerk in and do her job. She was screaming at the clerk telling her that I had bashed the holes in the walls, broken down the bathrom door etc!! (yeah - of course I did! Of course it wasn`t a combination of her and her mates and the Immigration when they raided the flat!!!). Police threw her outside, clerk worked in peace, tenant forced to hand keys over and now screaming for her deposit.

Also she left so much rubbish stewn outside that the binmen could not get to the other residents bins and refused to empty them. She told residents to f.. off and she didn`t live there any more. One text from me "Are you removing rubbish or shall I employ someone on your behalf to do it? Please advise" result - rubbish now being cleared by her!

Sorry - just sharing a jubilant moment! Back to original point - getting official inventory done in my view is worth it.

Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by rachel230 View Post
              I think where possible it is always worth paying for an inventory as the person is totally independent and saves all the emotional hassle between two warring parties. I have just got rid of my rubbish and what joy that was. She (and her hundreds of associates who were dossing there), cleared the flat on Sat but refused to hand back keys. She cleaned (!) flat on Sunday only cause she was worried about money being deducted from her (healthy)deposit. (probably screwed from last landlord). She drove me mad all weekend to go round and sign that everything was in order and then she would return her keys. I refused and said that the check out be done officially as re the contract and it was not my job!! I told her every day that she hung on to keys she would be charged pro rata. if she gave me back the keys the inventory would still be done but she wouldn`t be charged rent from the day of handing back the keys. She was going mad. Eventually on Tues the clerk went round. I was a few minutes late. I found the inventory clerk, the locksmith (there at my request) and the neighbour sitting on the wall!! She had told them all to f..off and they were not getting into HER flat!! Love it!! I went in with my keys, called the police. They told her she had to let the clerk in and do her job. She was screaming at the clerk telling her that I had bashed the holes in the walls, broken down the bathrom door etc!! (yeah - of course I did! Of course it wasn`t a combination of her and her mates and the Immigration when they raided the flat!!!). Police threw her outside, clerk worked in peace, tenant forced to hand keys over and now screaming for her deposit.

Also she left so much rubbish stewn outside that the binmen could not get to the other residents bins and refused to empty them. She told residents to f.. off and she didn`t live there any more. One text from me "Are you removing rubbish or shall I employ someone on your behalf to do it? Please advise" result - rubbish now being cleared by her!

Sorry - just sharing a jubilant moment! Back to original point - getting official inventory done in my view is worth it.

Rachel
              Very interesting read !- Thank you

Where/who would I get to do an impartial check out inventory ?, or would it be done by the letting agent?.

Comment

In rachel230's post, had the tenant surrendered the tenancy, or were they illegally evicted by the police? Especially as she was still being charged rent pro rata.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                  Don't think you can be forced to; but the issues you might face are (a) your tenants jumping up and down wanting their deposit back and (b) "the damage must have occurred after we left".

Assuming they've left, maybe you can ask to meet them at the property to hand over the keys at the weekend (ie, don't enter until they have done that)?
                  Thank you for your response. Seems like I've opened a can of worms here! An update...
                  My tenants have also been the tenants from hell and have made it impossible for me to try and sell it whilst they were still in there. Anyway, they are out now (moved out yesterday).
                  I took the day off work today to check over the property (I took over 80photos) and have also changed all the locks (they still have their keys).
                  The house was absolutley disgusting, 40+ rubbish bags piled in the garden, grass never cut, weeds 2ft tall, carpet stained to an extent that the original colour is hard to recognise, fridge never been cleaned and old food left in there....the list goes on. The ex tenants are wondering why I have told them they've left it in a disgusting mess!! I have now instructed a professional company to do a check-out tomorrow and have suggested to the ex tenants that they should be there. They haven't responded.

I will now have to take two more days off work at least to get it back to a state good enough to put back on the market. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Did you ever inspect it during the term (even if only externally- "grass never cut")?
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      Did you ever inspect it during the term (even if only externally- "grass never cut")?
                      Only once as they always made it awkward to get in to the house giving excuses after excuses. When I checked it about 3 months ago, it was long but I assumed they would cut it before they left...

Comment

Assumption - the mother of all screw ups!

I undertook maintenance at one of my let properties. Whilst there I observed that the toilet had a significant amount of ugly brown limescale in the toilet bowl - that was not present when they took occupation. I wrote a firm but fair letter to my tenant pointing out the problem and how to resolve it. There was no way I would leave to chance that they might tackle the limescale. I must add, that in every other respect this tenant was a good tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                          Assumption - the mother of all screw ups!
                          I had a professional check in inventory done when they moved in and it's clear in black and white what condition the house and garden was in.
                          They signed and agreed all it's contents

Comment

Good. So T is responsible for all rectification EXCEPT fair wear and tear.
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                              Good. So T is responsible for all rectification EXCEPT fair wear and tear.
                              Absolutely....although this is far worse than fair wear and tear! Thanks for your interest

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X