Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord sacks letting agent during eviction process

Hi

I have had a nightmare neighbour issue for a long time and engaged with the letting agent to resolve this. The letting agent served both a section 21 and section 8 due to anti-social behabiour and rent arrears respectively, but the hearing was put on hold due to the pandemic. The hearing eventually took place and the tenant was told to be out by 23rd Dec 20. They didn't leave and so the Letting Agent pursued it further for a referral to the bailiffs. Unfortunately the owner of the property has become dissatisfied with the length of time it has all taken and has sacked the letting agent this week.

My question that I need advice on is - if the Letting Agent was pursuing the eviction on behalf of the owner can the owner just take over the court proceedings or will they have to start from scratch? I am worried that if they have to start from scratch the rules have obviously changed re Section 21s and Section 8s regarding notice periods etc and we will be stuck with this neighbour for a long time when we thought we only had a few more weeks until they were evicted.

Grateful for any advice.

A letting agent is not allowed to represent a landlord in court anyway, so it would always have to be the landlords case. Who are you in the scenario?

Comment

I am the poor neighbour waiting for the nightmare tenant to be evicted.

Comment

I take it you do not have the LL's details so you can ask him or her directly ? It would seem very odd indeed if they took the chance of letting a non paying nightmare tenant stay longer than they should be.

Comment

The LL is an elderly lady who lives in Majorca and it turns out she is unaware of it going through the court and her relationship with the letting agent has broken down. I think I need to get back in touch with the letting agent and try to get her to re-engage with the LL to at least pass on the details of the court process so she can contact the court herself.

Comment

The landlord sacking the letting agent doesn't change the legal situation, so the issue can still be passed to bailiffs (assuming a court made a possession order).
            The landlord would either have to have attended court if there was a review or appointed a solicitor,
            If there was no court review (so the notice was s21 and the tenant didn't offer a defence) everyone was very lucky.

I can't see what incentive the agent has for re-engaging with the landlord (who sounds stupid to sack them).
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Is the landlord being unreasonable in her expectations of how long it takes to evict someone at the moment? It has taken me three months waiting for the review date. Goodness knows how much longer it's going to take to get the people living there out (S8 now 10 months rent owing). I know they will wait for bailiffs.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The landlord sacked the letting agent as it turned out they hadn't done what they said they had. The landlord has engaged a solicitor to deal with the eviction and when they asked the agent for the court paperwork they didn't provide anything. So they have started again and served the notices a few weeks ago. So we just have to wait for it to proceed through the court process.

Comment

The perils of using an agent for important work....... some are good, most are not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Evacuation of Tenant
                    by berrahri
                    There was a landslide and my Tenant had to be evacuated. They cannot return because access to the property is not safe.
                    They had been reasonably okay Tenants, but as soon as this event occured they have treated me like the enemy! Everything I have advised appears to have been treated with suspicion...
                    19-04-2021, 00:23 AM
                  • Reply to DPS dispute resolution service
                    by Chester Perry
                    £900 deposit and the Letting Agent requested the whole deposit as the cleaning and redecorating to fix non wear & tear damage was estimated at approx £4000 and also they stole / took 2 x fridge freezers. Independent inventory on moving in and moving out backed all this yet the TDS awarded £700!...
                    18-04-2021, 21:14 PM
                  • DPS dispute resolution service
                    by Thomasdiets123
                    What's everyone's experiences with the DPS dispute service. Did you get what you claimed? Did you have good evidence to back it up?
                    Thank you....
                    12-04-2021, 16:37 PM
                  • Reply to Rent arrears
                    by Bixwier
                    Have any evictions ever gone ahead since cv19?

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
                    18-04-2021, 18:09 PM
                  • Rent arrears
                    by MP31
                    Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
                    To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
                    21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
                  • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
                    by Bixwier

how long is the backlog now? Are bailiffs actually working?

what happens if tenants say they have symptoms and are shielding?
                    18-04-2021, 18:03 PM
                  • Notice Period to Tenants
                    by annam222
                    Hi all,
                    I rent out my flat using an estate agents let & collect service. It is rented out using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement of 12 months (no break clause). The 12 months ends in August this year. I have just been told by the estate agents that "due to Covid the law has changed...
                    01-03-2021, 14:54 PM
                  • Reply to County court bailiffs
                    by Bixwier
                    18-04-2021, 18:01 PM
                  • County court bailiffs
                    by Perce
                    Hello All

What county court bailiffs do if they come to evict and the tenants say they are not feeling well?...
                    24-02-2021, 13:42 PM
                  • Reply to New AST under probate
                    by PGTV
                    I suppose someone has to pay for all this furlough money, so why not tax the dead more.

no wonder everyone is on a scam or fiddle. You can be like my parents - honest all their lives, but are getting hammered in death taxes. And both were failed by the NHS too
                    18-04-2021, 17:27 PM
                  Working...
                  X