X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nukecad
    replied
    Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
    And it might backfire in the end if these tenants became the problem themselves!
    That's what I was meaning, now two 'problem' housholds/neighbours (possibly warring against each other) instead of one.

There goes the neighbourhood, and that's how problem estates start.

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    I can see the attraction from a LL point of view, and the council would no doubt welcome another property to put 'hard to accomodate' tenants in..
    And it might backfire in the end if these tenants became the problem themselves!

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    I can see the attraction from a LL point of view, and the council would no doubt welcome another property to put 'hard to accomodate' tenants in.

Can't help feeling a bit sorry for the rest of the residents on the street though.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by Section20z View Post
    Brilliant. I was going to suggest asking the local Angels' chapter if they fancied a cheap clubhouse but this idea has a nice karmic feel.
    The idea from Flashback1966 is an interesting alternative, not something i would normally say to do but there are times you have to fight fire with fire and getting someone of a similar ilk maybe the perfect solution.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
    6. Lease the property under the council leasing scheme. I suggest you tip off the council about the issues, so they find the "right" tenant. Hopefully, the council will put a "hardy" tenant. Before leasing out, so as much preventative maintenance, so you don't have attend for any repairs.
    Brilliant. I was going to suggest asking the local Angels' chapter if they fancied a cheap clubhouse but this idea has a nice karmic feel.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Yes, not something I'd thought of, or would normally consider, but it does sound like it might be the best option

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
    Lease the property under the council leasing scheme. I suggest you tip off the council about the issues, so they find the "right" tenant. Hopefully, the council will put a "hardy" tenant
    This sounds like the perfect solution. But may not be possible if the property is mortgaged.

Leave a comment:

• oystersequel
    replied
    Many thanks for all your supportive comments.

Leave a comment:

• Flashback1966
    replied
    Reading your post makes me angry. I was in a similar situation and had to rent out my house due to serious problem neighbours (the kind who consider prison their second home).

There needs to be a fight back, against this kind of ASB. You need to write to the Government, to have better response.

I have work colleagues who bought a brand new luxury flat, and for people who lived in the social housing blocks, to throw fried chicken bones out of their windows into people's balconies. This is why some housing developers, have separate entrances for those in social housing. There has been a political backlash about such segregation and 'poor doors'. These politicians should live next to your neighbour, so they first hand experience these type of ASB problems.

In terms of next steps :

1. Install CCTV with good lighting and night vision. To collect evidence.
    2. Make the property secure e.g. windows and doors.
    3. If the occupant is a tenant, then through lawyers write to the owners and tell them you will be seeking compensation for loss of rents and ASB. They need to take action for eviction. Ask them what references they took. (if they happen to be a council lease scheme, then put the council on the spot).
    4. Get witness statement from your tenants.
    5. It will take a long time to evict (unless they happen to be a temporary accommodation (nightly kind).)
    6. Lease the property under the council leasing scheme. I suggest you tip off the council about the issues, so they find the "right" tenant. Hopefully, the council will put a "hardy" tenant. Before leasing out, so as much preventative maintenance, so you don't have attend for any repairs.

I don't think it is worth selling as you will get hit by CGT etc... You may have to declare the problems in your legal questionnaires (I think!?). Auction sale may be an option.

You could buy elsewhere, and find the same problem. A good neighbour moves out and a bad neighbour moves in.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    I have to concur with DPT57 - Find out first if this ' Gentleman' either owners said property, rents it privately or from the council/housing association. My job puts me in direct contact with morons such as this and i can assure you it is a long process to get rid of them (if they move at all), the process is slow and very evidence based and that was pre Covid, getting rid of them now will be years in the execution.

The type of tenure they have is key to where you go with this, his arrest for Police assault is a good start (not for the officer), this assists you, most of the ASB offenders do not go direct to this level and as such it is difficult to actually document what they are doing, so his action here is a real error on his part, you or your tenant have to log everything he does, any threats, damage or harassment etc, each incident log to the Police will count against him in any eviction case or action to be taken, evidence as much as possible and keep a log of any noise or other problems in a diary...... if said dimwit breaches the Covid regulations then again report it to the Police and keep the log number..... every single thing they do. But be prepared for a long slog, and as said you would have to declare the issues with the neighbors to any future buyer.

In my opinion having this type of idiot next door to your property is one of the worse things that can happen, its akin to a non paying savvy tenant who is determined to stay as long as possible, it can cost tens of thousands to resolve. All the best with this.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Handle it through CaB's suggestions for neighbour disputes. (Assuming England)

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...here-you-live/

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    This is the nightmare that many landlords, (including myself) live in fear of. I'm afraid that you would have to tell any prospective buyers of the issue with the neighbour if you try to sell it as well as any future prospective tenants, so there is not really any escape. I don't know of any easy way out of this, especially if the neighbours own the property. My only suggestion would be to move-in yourself and begin to log and complain to the Council about all the anti-social behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• oystersequel
    started a topic Forced to sell because of dangerous neighbours

Forced to sell because of dangerous neighbours

Hi,

I have rented a very nice small modern house in West Yorkshire for ten years with no problems. In September last year our long term tennant moved out because of issues with the next door neighbours. When the house was empty we went to re decorate. Straight away the neighbour played loud music, I asked her to turn it down. That night her husband came round hammering and kicking our door so we called the police.

Eventually new tennants moved in, however after ten weeks they also had to call the police due to aggession, intimidation and chants of EDL. The police arrived and the neighbour had a serious fight with the police officer, he is to be charged for this.

The tennant has now called me saying they are too scared to stay and will be leaving.

My dilemma is how can I let it again and repeat the same thing.

I feel I have no option but to sell it.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X