Right to rent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to rent.

I know that all LLs need to conduct a right to rent check on people that are over 18 and named on a tenancy, does the tenant/s receive a copy of the right to rent check? If the tenant does not receive a copy does this mean that the tenancy is not valid?

For the avoidance of doubt, a landlord doesn't have to conduct a right to rent check, it's not mandatory.
    It's a defence against a potential court case, so they'd be daft not to do it, but it's not actually an issue if they don't unless they need the defence.

Currently, the legislation is being challenged on human rights grounds because it's effect is racist. So prosecutions are unlikely.

And no the tenants aren't entitled to anything related to the process and it doesn't affect the validity of a tenancy if they don't.
    Right to rent "checks" are usually copies of things owned by the tenant anyway, so they'd only be getting copies of their own documents anyway.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X