Tenant made property a HMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant made property a HMO

I let my 3 bed property to a couple. The property was formerly a HMO so had fire doors, and hardwired smoke alarms, but no locks on individual rooms (I removed them).They have now left. Letters are now coming for the T and his wife, T's brother and his wife (and they had a child) and an unknown person who does not seem to be related.

The house wasn't overcrowded, but was a HMO due to the other person.

I didn't know about this. What could have been the repercussions?

I have people in my property who aren't on the tenancy and I haven't done any checks. The tenants have moved out and given them access, and they have been living there for about four months now. I phoned the HMO and they said it was up to my tenants to have done the checks.

I don't see how there could be any repercussion as you had no idea it was happening, but as we know the law is an ass.

Comment

I can’t see you taking any blame or responsibility. If the local council aren’t aware, keep it that way. HMO requirements have got tighter lately so just make sure it doesn’t happen again

Comment

I wonder if your tenant turned himself into an HMO manager whilst totally unaware of the fact?

Comment

Originally posted by andybenw View Post
          I wonder if your tenant turned himself into an HMO manager whilst totally unaware of the fact?
          The person who created the HMO is the manager.
          It's possible that this wouldn't suit a local authority prosecuting some misdemeanor, but that's probably the right position.

It becomes an issue if you become aware of it, because your only option is to address it and serve notice if not sorted.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I didn't know anything about it until after the tenant had left and letters came for this other person. There were 5 adults living in the 3 bed house. The T and his wife, T's brother and his wife and small child, and the other person.

The neighbour had mentioned to me that there were lots of people coming in and out but when I asked the tenant about it he said there was only him and his wife living there.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X