tenant leaving and rent owed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenant leaving and rent owed

Tenant is due to leave in about a week, they owe a £1 under 2 months rent, how do I go about getting this rent owed to me?, presumably I will I have to go to court, if so any advice on how and what I need to do?

Originally posted by porridge View Post
    Tenant is due to leave in about a week, they owe a £1 under 2 months rent, how do I go about getting this rent owed to me?, presumably I will I have to go to court, if so any advice on how and what I need to do?
    Issue a Small Claim against them - you may as well wait until they've vacated so you have an exact figure for the debt, taking into account any deposit/damage to the property.

You'll need to find out where they will be living in order to get their new address for the paperwork. (If you don't know, but you do know when they are leaving, you might want to consider turning detective and surreptiously tailing them...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
      Issue a Small Claim against them - you may as well wait until they've vacated so you have an exact figure for the debt, taking into account any deposit/damage to the property.

You'll need to find out where they will be living in order to get their new address for the paperwork. (If you don't know, but you do know when they are leaving, you might want to consider turning detective and surreptiously tailing them...)

Thanks for that, what about the deposit held in the DPS?, what happens to that?, Do I need to make a claim from that for rent owed?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Signing tenancy agreement in advance and handover of keys
        by jpkeates
        It might burn down.
        The tenant or you might die.

Sign the agreement the day before or the day of moving in (you have to be there when they move in to check the smoke alarms anyway)....
        30-05-2020, 13:17 PM
      • Signing tenancy agreement in advance and handover of keys
        by bengal
        How soon in advance of tenancy can the agreement be signed? in this case it would be around 4 weeks in advance of tenancy start date.
        Is signing of agreement in advance a good alternative to a holding deposit? (in that it gives more certainty to the tenant?)
        When should keys be handed over...
        30-05-2020, 12:21 PM
      • Reply to Break Clause Notice
        by jpkeates
        In which case, I think you can give notice on 18th August to end on 17th October.
        30-05-2020, 13:14 PM
      • Break Clause Notice
        by danielson81
        Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question.

My tenancy agreement has a break clause in it, as I took over from the existing tenants I basically have the remainder of their tenancy term plus 12 months.

Does the text below, mean I can give notice from the 18th June and move out by...
        30-05-2020, 08:41 AM
      • Reply to Help required from renter
        by Bennu
        royw , I can access my landlady’s home. Which is good as there has been quite a few times I have had to help her after falling. If her son does decide to proceed with the rent increase I will be outlining the benefits of my rent remaining and the risk a new tenant could potentially bring. I have also...
        30-05-2020, 13:11 PM
      • Help required from renter
        by Bennu
        I am hoping that someone can help.

I have lived in a top floor flat above my landlady/landlord for 7 years. I do not share any facilities (my flat has a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room). There is a lock on the door to my flat.

Since my landlord passed away (3 years...
        30-05-2020, 11:30 AM
        by royw
        Do you have direct access to the rest of the landlady's home from the hall or does she have a locked door? If the former given LLs vulnerable state it would put her at risk if they let it to a stranger. Might be worth slipping it into the conversation with daughter who seems to be rather more concerned...
        30-05-2020, 12:58 PM
      • Reply to Signing tenancy agreement in advance and handover of keys
        by bengal
        Thanks DPT57 - Property is empty so no risk of existing t not leaving....
        30-05-2020, 12:54 PM
      • Reply to Break Clause Notice
        by danielson81
        Apart from the bit I posted, the other relevant bits are:

Note for Tenants
        This tenancy agreement is a legal and binding contract and the Tenant is responsible for payment of the
        rent for the entire agreed term. The agreement may not be terminated early unless the agreement
        30-05-2020, 12:49 PM
        by Bennu
        I would be refusing the increase as I have been helping my landlady out for several years, and not requested payment. This enables a saving of around £150-200 per month to them. It would also be disrespectful as he has recently requested further help from me at the same time as potentially raising...
        30-05-2020, 12:47 PM
      Working...
      X