Replacement tenant on fixed term AST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement tenant on fixed term AST

I found a new tenant to takeover my AST three months into a six month fixed term.

The landlord (agents) accepted this via email. I moved out and the new tenant moved on the arranged date, but we didn't sign anything.

Is there any way this could come back to bite me, say if the new tenant did a runner and stopped paying rent?

Yes.
    Your original tenancy hasn't ended and you are still (technically) bound by the original agreement.

But it's probably alright.
    Replacing a joint tenant in this way is very common, particularly using London or National agents, and is almost impossible to do properly.
    It's very common for it to be done informally and wrong.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

But if theoretically, I transferred the tenancy to someone else who didn't pay the final month of rent and disappeared, would it be me or them who is liable for the outstanding rent?

Comment

In a joint tenancy, each tenant is liable for all the rent.
        The question is whether you’re still a joint tenant or not.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If they are accepting rent from the new tenant and have not actively pursued you for rent since the move, then they would find it hard to argue that they believe you are still the tenant. Was there a deposit?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X