MCOL & PCOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More troubles!

Although I requested a judgement for my money claim , a defence was filed a day later and was accepted and the judgement I requested was denied!!! . What happens now? - Do I have to go to court now to explain my case. The reasons the defendants use is covid 19, and that's why they owe the money to me!!! I feel that they are accepting the money owed, but saying that they have a valid reason not to pay me???? does this constitute as valid defence.

Comment

It sounds like a reason to pay more slowly not a defence.

Comment

Originally posted by OS7 View Post
        More troubles!Although I requested a judgement for my money claim , a defence was filed a day later and was accepted and the judgement I requested was denied!!!.
        When you claim someone owes you money and a defence is filed, pretty much regardless of what it is, there would normally be no default judgement and a hearing.
        That's just how the process is meant to work,

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

could you explain no default judgment? i am afraid i do not understand. So I present my case in a hearing with all the evidence, and if the judge agrees with all which is submitted, then judgement is given? do I need a solicitor for this?

Comment

You've made a claim against someone that they owe you money and have asked that the court finds that your case is correct and to order the person you are making a claim against to pay you.

If the court writes to the defendant and they don't respond, the court will simply accept your word and make an order by default.

If the defendant offers a defence, the court has to listen to what they have to say, compare it with what you are claiming and make a judgement based on the facts and the law.
            You can't expect a court simply to accept what you are claiming if someone else is claiming that it's not correct.

With a small claim like this, the chances are that the existence of any defence at all will trigger a hearing and that no one will actually look at the case again until the day of the hearing.
            The hearing is fairly informal, and, if it is a small claims case, I'm not sure you can involve a solicitor even if you want to.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks jpkeats, sounds sensible to me. I have called the MCOL today to enquire on the next course of actions. I think they said it will move to court mediation service and then hearing. Well, it is for rent arrears, interest on arrears , possession order court fees and plus the money claim fees. I have all evidence, I guess I just have to be patient and go through this process with a clear head. Good start to 2021.....

Comment

Hi everyone,

My MCOL has moved to mediation service and i have completed the questionnaire from court to allocate mediation. As long my tenants feel the same way, mediation will go ahead. My query is, what can i expect in this mediation service. I am worried this may be just an non- event just like the court review for my possession claim. No called me on that on court review date and the claim went to court. Has anyone been in mediation for small claims. Thanks

Comment

My tenant asked for mediation then changed his mind. I asked the court what this would involve and what you do is try and come to some agreement or compromise. The tenant might agree to pay an amount each month, or might ask you to lower the amount, or whatever. I was prepared to stick to my guns and not lower the amount, should they have asked, but would have accepted repayments within a reasonable amount.

I think it might work in some cases, but by the time you've got your paperwork together, and issued the MCOL, the T has responded (they could have said they'd offer £x pcm, for example), and with the slowness of the process you've had a long time to think about repayment options, there's not a lot of point in mediation.

Comment

Hi, thank you for your reply. when you say your tenant changed his mind; what happened after - did you make your way to court?

I have issued the MCOL on the basis that my tenant said he is not going to pay me anymore, and I am hoping that MCOL would persuade him to pay or the very least register a CCJ on him. I am prepared take monthly installments; however what happens if they go back on their words after mediation - would I be still be able to take him to court with same claim.

Comment

The judge will always look favourably on a claimant who has agreed to mediation.
                      If the tenant agrees something in mediation and goes back on it, it's a lot easier to win the next claim (as the outcome of the mediation is binding).

Comment

thanks Jkpeats, this brings a little hope in me. However do I have to issue new MCOL following breach of mediation agreement?

Comment

I don't know, I'd guess it depends on the time scale.

Comment

Everyday there is a new problem! apart from the current MCOL that I am trying to initiate (as above) I also have successful CCJ registered under the tenants name for the first 3 months rent to be paid by judgement date 01/07/2020. The claimant was me and not letting agency. I initially did this as I thought tenants were going to move on in March 2020 as they showed evidence of house allocated by the council in Feb. However they didn't move, they turned the council house down as the covid situation was favorable to them to stay put after 16/03. so here we are! what happened after that was tenant suddenly nearing the possession hearing in Nov 2020, decides to pay some of the arrears which also covered the first 3 months rent in the CCJ (there is still a huge chuck of arrears left which I am trying to claim via the new MCOL). They paid it to letting agency and then it was passed to me (after all default fees and charges were deducted)

So now he is asking me for a letter to say he is satisfied the CCJ - well he sent this request via my letting agent and also asking for a up to date rental statement. he also said in his email that he knows that there is a eviction pause and he also added some notes on his health and his wife's health which is declining. Now the question is, do I have to provide this letter or can he prove himself with the rental statements. If he can prove it with the rental statements from the letting agency, so be it . However he paid it later than judgement date which is 01/07/2020 and rental statement does show the existing arrears as well- so will this satisfy the CCJ and he can access credit again. I am reluctant to provide a letter, however I don't want to do anything unlawful as well. any ideas on how to deal with this?

Comment

Are you required to provide him a letter, so he can get credit?

Frankly, I think you are too gullible to be a landlord, and should sell up when this guy finally moves out.

Comment

What health issues is he claiming?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Options if eviction ban is not lifted
                                  by Perce
                                  If I issued S8 and he payed off the arrears then I would not be able to claim possession of the property. Is that right ?...
                                  16-04-2021, 13:45 PM
                                • Options if eviction ban is not lifted
                                  by Perce
                                  Hello All

I am waiting for an eviction ban to be lifted but as time goes I lose hope that it will happen in the near future or ever. What then are our options to get our property back if the tenant never moves out ? My tenant won’t move out until bailiffs evict him. I have PO based...
                                  16-04-2021, 10:07 AM
                                  by jpucng62
                                  Or issue a MCOL for the arrears - especially if he has the money to pay - and keep issuing them every time he's in arrears.

Good Luck ...
                                  16-04-2021, 13:35 PM
                                  by nukecad
                                  If you are sure that he will pay the arrears if you issue an s8 then issuing that s8 seems an obvious move to me to get some money from him.

TBH I'm not sure that issuing a new s8 would cancel your existing s21 PO anyway? Someone with more legal eviction knowledge may comment on that....
                                  16-04-2021, 13:31 PM
                                  by Perce
                                  Slackjawedyokel - thanks. Optimism help as there is no other option.

I have made an offer/present to my T. to cancel many months of arrears for many thousands. Dead silence. So more ccjs to follow.

Good luck with the jab !...
                                  16-04-2021, 12:43 PM
                                • Reply to Waste disposal
                                  by Hudson01
                                  A fine !!!! What are you classed as, the carer for your tenant now

They are mad. Just tell them to jog on and stop bothering you....
                                  16-04-2021, 12:09 PM
                                • Waste disposal
                                  by Codger
                                  I have just spoken to a council officer who is trying to blame me as the landlord for tenants who put bulky waste into domestic bins.
                                  Given that the council collects tax from the tenants should not they approach the tenants first?
                                  What can a landlord do about messy tenants who do not follow...
                                  16-04-2021, 10:47 AM
                                  by Slackjawedyokel
                                  I continue to keep my fingers crossed 🤞 (although that does make typing on a touch screen difficult!)

I’m just hoping that the relaxation of lockdown goes well, as does the rollout of the vaccine (off for mine in about an hour), and that the Govt has no reason to continue with the...
                                  16-04-2021, 11:57 AM
                                • Reply to Estate Agent fees
                                  by ash5050
                                  You are asking for management, if you just want them to find you a tenant they'll probably do that for a flat fee instead
                                  16-04-2021, 11:55 AM
                                • Estate Agent fees
                                  by Affinity
                                  Hi.
                                  I need to find a new tenant for my one bedroom flat. As I have a new job and have little time to find tenants etc I have approached an estate agent.
                                  Does it sound reasonable to you getting charged 9 per cent +vat monthly for the management of the property (which also includes fee...
                                  15-04-2021, 21:39 PM
                                Working...
                                X