Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCOL & PCOL

Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement on this. I am presuming I will get a CCJ against the tenants as they have not defended themselves and then end date is very close.

However i wonder what my next actions should be. I do not have any confidence that tenants will leave the property on court designated date. The last email from tenant was very unpleasant and he also implied that he will not pay any more rent. I am hoping I can at least trasfer the CCJ to High court and then request HCEO to enforce the judgement. Is this possible during covid restrictions. the worst part is that that i know these tenants have some money in which they could spare for rent. I have written to the housing benefit team with evidence to say that housing benefit that tenants are being paid are not utilized for rent - i am unsure whether this will have any impact.

With the possession order, i guess i just have to wait around until covid 19 restrictions are lifted before applying to transfer to High court. Any other ideas? TIA

You've done the right thing, informing the housing team, as they have made themselves intentionally homeless, but remember the T's can use the money how they like under the UC (the concept was good, but reality is that it hasn't worked, the council/government wanted the T's to manage their money better, but without basic money management knowledge they will just spend it on the things that matter, as they trust that the council will also come to their aid).

I would use court bailiffs, as the HCEO will cost more, and I doubt you will see this money and wont be able to get anything back. It will all depend upon when the HCEO's will execute the order as apposed to the County court bailiffs, you can email them to ask them their lead times.

Follow through with the CCJ, and wait upto 6-7 years to enforce it, if their circumstances changes in that time (they win the lottery) don't do it now as it will be pointless.

Comment

I will be transferring to HCEO. Yes it is more expensive but I think it will be quicker and easier to communicate. Maybe I am wrong I did not have experience with County Court bailiffs.

Comment

thanks for your replies ash 72 and Perce. These are bleak times. I don't really know what to do? My plan now is to worry about possession order after covid restrictions and concentrate on the CCJ as mine own mortgage provider is already on my back for payment. Transferring the CCJ to high court cost £66 and then rest of the cost is billed to defendant. HCEO have a much higher chance of recovering the money and if they don't then the payment from client is £100. I thought perhaps I will go down this route. At the very least it will scare my tenants a bit!

Comment

OS7

I do the following ;

CCJ via MCOL (several have been done and enforced via HCEO) and transferring possession order to HCEO for eviction.

Comment

[QUOTE=Perce;n1137210]OS7

I do the following ;

CCJ via MCOL (several have been done and enforced via HCEO) and transferring possession order to HCEO for eviction.

Thanks Perce.

CCJ via MCOL will be achieved. However once transferred to HCEO, can it be enforced in lock down conditions ? I hope to go down this route.

possession order is achieved but what will I gain by transferring it HCEO in current conditions. Eviction can't happen in lockdown conditions be it by county court bailiffs or HCEO. It is a section 21 eviction.

Comment

I always use county court bailiff, and from what I've read here recently, it seems to be the best option.
              To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Until when is this lockdown ? Will the courts be working ? If the court are not working we can not transfer to HCEO.

JKP

Please tell me why do you think they are better ? They say they take much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Perce View Post
                  JKP

Please tell me why do you think they are better ? They say they take much longer.

Because you have to apply to a judge to transfer to an HCEO. This will involve another hearing where the judge will try to find some reason to not cooperate. (Do you still think that will be quicker?)
                  To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

JKO - thanks.

I understand that from 20th September you do not need permission from the court to transfer to HCEO but you still need to submit an application.

Are you sure this will involve another hearing ? Does this happen to everybody who applies ?

How long did it take you to hear from the County Court after you have applied?

Comment

JKO - thanks.

Around a month from application to eviction IIRC.

Comment

Thanks.

It is very good. Maybe it was a very long time ago. I read that it can take up to 6 months.

Comment

JKO - thanks.

I understand that from 20th September you do not need permission from the court to transfer to HCEO but you still need to submit an application.

Are you sure this will involve another hearing ? Does this happen to everybody who applies ?

I'm not sure that's correct, where did you hear that? To my knowledge transferring up to High Court always requires leave of the County Court, if it wasn't permitted in writing in the original order the Claimant would have to apply back under N244 for permission. You'd also want to ask that they include that the eviction can be enforced in lockdown.

Comment

Hybrice -

How can I ask that the eviction can be enforced during the lockdown if there is no anti social behaviour and pre COVID rent ?

see below.

“Court permission is no longer required to transfer your order to the High Court for enforcement by a High Court Enforcement Agent”

Comment

Hybrice -How can I ask that the eviction can be enforced during the lockdown if there is no anti social behaviour and pre COVID rent ?
                              Enforcement isn't currently stayed "during lockdown", it's currently stayed until the 11th January.

I expect it to be extended, but that's simply a prediction.

There is no difference between HCEO and CC bailiffs in the current stay.
                              Neither type of organisation can retake possession, unless there are significant pre-March 2020 arrears, anti-social behaviour or trespass.
                              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Increase
                                by TREK
                                I have no intention of evicting my tenants but funny you should mention £50 per month as i thought that would be a reasonable amount as well....
                                18-10-2021, 20:07 PM
                              • Rent Increase
                                by TREK
                                I am a landlord and have been letting a property out to tenants for £600 PCM for 4 years with no rent increases, i have not had my eye on the ball for 18 months and have just found out that very similar properties in the area are going for £800 PCM. What is the maximum i could raise the rent at the...
                                18-10-2021, 17:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rent Increase
                                by jpucng62
                                I would suggest you might get away with £50 pcm increase with an explanation that a rent has not gone up for 4 years so there needs to be a significant rent rise. Then £25 cpm each year until you have caught up bit. Seems unfair to evict tenants for you taking you eye off the ball!
                                18-10-2021, 19:59 PM
                              • Reply to Rent Increase
                                by TREK
                                Landlords are actually getting £800 as there is a massive demand in the area as very few properties available for rent, the market has gone crazy, £1200 for a 3 bed semi in Liverpool....
                                18-10-2021, 19:19 PM
                              • Reply to Can I use an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement for a 2 month rental?
                                by stanleyman
                                This is the advice I got from a lawyer when I showed them the leasehold agreement FYI - (I was asking whether I was permitted to receive air b n b guests under the terms)
                                The lease terms are ambiguous .

If you enter into an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) with any occupier the occupation
                                18-10-2021, 19:00 PM
                              • Can I use an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement for a 2 month rental?
                                by stanleyman
                                Hi! I would like to rent out the flat I own on a short-term 2 month basis. My freeholder permits me to have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement so I would like to get one in place for my guest and then buy appropriate landlord insurance to cover me for public liability, personal injury, damage to...
                                16-10-2021, 10:42 AM
                              • Reply to Rent Increase
                                by Neelix
                                Is the £800 what they are being advertised for or what LL's are actually getting?
                                18-10-2021, 18:58 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21 abolition - timetable
                                by Kape65
                                Thanks, that sounds hopeful, so I'm guessing their is no way they can just abolish it overnight. I have a property that will not make the proposed C grade so I am going to sell it now because I can see it becoming a major headache when S21 is gone. I was hoping not to issue notice before Christmas if...
                                18-10-2021, 18:28 PM
                              • Section 21 abolition - timetable
                                by Kape65
                                I know that abolishing Section 21 is not yet a done deal but is looking likely. Do we know when the governments white paper is likely to show it's face and how long after that before we will not be able to use Section 21 ( a crystal ball question I know ). I'm hoping to repossess at least one more property...
                                18-10-2021, 14:30 PM
                              • Reply to Can I use an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement for a 2 month rental?
                                by stanleyman
                                Thankyou - I didnt realise that there was this degree of subjectivity in place regarding what an ASL was or wasn't. Government guidance on ASL's doesn't say anything about a minimum period and so I assumed there wasn't one.

Regarding my leasehold agreement, it says:

"Not...
                                18-10-2021, 18:25 PM
                              Working...
                              X