Are Section 17 notices applicable to residential tenancies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Section 17 notices applicable to residential tenancies?

LL claims I owe rent for a tenancy which ended three years ago.
    However, Section 17 of Landlord and Tenants (Covenants) Act 1995 says a tenant won't be liable to pay unless the landlord serves them with a notice within six months of the missed payment, stating the charge is due.
    Does this apply to residential tenancies or only commercial tenancies?

From a quick read, well yes, but that section doesn't say what you think it says.

This section applies where a person (“the former tenant”) is as a result of an assignment no longer a tenant under a tenancy but—
    That doesn't say former tenant as a result of the tenancy ending.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Commercial tenancies only as far as I am aware

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        Commercial tenancies only as far as I am aware
        "“tenancy” means any lease or other tenancy and includes—

(a) a sub-tenancy, and

(b) an agreement for a tenancy,

but does not include a mortgage term;"

Nowhere I can see within the Act does it restrict it to non-residential tenancies.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X